Processing a bass track.

Author
rob.pulman
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
2008/09/22 18:52:36 (permalink)

Processing a bass track.

I've borrowed a Music Man bass, and going to be recording for the first time with a real bass guitar - in my songs I've previously used MIDI for the bass. Obviously, the biggest difference apart from the sound, is the volume changes in the notes (I'm a lead guitarist and finding it difficult to keep an even tone through the track, volume fluctuations mainly)

What's the best starting point once I've got my track recorded? Which effects/compression/eq etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
post edited by rob.pulman - 2008/09/22 18:55:20

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass

4 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Processing a bass track. 2008/09/22 19:34:51 (permalink)

Hi Rob

With bass guitar you will definitely give yourself fewer problems in the mixing stage if you record with a reasonable amount of compression - in other words, try and get as level an average signal as possible.

I use the word 'average' deliberately - you need to use just enough compression so that the recorded sound doesn't even up the sound so much that the dynamics of the performance are lost.

Once you've got this 'decent' recorded signal to work with, what you do with it effects-wise really depends on what you want in the particular song. EQ is probably the most used tool for bass guitar and often it's what you cut that makes more of a difference than what you boost.

The best advice I can give is to experiment Rob - but to start off, working with a good, well compressed mono, centre-panned bass signal is a good place to start.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

rob.pulman
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    RE: Processing a bass track. 2008/09/22 20:34:40 (permalink)
    Thanks Steve this is some of the basic stuff I needed.

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    rotaholic
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Processing a bass track. 2008/09/27 21:56:51 (permalink)
    First thing is make sure that bass is set up correctly ie big low end notes sound as loud as an equal note on another string. Make sure it has new strings. The only way you are going to get a great well rounded sound is through performance, if your playing isnt up to standard then keep practising or try changing technique.
    I too have been trying for along time to get a kick arse bass track happening and I have thrown every plugin I have at it and couldnt get it right. A guy I know came round to do a radio jingle and played the track once on his ernie ball and I didnt even need to touch it after that it was that good. Had to do slight eq changes at mixdown but it was all playing.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Processing a bass track. 2008/09/27 22:16:36 (permalink)
    Rob... I was gonna say I don't process the bass track at all...however, I use SFZ with a bass font so it's all fairly consistant...compression is in the mastering stage.

Using a live bass, and being a guitar player.... I understand your dilema. When I try to play a bass guitar... well... it takes some time to knock off the rust.... I would practice to try to become as consistant as possible and use a compressor also. the compressor will even out the variations in levels and give a guttsier sound.

just don't over compress.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/09/27 22:19:04

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1