getting tracks out or Reason through Rewire

Author
xartrax
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2008/09/26 13:43:36 (permalink)

getting tracks out or Reason through Rewire

I've been successfull rewiring Reason 4 to Sonar Home Studio 6.
I can play the synths etc from the rack in Reason while I'm in Sonar.

I have recorded Redrum tracks and Maelstrom bass track in Reason sequencer. Now I use Sonar to play these tracks and simultaneously record audio vocal and guitar tracks into Sonar. When I play it all back it sounds great...like a whole band.

Question: How do I get all the tracks to play as one file in Sonar? (I have exported Sonar audio files as WAV and play them in Reason using NNXT or NN19 or even Recycled the audio into Rex2 files and play them using Rex Player in Reason)

But I would like to go the other way around...play everything (Reason and Sonar) in Sonar.

Or: Having the tracks in Reason and the tracks in Sonar...how do I export the whole thing from the Rewired Reason and Sonar to a file to burn on a CD for futute listening?

It just seems like I've got this good project that I like but part is in tracks on Reason and part is in tracks in Sonar but I can't get it all in one place to burn to CD....

I'm sure there are probably several ways to go about this so I'm open for all suggestions!
thanks all.
post edited by xartrax - 2008/09/26 13:46:47

7 Replies Related Threads

Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: getting tracks out or Reason through Rewire 2008/09/26 14:39:41 (permalink)
    It seems an odd way to go about.

Why not leave the audio in Sonar as separate tracks then bounce (Export) the whole lot from Sonar including the Reason synth track(s)?

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    xartrax
    RE: getting tracks out or Reason through Rewire 2008/09/27 00:02:52 (permalink)
    I have tried to export from Sonar as follows but still have problems.

I Rewire Reason through Sonar.
    I open a REX player in Reason and insert a REX file patch. I "copy REX file to track" in Reason. I go to Sonar and click play and I hear the REX file playing.

I go to Sonar and import a WAV file into an audio track.
    I set the audio file to "groove clip looping".
    I click play and I hear the REX track in Reason and the audio track in Sonar playing back together in syn. All is well.

I export from Sonar. When I play the exported file using WIN Media Player I do not hear the REX track...only the Sonar audio track is heard playing.

Are there other settings etc that will allow for exporting which will include both the REX track from Reason and the audio track from Sonar into one file?

thank you for patience...I am a novice and sometimes I just get really stuck on a point!
    serauk
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: getting tracks out or Reason through Rewire 2008/09/27 10:04:45 (permalink)
    Not sure but maybe that's a limitation in SHS6 - I'm using Sonar Studio 5 and it seems to work fine - don't recall doing anything to tweak Sonar to make it work - when you do the export, are you selecting the All Mix option?

CMWright
    xartrax
    RE: getting tracks out or Reason through Rewire 2008/09/27 11:41:14 (permalink)
    Hi
    Its kind of not likely that it would be a limitation in SHS6...
    I do select the "all mix option".

Have you actually recorded the Reason synths into separate Sonar tracks or are the tracks only in Reason with Reason rewired to Sonar. In other words, the only place my Reason tracks exist are in Reason, with the entire Reason mix rewired into Sonar.

up above Jonbouy suggested "then bounce (Export)"...do you do a bounce inside Sonar first then export out all tracks in Sonar (including the newly created "bounced" track)?

late last night I tried using the <edit> <bounce to track> command and it seemed to bounce the Reason tracks from Reason into a new track in Sonar....I then <exported> out of Sonar and if I was not dreaming all the music from both Reason and Sonar were exported (it was very late!) I'm not sure whether the newly created track by <bounce to track> included all Reason AND Sonar or whether the newly created track was combined with the Sonar audio tracks when I exported from Sonar.

I will play with this today. Seems like the <bounce to track> or <bounce to clip> might be the trick first, then <export>.
    serauk
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: getting tracks out or Reason through Rewire 2008/09/27 11:51:47 (permalink)
    I just did a simple test using Redrum instead of a Rex player -

opened a new Sonar project
    inserted Rewire-Reason
    when Reason came up, loaded Redrum, loaded a patch kit, put a patter on the Redrum, copied the pattern to a Reason track, then erased the patter from the Redrum
    went back to Sonar, added an audio track, played, could hear audio and Reason
    chose File:export, saved it to .wav, played the .wav, could hear audio and Reason

Bounce to clip will work, but it seems unnecessary if all you're doing is exporting the final mix, at least in my setup. Again, I poked around and didn't see anything that I might have tweaked to make this work the way it does, but that doesn't mean anything as its been a while since I've had to tweak anything in Sonar (or Reason for that matter)...

sorry can't be of more help... its all magic to me anyway...

CMWright
    xartrax
    RE: getting tracks out or Reason through Rewire 2008/09/27 11:59:02 (permalink)
    CMW
    thanks for quick reply!
    I will again try exactly what you did...busy with family this afternoon but will try tonight.
    yes it is all "magic"...I was a music major in college in 1970...all this stuff is truly AMAZING!
    Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: getting tracks out or Reason through Rewire 2008/09/28 10:19:22 (permalink)
    Sorry I lost track of this thread for a couple of days.

If you haven't sorted it out yet, it sounds to me like you are not selecting the tracks you want exported from Sonar before the Export.

Just select (in track view) all the tracks you want included by highlighting the square where the track number is which lights up (green here) to show its been selected, then by holding down the ctrl key select the rest of the tracks you want included in the same way.

Then when you choose File/Export/Audio make sure the 'What you hear' preset is selected and Export away.

HTH

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1