clean lyrics?

Author
JChase
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 56
2008/09/30 03:16:34 (permalink)

clean lyrics?

i have a problem , i need to make some mixes for an FM radio station , but 99 percent of my musc library is dirty music , so i need a way to clean the dirty lyrics out of my songs . any one have any good ways of doign this ?

10 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: clean lyrics? 2008/09/30 07:44:27 (permalink)
    The best way is to start with clean lyrics.... aside from that.... that's a hard thing to try & fix with prerecorded music.... if you had the original tracks you could do a punchin/out and replace the words in question...but after it's all mixed down, that's difficult at best.

Another suggestion...start buying clean lyric music and that will give you a bigger selection to choose from in your library.

my 2 centavos....
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/09/30 07:45:15

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    JChase
    RE: clean lyrics? 2008/09/30 07:48:02 (permalink)
    lol first off , im a dj , i dont buy music , people send me music , im in record pools , record laels send me music . But alot of the time i get it with out any clean version .

that aside , there must be a way to cover up lyrics , im sure someone has doen this before
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: clean lyrics? 2008/09/30 07:59:08 (permalink)
    Wow...I wish people would send me free music.... !!! DJ...means you make money at this...? So buy a few clean CD's and mix them in the music too....

another option.....

Excuse my ignorance on the aspect of DJ'ing.... don't you guys cut from tune to tune...? so cut to another tune a split second before the filty word..... keep jumping from tune to tune as needed...hopefully you can find enough clean material in the tune to do this...?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: clean lyrics? 2008/09/30 12:06:45 (permalink)
    First off, welcome to MC JC, I kinda have to say, it falls under the lipstick on a pig theory. I mean the DJ world for whatever you want to paint it lends itself to this kind of problem. I took a look at your myspace site, and hip hop, and that sort of venue leans toward sex drugs and ganster mentaility. I do not point this out to be offensive, or demeaning at all, but with dozens of links to sites with scantly clad women, drug and thug themes, even if that is meant to make a counter point, it still links you to that thought process. The rap, hip hop world is one strongly attached to bad language, drug culture, crime, dirty sexual content, viewing women as nothing but carnal objects, and offensive behavior. If you roll in the mud you will get dirty. Maybe if this offends your sensitivity now, it is time to make a CLEAN break from it and change the birds you flock with. Taking the dirty words out of a song with a dirty intent, does not really clean it up, most folks remember that word anyway. Ever seen a movie cleaned up for TV, and still you remember that removed word. Just saying, no what i mean Vern?!?!

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: clean lyrics? 2008/09/30 12:28:49 (permalink)
    Most FM radio stations I've listened to will play songs like "Who Are You" without editing out the word.
    With this software, you can certainly bleep out parts, but it will bleep all the sound, not just the word.
    Just set up your mic to record on another track and yell "BLEEP" whenever there is a censorable word.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: clean lyrics? 2008/09/30 15:14:45 (permalink)
    There is a method for removing vocals almost completely from a track that involves inverting the phase of one of the stereo tracks and then recombining it with the other channel.

This can definitely be accomplished in Audacity - I assume that with a bit of selective editing you could successfully remove the offending vocals. It's time consuming for sure and by no means perfect - I think the bleep method might be more practical.

There are two main drawbacks apart from the time it takes - you end up with a mono file, this might not be too much of a problem for live DJ work though.

Secondly, the process seems to remove everything from the centre of the stereo image to a greater or lesser extent - this means bass and kick drum as well as vocals, although they don't seem to be quite so sensitive to removal as do the vox.

There's a pretty nifty video on how to do it on YouTube - I did a quick experiment and it does work for wave files as well as mp3s.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqXiKYG3J7M

Hope that ******* helps (see, it works )

Steve

Edit - typo
    post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2008/09/30 15:18:01

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

JChase
    RE: clean lyrics? 2008/09/30 18:57:34 (permalink)
    thank you , i might just use a bleep method , im not doign anything live , i pre-record my mixes and then send them to radio stations and they play them .
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: clean lyrics? 2008/09/30 19:01:54 (permalink)

I guessed so!

Plus you'll need to maintain stereo for those purposes.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: clean lyrics? 2008/09/30 21:06:42 (permalink)
    Man, I've been sending my stuff to radio stations for years and they never get played!

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    JChase
    RE: clean lyrics? 2008/09/30 21:08:52 (permalink)
    lol , i do have the benefit of having the slip n slide name behind me , so more people lsiten to my stuf
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1