V-Vocal Problem

Author
Stevethesearcher
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
2008/09/24 12:49:34 (permalink)

V-Vocal Problem

I am having a problem with V-Vocal. I wonder if you could help me.

Last night I recorded some Vocals on an audio track in Sonar. I wanted to enhance them as I am not the worlds greatest singer so I decided to use V-Vocal.
I changed the audio track with the Vocals to a V-Vocal track and I opened the V-Vocal Editor.

With the V-Vocal track selected I clicked the Pitch Edit button so that I was in Pitch Edit Mode.

I made no selection as I wanted to pitch edit the whole audio track. In your book you say that V-Vocal will edit the whole track if there is no specific area selected. As I wanted to change the whole track I made no specific selection.
I then adjusted the Note Vibrato and Sense values. I put the Note Value to 80. The Vibrato to 100 and left the sense at 30.

I made sure the Pitch Follow button was set at 0

I then pressed the Correct button but absolutely nothing happened.

What I am doing wrong there? I must be missing something as the V-Vocal seemed to do absolutely nothing.

I would be grateful if you could tell me what I am doing wrong.

I

9 Replies Related Threads

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    RE: V-Vocal Problem 2008/09/24 14:02:11 (permalink)
    Maybe you're doing nothing wrong.....maybe you're a better singer than you think??

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    spacey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: V-Vocal Problem 2008/09/24 14:09:33 (permalink)
    Steve I don't use v-vocal and I'm not trying to be a smart***.
    Melodyn is the answer. And with DNA coming out soon hopefully, it would help with upgrade should you choose.

I tried V-vocal one time and got Melodyn.

Skull may have nailed it though.

Regards,
    Michael
    Stevethesearcher
    RE: V-Vocal Problem 2008/09/24 15:28:34 (permalink)
    Spacey-I have been told that I have to designate a scale in V-Vocal if I want V-Vocal to edit the pitch automatically.

Problem is I dont know what key my song is in. I just compose from instinct. I dont read or write music.

Does Melodyne auto correct pitch and if so do you have to designate a scale.Thats an important issue.

If pitch correction software is worth anything you would think it could analyse a series of notes and designate a key and scale for them or is that asking too much from software in 2008.

As for my singing abilities well be prepared to hold your hands over your ears when I post my song next week in Sonar.
    spacey
    RE: V-Vocal Problem 2008/09/24 15:39:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Stevethesearcher

Spacey-I have been told that I have to designate a scale in V-Vocal if I want V-Vocal to edit the pitch automatically.

Problem is I dont know what key my song is in. I just compose from instinct. I dont read or write music.

Does Melodyne auto correct pitch and if so do you have to designate a scale.Thats an important issue.

If pitch correction software is worth anything you would think it could analyse a series of notes and designate a key and scale for them or is that asking too much from software in 2008.

As for my singing abilities well be prepared to hold your hands over your ears when I post my song next week in Sonar.

Steve I think they offer Melodyn in more than one way...I got the plug-in.
    I put it on a track like an effect, when the track plays Melodyn captures when play stops. On mine the recording it makes is stored in my documents folder.
    It automatically shows the captured part on a grid that is notes. This grid can be modified. It also shows where pitch should be. Really is user friendly if I can use it out of the starting gate.

No you don't have to know how to write music. I think it's a great program or I should wouldn't have directed you that way.
    It's easy to change not only the pitch but nuances of the voice too. I haven't used it on anything but a voice recording.

Worth going to site and checking it out.
    Michael
    post edited by spacey - 2008/09/24 15:43:22
    Stevethesearcher
    RE: V-Vocal Problem 2008/09/24 16:13:09 (permalink)
    Thanks Michael for your advice. I appreciate it.

Look out for my song within the next week to 10 days. Its called "Sea of Souls" and its a good one bar dodgy singing hence the reason why I started this thread to try and help that problem.

I am hoping to have it in the song section early next week but delays are possible-Steve
    spacey
    RE: V-Vocal Problem 2008/09/24 17:52:13 (permalink)
    Your welcome Steve and I'll be looking to listen. Great title.

I had a friend sing a song that was part of a "challenge" at mixposure. Lyrics provided and write music to them.
    He just dropped by and listened to what I recorded a few times and we hit red.
    I had much fun with Melodyn...

The tune is "Prison of Love". I made some big changes you may notice now....and no discredit to my friend.
    I pushed him and told him why. He's a guitarist and doesn't claim to be a vocalist but I do enjoy his voice. Only time I've used it and that was right out of box.

Michael
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: V-Vocal Problem 2008/09/25 05:53:31 (permalink)
    Why not try correcting the most obviously flawed notes manually within V-Vocal?

You can get a much more natural result this way - alright it's time consuming, but it works really well, for me at least.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    spacey
    RE: V-Vocal Problem 2008/09/25 13:20:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bristol_Jonesey

Why not try correcting the most obviously flawed notes manually within V-Vocal?

You can get a much more natural result this way - alright it's time consuming, but it works really well, for me at least.

Before I ask you I wanted to say that I didn't put down V-vocal..I tried it once and we just didn't get along. I read so many issues people seemed to be having and read some very good things about Melodyn. So I got it to try. Much easier for me. Even though I don't have much use for it...nice to have.
    Just a preference thing for me.

My questions are about the "natural result". What does that mean? And correcting the notes "manually".
    I don't understand and curious. Sounds like it could be big differences in the way these programs work.

Thanks up front Bristol,

Michael

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: V-Vocal Problem 2008/09/26 04:39:22 (permalink)
    I've succesfully created and run over 80 instances of V-Vocal within a single project - all processing done live, no bouncing or rendering, along with a whole host of plugins, FX etc on a 40 track song.

Maybe it's my configuration that allows me to do this, but I really wince when I read about people having to bounce a V-Vocal track down to avoid glitching/crashing/phasing. In my opinion, it's all about how your machine has been setup, but I had mine built for me so can't really offer any guidance.

When I say natural - my experience with automatic correction is that no matter how subtle you want your pitch shifting to be made, you tend to get the same process applied on every shift, it's like using the same snare sample over & over again - it's noticeable.

By manually, I mean creating a V-Vocal clip from an existing vocal clip, then using the V-Vocal editor, go through each note, one at a time and make a decision about what needs to be corrected and what you can get away with.

It's easy to drag portions of the waveform up/down as necessary, you have various tools to help - pencil, eraser, zoom, vibrato, line - usual editor stuff.

I make a point of NEVER adjusting a note to the "perfect" pitch, and where there are double tracked vocals (or more) I always treat each phrase slightly differently to the others.

I never work on more than a short passage at a time - splitting a vocal clip into smaller short phrases is more intuitive and seems to put less of a strain on V-Vocal.

Not that I haven't had problems - a few times I've finished editing a section, only to find out that the passage won't play at all! Not even the original.

My workflow is to always save after editing and auditioning the edit before moving on to the next one.

It's very easy to stray into Cher territory if the sung notes are wildly off the mark - that's a sure sign of having to re-record.

Hope this helps.

Jonesey

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1