building a new PC for Sonar- any tips for tweaking?

Author
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2008/10/02 12:51:09 (permalink)

building a new PC for Sonar- any tips for tweaking?

here's the stats:

Antec Solo Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model

Intel BOXDP35DPM LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

ASUS EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/256M GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Thermaltake TR2 RX W0134RU 550W ATX12V Ver2.2 SLI Ready Modular Passive PFC PFC Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

TWIN2X2048-6400

(2) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3400620AS 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

M-Audio Audiophile 192 card

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3

i'm having a local guru build it for me....
i'm putting my older version 4PE on it, til i can recover from the investment of this.......LOL
and purchase ver 8.

what i'd like are some words of wisdom on- what i need to tweak this for optimum performance.

granted, it's a low end audio card, but it's what i can afford at the moment..
i'll probably go with a nicer firewire interface in the future (RME?)

it will be a dedicated DAW, and the only other software i have to run with it right now, is EZDrummer.

any insights on setting up, are appreciated.
i've done a 'SEARCH' and come up with a short list of obvious tweaks..

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

5 Replies Related Threads

rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: building a new PC for Sonar- any tips for tweaking? 2008/10/02 13:52:41 (permalink)
    There is nothing wrong with M-Audio, so don't feel bad.

These would be my suggestions.

1) Turn off all Windows sounds and disable any integrated audio
    2) In Windows, right click on My Computer, select Properties. Under the Advanced Tab, select Performance. Then select "adjust for best performance" in the Visual Effects Tab. Go over to the Advanced tab and select "Background Services" under processor scheduling.

That should make it suitable for audio work for the most part.
    batsbrew
    RE: building a new PC for Sonar- any tips for tweaking? 2008/10/15 14:39:59 (permalink)
    THANKS RUMLEY.

picking up the box this afternoon....

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: building a new PC for Sonar- any tips for tweaking? 2008/10/15 15:45:36 (permalink)
    Make sure that Windows is NOT set to use the same sound card as Sonar. You don't have to disable the built in card if there is no conflict, in fact it is good to have as a "decoy" for Windows. Set Windows to use the built in sound card for both Play and Record and then check the box to only use default devices. This will keep Windows from trying to use your good card. Sonar does not use any of the settings in control panal, so it can use the good cards drvier directly. You should also set Windows sounds to no sounds just in case.

Network cards also use up CPU even if no cable is attched ! You can use device manager to disable the network card driver and get back some power. You can enable it again when you are done using Sonar and you will get your connection back without having to reboot... that stuff works great.

Any other programs that are "active" all the time like virus scan can also cause problems. So check to see if there is a way to pause those or disable them while recording. You do start / run / msconfig then click on the startup tab to see all the stuff that loads when your computer starts. msconfig will let you uncheck things that cause problems and put them back later if you need them so you don't have to hack the registry. msconfig gives you a nice GUI interface to control that stuff.

If you have problems with sonar "finding" your built in sound card driver when it's trying to profile drivers use device manager to disable it just till you get Sonar all set up. Then you can turn it back on and Sonar won't mess with it again.

If you have iTunes installed it might "lock" the sound card driver that is set in Windows control panel but that's OK if you have the built in one in there as a decoy.. no harm done. However, there is an Apple iTunes thing that starts when you start the computer so you might want to uncheck that with msconfig just to save resources, iTunes will still work if you launch it. The idea is that is WAITS till you tell it to go.
    post edited by ohhey - 2008/10/15 15:50:29
    hockeyjx
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 839
    RE: building a new PC for Sonar- any tips for tweaking? 2008/10/15 15:59:59 (permalink)
    http://www.tweakxp.com/ ...Helps a lot. Why not XP Pro?
    batsbrew
    RE: building a new PC for Sonar- any tips for tweaking? 2008/10/16 12:24:54 (permalink)
    ohhey-
    good info....

the guru that built my system for me, has already tweaked a lot of the obvious things...
    everything that is not needed to run sonar, has been disabled or removed.
    he knows it's a dedicated DAW..... and this build is almost identical to the ADK pro audio LE build.... with a few improved tweaks.

soundcard- i'll have to see if the 'guru' pointed the windows OS to the maudio card or the internal....

and on the network card, i don't plan on having it connected, but occassionally i'll go on line for...... whatever...
    and i'll keep that in mind.

itunes, will never touch this DAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

hockeyjx- thanks for that link!
    that's a lot of stuff to consider......

i don't intend to use remote access to control a computer, so there's no real advantage to xp pro.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1