Standalone Virtiual Instruments Vs

Author
Sooperbohl
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
2008/10/06 02:14:42 (permalink)

Standalone Virtiual Instruments Vs

Greetings,

I am interesting in preference and function here. Do you prefer a standalone version of a virtual instrument or plug in form. Is there a big performance difference?

Thanks

Studio Cat DAW!, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Fractal Audio Axe FX, TC Helicon  Alesis Midiverb 4, M Audio Axiom 49, Kurzweil PC3X, Korg Triton, Roland Gaia and on and on and on!

3 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Standalone Virtiual Instruments Vs 2008/10/06 13:48:15 (permalink)
    I tend to use them inside my host, as a plugin.... I do have one or two that are supposed to work as standalone....but I have no real reason to use them that way.... so it doesn't matter much...to me..

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Luteman
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Standalone Virtiual Instruments Vs 2008/10/06 15:38:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sooperbohl

Greetings,

I am interesting in preference and function here. Do you prefer a standalone version of a virtual instrument or plug in form. Is there a big performance difference?

Thanks

If you use it as a VSTi within your host you get the benefit of automation, midi effects, etc . . . can't think of a good reason to use standalone, to be honest. As the same waveform processing is going on in each case, I don't think there would be much difference in performance. Possibly the VSTi might be lighter as you are using the host audio engine (as opposed to running a second audio engine for the standalone instrument?).

Dunno if this helps, or even makes sense . . .

Chris
    SONAR Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core2Quad Q6600, 8GB, 2 x SSD, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, M-Audio Axiom 61, Behringer FCB1010 MIDI pedalboard, Stephen Haddock 8-course lute, some guitars, a mandolin and a bass

Sooperbohl
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Standalone Virtiual Instruments Vs 2008/10/06 17:43:13 (permalink)
    Awww thanks yall.

I am burning your bits of wisdom into my lil ole brain. I appreciate the replies.

Studio Cat DAW!, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Fractal Audio Axe FX, TC Helicon  Alesis Midiverb 4, M Audio Axiom 49, Kurzweil PC3X, Korg Triton, Roland Gaia and on and on and on!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1