MIDI Sounds

Author
Nutty
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2056
2008/09/23 14:52:08 (permalink)

MIDI Sounds

Is there a trick for making midi tracks flow? For example, I use my midi controller to insert the notation of the piece I want. When I assign an instument, it always sounds like I'm banging out 1 finger on a piano. There is no flow, even though I'm holding down the key so it does flow to the next note. I hope this makes sense. It's sounds very amateurish, choppy, cheap...you get the picture. I don't notice this in other peoples recordings.

Thanks.

Nutty /Annette
http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars

26 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 15:05:40 (permalink)
    This is just a guess, but have you tried turning off the snap to settings? It looks like a grid above the view you're looking at. If it's blue, it's on. If it's set to a particular note resolution, it may stop that note before you stop playing the keys. Right-click the grid to change it's settings. I've never had to adjust it while recording MIDI, though; it always records what I play, regardless of the snap to setting. Also make sure that your controller has it's touch sensitivity on, so the dynamics of your playing are reflected in the MIDI events that are recorded.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 15:18:35 (permalink)
    When you use the midi controller (AKA Keyboard) you must play it with the finess that a natural player on thay particular instrument would use. More than likely it is your playing technique that does that. If you play it choppy in a one finger style, it will sound that way when played back. Listen to Janet's piano playing...she is inputting the notes with a midi controller, but she is doing it like she is playing a piano (which she is) therefore the sound is smooth since the playing technique is smooth or natural.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    57Gregy
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 15:27:57 (permalink)
    I might have misunderstood your problem; you're not playing the keyboard while recording, you're using the controller to enter notes in the staff, right? If that's the case, I think turning off the snap to grid will enable you to enter notes of any resolution in the staff.
    You can also edit the start/stop times of the notes by right-clicking the notes, but that could be a huge task, depending on how many notes you have in the song.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

Nutty
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 16:15:41 (permalink)
    No, you were right Greg. I'm recording in real time. I have the controller set up like a keyboard. I turned off the grid but it didn't make much of a difference. It sounds worse for some instruments/sounds then others. I just picture Shroeder from Peanuts (or more like Snoopy) playing his little piano with one finger. I do have it so the keys (I don't know the right word right now) resonate? But the instruments don't sound that way. So, I changed my approach and am trying to do kind of an arpeggio of the piano chords. We'll see how that works. Or maybe I should try inserting the notes through PRV.

Guitarhacker...I'm playing with as much finesse as I can find. I'm not a real pianst, but I have played around a lot with the keys. Maybe there is a secret I'm not aware of. Janet do you do web lessons? That's a big hit these days!!

Thanks.

Nutty /Annette
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 16:30:40 (permalink)
    Annette--do you mean you hold down a note for 4 counts, but it only plays for 1 note? I don't have a clue why that would happen, but I'm curious to know what's happening. Yes, you can fix it in PRV, but there's got to be a way for it to hold as long as you're holding it. A midi note should hold for the whole song (at the same volume) if you hold it down that long.

And no, I don't do web lessons, but if I could find a way to do it and make money at it I might consider it. lol
    post edited by Mamabear - 2008/09/23 16:32:59
    57Gregy
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 16:37:02 (permalink)
    That's kinda strange. It should record the MIDI data as you play it.
    So if you record a single note and hold that note for several measures, it will only record a whole note in MC, regardless of how long you want the note to play? Just trying to understand your problem.
    Does it do it only when you have the staff view open, or does it happen in PRV or the track view, also?
    It may be a setting on the controller, I don't think MC would do this.
    Do you have the manual?

Greg 

Nutty
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 16:40:14 (permalink)
    Thanks Beagle...I can use the help.

Seems like almost every guitar sites I go to looking for tips offer web lessons now. Some were $S25 to $30 per half hour. So, it might be worth looking into!!! No, I was playing quarter notes, but they just sounded like a kid playing on the piano. So, it could be my technique. Maybe I'll record a clip and send it to you to see what I mean. Maybe I'm just too critical of my playing...not sure.

Thanks.

Nutty /Annette
    rob.pulman
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 16:42:31 (permalink)
    Annette there is the quantize function which I've been trying to use, but with little success. It's supposed to tighten up the note timings, durations etc. You can decide what length of note you want to quantize to (quarter, eighth, sixteenth etc), select the MIDI track and then PROCESS\QUANTIZE.

See if anyone else here mentions quantizing, they will probably know more about it than me (that's easy as I know nothing about it really lol)

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    57Gregy
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 16:47:43 (permalink)
    You may also wish to disable the Fill Durations and Trim Durations options before you enter notes on the staff. This will allow you to see the true durations of all the notes you enter. These options are discussed in

That's from the help file, but usually applies when entering notes in the staff with the mouse.
    No, I was playing quarter notes, but they just sounded like a kid playing on the piano.

So it looks right, and plays what you record, but it doesn't sound right?

Greg 

Nutty
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 16:59:18 (permalink)
    Maybe I'll do a few clips to show what I mean. It could just be me....not surprising.

In all honesty, I don't really know how to use the controller other than getting it to play through MC/TTS. I was saving that until I really got a handle on the mixing and deciding which functions would be best controlled through it.

Also, while I'm in the mood for confessing, I really haven't used piano roll view that much and I never used staff view. I recorded this in real time in track view. Maybe that makes a difference. I'm hoping I don't have to go in and adjust each note.

I'll go do that recording now......

Thanks.

Nutty /Annette
    Nutty
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 17:26:06 (permalink)
    Okay, I've posted a track on my soundclick page called "MIDI Notes". There are 3 clips. The first is violin (the worst), then the organ and then atmosphere. I went with atmosphere for the time being, but I'd like to know if there is a way to improve this. Again, it could be my playing. I'm just using the midi controller as an input..the sounds are from TTS. So, I'm not sure there is anything I can do to change the controller to improve this.

Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this is input real time. If that is the problem, then I'll have to learn how to adjust the notes in PRV or NV.
    post edited by Nutty - 2008/09/23 17:29:04

Nutty /Annette
    Mamabear
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 17:43:58 (permalink)
    Annette, it sounds to me like it's playing what you're playing.

For the violin: those notes need to almost overlap just a tiny bit and it's extremely hard to play them that way. For instance you're playing two of the same notes consecutively, so there's a pause between them--there has to be, because you have to lift your finger to play the note again. If you want it to sound like a violin, though, you'll only want a very tiny space between those notes. I play what I want on the piano, then I have to edit them in PRV--try it for fun--it's not really hard. You made need to change the snap to grid settings to get them to move in smaller increments. The violin on TTS-1 probably isn't gonna sound as nice as you'd like it. I wasn't happy with my strings until I upgraded to SHS6XL and got DimLE with it, which includes some great-sounding orchestra sounds. Well, great enough for my ears and my budget!

The organ would be the same thing--it's not really played like a piano. You can't use the pedal, but the notes have to sort of blend into the next ones. I also use the piano to play the organ sounds, but usually have to edit them too, in PRV, so there are no spaces between the notes. I realize a real organist would know more about it, but I'm doing all I can with the little knowledge I have of organs. I personally find them boring to play, which I one reason I never learned, but I know a few organists who make it look and sound fun!

And I echo what Steve said--don't get down on yourself cause you can't get your head around this stuff quickly. There's a LOT to learn here. I'm only a few months ahead of you, and I was asking most of the same things you're asking now. And yes, it DOES get to the point where it becomes easy, but for me, it's been after hours and hours and months and months of working at it. And without this forum I would have quit before I did a song! Hang in there!
    57Gregy
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 17:58:45 (permalink)
    I see what you're saying now.
    It's very hard to get non-keyboard instruments to sound natural using MIDI. There's a lot of technique to be edited in, such as attack, decay, sustain, and release (ADSR). The MIDI violin waveform if viewed on an oscilliscope may look identical to a real violin, but there is no soul to the MIDI sound that a person can imbue into the music when playing.
    I hear there is some great information in the 'Techniques' forum on how to humanize MIDI.

Greg 

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 21:15:39 (permalink)
    I have to agree Annette, that TTS-1 violin is probably the worst violin patch I've ever heard. Some of their other string patches are ok, but that one's just bad. If you get SHS7XL, it comes with Studio Instruments, which has a killer string section.
    Even at that though, the particular bit that you are playing would be unusual for a violin, and would probably sound choppy on a real one.
    Arpeggios, and long gliding notes are where strings shine.
    The organ sounds like what you might expect from an organ. A sound like this would benefit from some reverb, and that would make it more satifying to play.
    The atmoshere patch is the best here mostly because of the percussive nature of the piano. It fits what you are playing.
    This kind of plays into technique. Play intruments that are appropriate to what you are doing. And imagine yourself playing that instrument.
    (Sound familliar, Janet?) When you are playing a volin patch, imagine you have a bow in your hand.
    If you are playing a sax, imagine you are fingering the keys. In your head, play the "instrument".
    The TTS-1 patches don't seem terribly responsive to ADSR, but many other synths are, and Greg is on the money. These setting can be the difference between a good patch sound ok, or a good patch sounding great. In your quest for sounds, you will find some that sound, and behave, better than what you have with TTS-1.
    There's no secret to it really. Just experiment, and work on getting into the right mindset. The technique will come.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Nutty
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 21:25:17 (permalink)
    Thanks RobertB. I haven't used my imagination since the kids were young and watched Barney from morning til night. They deny it now, but I still remember!

Thanks Greg. I had a look in the techiques forum and did a search on "humanizing" midi tracks. Very interesting read. Many seem to use Frank's plug in for this. I couldn't find a link to where by buy it though. I don't know that I will yet. I'll try some of the other techniqes first. I'm just starting to branch out with this. I was a simple grab the guitar and sing kinda gal...now I'm trying to produce something a little more sophisticated (nothing wrong with a guitar and singing around the campfire though).

Thanks Janet. It will really come down to technique like you say. I will try to learn the PRV. I really haven't experimented much with it, but I will now. It's just so easy pluncking out the notes from the controller/keyboard.

Nutty /Annette
    Guitarhacker
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 21:31:17 (permalink)
    Part of it is the technique...and improving that comes from playing and maybe taking a few lessons.

you have to almost join the notes into one long series of notes with some instruments.... listen to a real fiddle/violin player and you will hear what I mean. ..... especially violin/strings tend to go from one note right into the next. playing with one finger ...this is near impossible.... you need to use more than one finger to accomplish this technique successfully. it takes practice, and the proper mindset.

I play the organ using the expression /sustain pedal.... you have to be careful not to hit and sustain dissonant notes....again...practice.

I agree that TTS voices.... especially certain ones, are less than authentic sounding.....using an authentic patch or font will give more realism to the instrument sound and actually make it easier to play. there are lots of free fonts that will emulate strings better than TTS.

As Robert said... when playing a violin patch on a keyboard...your mind must be playing a violin that is tucked under your chin.

BMI/NSAI

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 21:55:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RobertB

I have to agree Annette, that TTS-1 violin is probably the worst violin patch I've ever heard.

Annette , open up your Proteus and scroll down to the Str/Brs/Wd1, Str/Brs/Wd2 and Str/Brs/Wd3 presets.

They knock the TTS-1 violin into a cocked hat!

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Nutty
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 22:02:20 (permalink)
    Thanks Guitarhacker... I will work on it. I had contemplated taking piano lessons since I dropped the guitar lessons.

Thanks Steve for the great tip. I figured there would be something better there. TTS is not bad, but there are a few sounds that just don't cut it. I'm anxious now to get SHS 7XL because I've heard nothing but good about Dimension and Garriton Orchestra and now Proteus. I am having a small glitch again with either Proteus or myself, but I hope to iron it out soon and I will check out those presets.

Nutty /Annette
    Mamabear
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 22:20:05 (permalink)
    It's just so easy pluncking out the notes from the controller/keyboard.

Definitely! But you'll have to get used to editing them in PRV. There's just no way to get it just right on the keyboard.
    57Gregy
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/23 22:30:26 (permalink)
    And that's why I don't get involved with soft synths until all my plunkin' is done. But you have to use a soft synth, Annette, since you're using a controller.
    You can use a less-complicated synth while writing the song, and decide on the final synth/sound later. Don't let these glitches get in the way of making music.
    If you just want to experiment with the Proteus, you can close MC and open PVX in the stand-alone version and listen to the sounds and make notes of your favorites, and work on getting it into MC at a later date.

Greg 

Mamabear
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/24 20:11:39 (permalink)
    Bob--yes, that did sounds familiar!
    Nutty
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/09/24 20:31:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 57Gregy
    Don't let these glitches get in the way of making music.

LOL...I kind of cheated or took the easy way out (for now) I couldn't come up with a guitar part or sounds that I could use as a fill in, so I wrote a bridge. I'm not sure the bridge will work either, so I may have to come back to this. Either way, I will keep trying. It is just going to take forever for me to get this song done.

Nutty /Annette
    Nutty
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/10/07 22:00:15 (permalink)
    Man this is going to a difficult process for me to get these instruments to sound right. Only I can make a violin sound like a railway crossing!!!! I tried the Viola and Fiddle and they weren't any better.

On the bright side, I used envelopes for the first time and they are really easy. You were not leading me astray!!! The only thing I was surprised when I copied the clip, it did copy the enveleopes. I had 3, volume, volocity and pan!.. WOW eh...I took a big step forward GO NUTTY GO....

Thanks.

Nutty /Annette
    Guitarhacker
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/10/08 08:52:37 (permalink)
    Nutty...greg has good advice here...

You can use a less-complicated synth while writing the song, and decide on the final synth/sound later. Don't let these glitches get in the way of making music.

when you start a project..insert TTS and use it to do all the patches to get the tune recorded....

Then, after all the tracking is done, save a bundle of it in a remote drive, and start inserting the different synths and patches that will make the tracks sound better than the TTS patches.... I still do this from time to time, and it eases alot of the frustration in working with synths that I'm not real familiar with.

BMI/NSAI

Nutty
    RE: MIDI Sounds 2008/10/08 10:10:34 (permalink)
    Thanks I will try that. I'll just pretend that it doesn't sound like a train crossing LOL.. Otherwise, I'll just get stuck there or just pack it in, while I know I really want a violon or fiddle for this song!!

Thanks.

Nutty /Annette
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1