Live design using the groove matrix...

Author
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
2008/10/01 15:51:30 (permalink)

Live design using the groove matrix...

I'm contemplating using the groove matrix as a live triggering mechanism for a theatrical sound design front-ended by my M-Audio TriggerFinger. Ideally, I'd like to put a few variations of a sound on successive pads so the operator can "play" a cue with options to make it more or less intense.

What I'm wondering is: can the groove matrix crossfade between triggered elements? So that the sounds blend a little?

And, can you set a cel as a "kill" cel, that stops others playing, and can you assign a fade time to that?

Thanks!

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    

17 Replies Related Threads

wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/01 19:57:35 (permalink)

Trigger Finger has a few knobs and a few slide switches

With a little programming of things like volume and cutoff and resonance filters on your generated sounds or device chain fx, you can do all of the above using those controls as well as controlling groove matrix with the pads

I believe

jardim do mar
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1247
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/01 21:55:49 (permalink)
    well, ,,,, after reading the "using the the groove matrix " help file,1000+1 times,,,,,,,(um,like i never thought ,,i'd say that ,,,but the "G matrix is deep,,, ya know,,, i would assign remote control to track volumes ,track volumes can share the same controler,,,,,,,, remote control the matrix pads ,,, an do a little "wash on,,, wash off,,,(coordinationfor fade in-outs,,, ya know ,,,,,, if ya want a ,,,,,,,,live spontaneous thing going on,,,, ya could also use the cycone ,,,in fact ,,,the cyclone ,,,,,, gets ya deep in the groove,,,,,,um,,or ya could ,,,,,produce your.... project ya,,, know,,,rehearse it,, with automation,,,,etc,,,,, then just hit play,,,,,, or perhaps,,,,,set up the cyclone in the groove matrix,,,,, and get matrixized,,,,,,,,,record your performance,,,,,,,,,,,kinda like,,, a live production,,,, ya know,,,,,,, anyways ,,,,, so ya see,,, there are many ways ,,,,, ta do this with p5 ,,,,, i think ,,,,well ya know,,,, it depends on what ,,,,,,you "click with,,,,,and lay it down,,,,,,, ya know,,,,,,,p5 stimulates the senses,,,,,

marcella
    And Remember,,,,One thing at a Time.....
    DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/01 23:08:49 (permalink)
    What I'm wondering is: can the groove matrix crossfade between triggered elements? So that the sounds blend a little?

You can, as Wrench said, being creative.

And, can you set a cel as a "kill" cel, that stops others playing,

Yes, the buttons above the groove matrix cells (the start and stop for each column of cells) can be midi-assigned too.

and can you assign a fade time to that?

No, but you can midi-assign a fader to the master bus.

Keep in mind, all your actions during groove matrix play are recordable as well.

I have authentic analog drum machine samples.
    wrench45us
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/02 08:56:48 (permalink)

The people who do this as part of their act and/or their living, put a great deal of preparation and practice into it.

Please report back and let us know how this goes.

Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/02 10:00:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wrench45us

The people who do this as part of their act and/or their living, put a great deal of preparation and practice into it.

Please report back and let us know how this goes.

Definitely, please let us know how it works out. I chair the Communications Board for my church's Annual Conference (it's a geographical area, like a synod or a diocese). Among what we do is to help churches adapt existing technology for alternate and wider uses, and this would be a great one to have at hand.

Cheers,

Russ

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/02 11:43:20 (permalink)
    I'm contemplating using the groove matrix as a live triggering mechanism for a theatrical sound design front-ended by my M-Audio TriggerFinger.
    I won't claim to be a GM expert. I've hardly used it at all, but I will relate a few got'chas to watch out for regarding the MIDI Remote Control.

First off, it's very easy to use the Learn function to 'bind' external controller messages. If you want to trigger from note values, keep in mind that it 'defaults' to Note On / Note Off in the most common approach. That is, you'll need to hold a note to have the core pattern continue to loop, as it will release when you lift your finger from the key. If you'd rather have a latching mechanism - note triggers cell/column; second note releases cell/ column - use Note On instead. You can set this either manually, or by hitting OK in the dialog before releasing the key.

Secondly (and this is more disturbing), the safest MIDI Remote Control approach is to apply it almost as a 'mastering' stage. There are many problems that can occur if you bind controllers first, then begin re-arrangement of the patterns. It's a strange mixture of 'assignment by cell' and 'assignment by pattern'. Forgive any errors here (from memory), but here are some things that I've noticed:

- Dragging a pattern to another row erases the MIDI Remote Control assignment.
    - Dragging another pattern on top of an existing one destroys one or both assignments.
    - Dragging another instance of the same pattern on top creates a 'phantom' MRC assignment.

This 'phantom' is not related to anything, but it remains in the MIDI Remote Control dialog. It cannot be deleted by normal means.
    The 'bailout' procedure is to save the project file, then re-open it again. I'll add more when I'm in the position to revisit this again.
    wrench45us
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/02 16:15:45 (permalink)

now that sounds more like the quirky host we've come to know and love

bear in mind that Groove Matrix was an add-on to the original architecture -- tacked on to compete with Live
    which was really designed from the start to do this sort of thing

but who knows what it's midi note trigger/ control assignment implementation is like
    which seems to be the crux of the Trigger Finger (and others) interface

so advanced preparation and practice

SteepLearningCurve
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 281
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/03 01:37:10 (permalink)
    You also could load multi samples onto individual pads in velocity and then assign velocity pads to trigger finger pads. You could control the volumes with different velocities then.

http://www.soundclick.com/steeplearningcurveexperiment

http://www.soundclick.com/franklintaggart
    dburns
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/03 08:40:00 (permalink)
    jardim do mar,

I'd like to know what you are saying, but all those commas really get in the way. Would you please consider leaving them out?

Thanks.

Dave Burns
    Lowell, MA
    More equipment than skill.
    jardim do mar
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/03 09:53:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dburns

jardim do mar,

I'd like to know what you are saying, but all those commas really get in the way. Would you please consider leaving them out?

Thanks.

,,,,,um,maybe,,"B rock can translate,,well"B/ are ya there ,,old friend,old buddy,,,,i try ,,i really do,,,, i'd feel naked ,,if there were'nt any comma's,,,,,,,anyways,,, what is it you don't understand,, how about you ask,,,,,,one at a time ya,know,,,
    you could also use the ds864,,,,,, it's a fantastic layering machine,,,,if all the samples were timestretched,ya know,,,,,,
    You also could load multi samples onto individual pads in velocity and then assign velocity pads to trigger finger pads. You could control the volumes with different velocities then.
    ,,, yes groovy indeed,,, as well,,,,

marcella
    ...wicked
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/03 13:37:36 (permalink)
    wow, those commas are on purpose? I thought it was a conversion error from your browser or something.

Well I set it up last night just long enough to test the pads out. I was using the stock loops that come with P5 for testing. First thing I noticed was that I can't seem to figure out how to set the TF so that hitting the pad again kills the cell outright, as opposed to the interval it's set at to complete looping.

I'll be mucking with it this weekend to see if it works.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    DayDrumFour
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/03 14:42:52 (permalink)
    can't seem to figure out how to set the TF so that hitting the pad again kills the cell outright

Try this...

Right-click on a cell and go into P5s midi learn screen.

There is a tick box for "Note On" and another for "Note On / Off".

Play with those. I could get either result.

jardim do mar
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/03 15:54:02 (permalink)
    so that hitting the pad again kills the cell outright, as opposed to the interval it's set at to complete looping.
    ,,,well,,,,i think,,,, what you want is to set the matrix setting to "change immediatly" it will kill it outright,,,
    so ,,like,,for me,, i think of the "columns,,,(white rectangles) as the conductor 'ess, ya know ,,and all the tracks as the ,players ,,,,,, arrange the sections as you like under each column,,,,when you turn on a,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, column via midi remote or clicking,,,,,,,,all the players,,,,,like,,, play,,,, oh my,,,it's brlliant,,,,,,,

marcella
    ...wicked
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/03 20:22:27 (permalink)
    ah got that thanks.

But wtf, can the groove matrix do audio? I tried dragging wave files onto it, which it does, but they don't play back.

Also, what determines the playback source: the track selected when you drop the material into a cel, or the track the row lines up with? I'm getting odd results.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    jardim do mar
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/03 23:55:43 (permalink)
    can the groove matrix do audio?
    ,,,yea,,,,

I tried dragging wave files onto it, which it does, but they don't play back.
    ya sure,,,like,,well,,,,, it's an audio track,,,,
    Also, what determines the playback source: the track selected when you drop the material into a cel, or the track the row lines up with? I'm getting odd results.
    ,,oh my ,,you're caught in the matrix,,,,,,, stop thinking about it ,,ya know,,, just become,,the matrix,,,,,,anyways,,,,,,, your tracks,,,,, midi or audio go horizontal way------ the columns go vertical way ,,,,,,,,,(sorry can't draw that,,, with midi ,the track selected will preview,,,,,,,,, (audition the midi loop you trigger in the patter bin,,,ya know,,then drag on any synth you want,,,,,this is great for midi patterns,,,,,,if ya not hearing anything with pre,viewing midi ,,,it could just be the placement of the notes in the pattern ,,,thats all,,,,, audio loops will always trigger,,from the pattern bin ,,,but will not play if you insert it on a midi track,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

edit,
    post edited by jardim do mar - 2008/10/04 00:05:27

marcella
    DayDrumFour
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/04 02:22:56 (permalink)
    But wtf, can the groove matrix do audio? I tried dragging wave files onto it, which it does, but they don't play back.

Don't know, not having that problem. Maybe they need to be acidized?

Tracks to the left determine the loop's audio settings (like all DAWs). The row of buttons over the cells just trigger the rows all at once. You have options based on where you put a loop.

Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: Live design using the groove matrix... 2008/10/04 18:24:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DayDrumFour
    Don't know, not having that problem. Maybe they need to be acidized?

I'm not at my DAW right now, but I think you're right - he'll need to convert the audio to a Groove Clip (select, Ctrl-L) to make it usable in the matrix.

HTH

Russ

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1