Faulty Studio Projects C1 - anyone heard of this?

Author
millzy
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 890
2008/10/04 23:31:26 (permalink)

Faulty Studio Projects C1 - anyone heard of this?

Well my trusty C1 has decided to cark it on me. Wondering whether anyone has heard this symptom before and might know of a starting point for repair.

When you first plug it in it is fine, then after about 20-30 secs the output audio dies and is replaced by a sort of a windy crackly sound (kind of sounds like someones breathing into the mic.)

My guess is its probably a faulty capacitor, but just thought i'd ask if anyone knows of this or has a schematic. Appreciate any info, thanks.

Millzy

i7 3770K, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD, 2 x WD drives, RME Babyface, Win 10 (x64), Cakewalk by Bandlab, heaps of other stuff.

6 Replies Related Threads

billruys
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 852
    RE: Faulty Studio Projects C1 - anyone heard of this? 2008/10/15 16:08:09 (permalink)
    Are you 100% sure the mic isn't just a bit damp? I had a similar problem with a Rode mic once, and the guy from Rode told me to bake the mic. Yup, I put the mic in the oven at about 100 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes on the advice of the manufacturer. Now, I wouldn't advise anyone to do this without being told to, but you could pack your mic with silica gel packs and put it somewhere warm for a day or so.

The other common problem with condensers is contaminant on the PCB where the capsule connects to the first capacitor before the FET's gate. You will often find that the wire from the capsule will connect via an insulated stand-off. This is because even residual flux can load down the extremely high impedance signal from the capsule (often more than 2 Giga-ohms).

Bill Ruys
    Silicon Audio

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Faulty Studio Projects C1 - anyone heard of this? 2008/10/15 17:10:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: millzy

Well my trusty C1 has decided to cark it on me. Wondering whether anyone has heard this symptom before and might know of a starting point for repair.

When you first plug it in it is fine, then after about 20-30 secs the output audio dies and is replaced by a sort of a windy crackly sound (kind of sounds like someones breathing into the mic.)

My guess is its probably a faulty capacitor, but just thought i'd ask if anyone knows of this or has a schematic. Appreciate any info, thanks.

Does sound like a cap but remember the capsule is also a cap (of sorts). Humidity ? Spit ? Dust ? Also have you tried it with another preamp ? Might be bad phantom power.
    newfuturevintage
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1848
    RE: Faulty Studio Projects C1 - anyone heard of this? 2008/10/15 18:50:50 (permalink)
    The description, "windy, crackly" does sound like a bad cap, either the capsule itself, or something downstream. I'd contact SP and get advice.

My inner child is an angry drunk.
    ohhey
    RE: Faulty Studio Projects C1 - anyone heard of this? 2008/10/16 10:30:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: newfuturevintage

The description, "windy, crackly" does sound like a bad cap, either the capsule itself, or something downstream. I'd contact SP and get advice.

Could be that very high value resistor... the 1 gig ohm or so one that goes between the capsule and the headamp. But that's a long shot it does sound like a cap if it "changes". High humidity could cause that very high impedance input to drift so the resistor might not be bad but the moist air could be making an end run around it.
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Faulty Studio Projects C1 - anyone heard of this? 2008/10/16 10:43:34 (permalink)
    Yup, I put the mic in the oven at about 100 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes on the advice of the manufacturer.
    What did he advise for a side dish? White or red wine?

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    ohhey
    RE: Faulty Studio Projects C1 - anyone heard of this? 2008/10/16 13:18:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

Yup, I put the mic in the oven at about 100 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes on the advice of the manufacturer.
    What did he advise for a side dish? White or red wine?

If you have any old analog tape that makes a nice side dish and you can put it in the same oven. Be sure it's an electric oven and not a gas one. As for the wine... the customers do plenty of that why add more ?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1