setting up mic preamp to computer

Author
lordtech
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
2008/09/23 01:16:17 (permalink)

setting up mic preamp to computer

im planning to buy Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i/o or anything like it; for vocals and drum recordings. i would really like to be able to record all the individual drum tracks at a time. Anyways, i would really like to know how to set this up from the hardware itself to my laptop / pc. My laptop did not have firewire and using Sonar 7PE as my main DAW.

If there's any weblinks tht shows how the cabling goes, tht would really be helpful.
I have to learn this on my own by asking anyone here because i dnt go to music engineering school and dnt have anybody in my town tht knws anything about proper home recording.

S7PE, ACER 7720G (T7300 CORE 2 DUO, 1GB DDR2), LINE6 UX2, LEXICON OMEGA, KORG D1600 MIXER, IBANEZ RG & SIGNATURE K7 SERIES, PEAVEY MKII MODULE, AMPLITUBE METAL... im jez an ordinary metalhead \m/

3 Replies Related Threads

bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    RE: setting up mic preamp to computer 2008/09/23 01:47:36 (permalink)
    Look for an interface (search at sweetwater.com or guitarcenter.com, for example) that has a USB connection and 8 mic preamp inputs. All of your microphones will plug into these connections (Mic -> mic cable -> mic pre connection on interface). The only other connection will be a USB cable that connects the interface to the laptop. The software that comes with the interface will include all the necessary drivers (the software that lets the interface and computer communicate) so you should be good to go.

If you want to add a MIDI keyboard or controller of some sort, your interface will likely have a MIDI port built in to it. In that case, you would just connect a MIDI cable to the MIDI OUT port on your keyboard/controller and to the MIDI IN port on your interface.

Next, you will have to go into the Audio and MIDI setup options in Sonar so you can tell it about the interface and MIDI connections. This is all explained in the Sonar Help that is included with the program (Press F1 and it should pop up on your screen). Sonar also includes a lot of good tutorials that you really should work through to learn how Sonar works and how you can work with it.

Once you've done that, come back to the forum with your questions. There are usually lots of helpful people here who can guide you. Be warned, though, that the first thing they'll recommend is working through the tutorials, so be sure you've already done that and be sure to say that you've already done that. That way, everybody can move on to solving your problems with a common basis to work from.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: setting up mic preamp to computer 2008/09/23 02:33:32 (permalink)
    While USB is theoretically as capable as firewire, you will find the best implementations of a mic or git pre are firewire based.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    lordtech
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: setting up mic preamp to computer 2008/09/23 02:52:00 (permalink)
    thnx for ur kind reply.

im really interested to have this focusrite model since i can afford it. I look at it's specs, no usb, only firewire connection.
    I never use any hardwares connecting to firewire before. so im a bit aware of the lil' difficulties im gonna get understanding the connection.

another questions, where does the ADAT goes? some engineers did mention ADAT converters.. what does it do?

i have only been using interface like Toneport UX2 and it connects using usb. I wanna get line6 UX8 but users having problems like the mic input doesnt work, etc. i guess i really need to get much more reliable and recommended mic preamps.
    sorry i asked like a noob! meby i am \m/

S7PE, ACER 7720G (T7300 CORE 2 DUO, 1GB DDR2), LINE6 UX2, LEXICON OMEGA, KORG D1600 MIXER, IBANEZ RG & SIGNATURE K7 SERIES, PEAVEY MKII MODULE, AMPLITUBE METAL... im jez an ordinary metalhead \m/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1