MC3 Midi to Audio problems

Author
Celsius005
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2008/09/27 14:41:43 (permalink)

MC3 Midi to Audio problems

Hello everyone!
I've been using Music Creator 3 for quite some time now, and I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I've never been able to figure out how to convert my midi tracks into audio. I scanned the threads in this forum many times trying to find an answer but to no avail. I understand that you guys are experts with this, so I hope you don't mind helping a technologically challenged 17-year-old out. I'll try to be as specific as possible.

What I'm using:
Windows XP (SP2)
Music Creator 3
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard
Casio external midi keyboard

Setup:
Audiophile 2496 soundcard properly installed w/updated drivers
Midi cable connecting 'Line-out' of external keyboard to 'Line-in' of soundcard
Midi cable connecting 'Line-in' of external keyboard to 'Line-out' of souncard to hear playback

Haha I haven't a clue about computers and tech so please bear with me.
I've read all the Cakewalk tutorials including the many insightful ones posted on this forum. I liked the simplicity that the MIDI to AudioWeb guide offered (it says Sonar but also works for MC..?), but I still couldn't end up with an audio file. I think this is because there's no activity on the dB meter thing (not sure what it's called). I arm the inserted audio track for recording and click the record button, however everything gets recorded as a straight line.

Screen capture taken during recording:
http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cwmcpickd8.jpg

I think this is the right way to record multiple midi tracks into a single audio file, so I'm guessing it may just be a hardware configuration problem. I once read somewhere that the Driver Mode needs to be set to ASIO for the M-Audio soundcard, but I get the same problem whether I switch it to ASIO or MME. I also tried using the DXi softsynth thing but couldn't get that to work either.

Right now all settings for MC and the Audiophile 2496 soundcard are set to default ones. As I said earlier, I really have no idea about tech configuration and what everything means despite having read books and such, so can you guys help me out here? If it's a hardware/config problem then I'd appreciate it if you can tell me how to set everything up. It's been several years and I feel like I'm so close to finally being able to make nice mp3 files of my songs. At this point I'm willing to do anything to get this right, even if it means buying hundreds of dollars worth of more equipment.

Any help will be very much appreciated! Thanks!

p.s. I will laugh if my problem is a really simple one.

6 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: MC3 Midi to Audio problems 2008/09/27 14:48:59 (permalink)
    C....

There's no shame in not knowing something... to convert this stuff to audio you have to insert a soft synth. I'm assuming that you have the audio working perfectly from your post.... so here we go.

Go to my site at www.herbhartley.com I have set up a site with a page or two that should help you with this very topic. Just substitute YOUR sound card in place of mine and if you have a different synth (I'm thinking you have Ederol and not TTS) just substitute it for TTS in the setup.

The info assumes that you have the audio working and a midi source such as a keyboard. It takes you from square one to having 3 different patches (instrument sounds) playing from ONE instance of the synth. If after working through this you still have trouble or questions,,,,, post again.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Celsius005
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: MC3 Midi to Audio problems 2008/09/27 21:31:47 (permalink)
    Thank you so much for your reply!
    Thanks to your guide I was able to insert the soft synth correctly. After that I guess I just need to 'bounce to tracks' in order to record the midi in the soft synth. Everything works just fine now!

Once again, thank you very much!
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: MC3 Midi to Audio problems 2008/09/29 13:12:36 (permalink)
    Another method, that is a bit slower, but allows you to use the sounds from your keyboard would be to attach a audio cable from the Casio, to the line in on the sound card, (audio line in not midi in) mute all but one midi track, and the arm an audio track and hit record and it should record the synth sounds of the casio triggered by the midi data in MC3. Repeat for each midi track one at a time for each instrument.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: MC3 Midi to Audio problems 2008/09/29 14:20:44 (permalink)
    I use that ^ method often for some sounds my keyboard makes which are adequate or not available with my current soft synth line-up. Or I haven't discovered them yet.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: MC3 Midi to Audio problems 2008/09/29 16:09:58 (permalink)
    Say what? You got it working...OK that's cool...I think you mean "bounce to audio".... that's the process of recording the synth to an audio track so you can effectively shutoff or remove the midi track & synth and just be working with audio tracks.....

I hear tell it's possible...just kidding, yes, it can be done, however, I do not use it very often so I'm not up to speed on how to do it...I think I did it ONE time.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: MC3 Midi to Audio problems 2008/09/30 01:58:29 (permalink)
    Herbie, that hat is priceless!

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1