Need EQ Panning Technique

Author
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
2008/10/08 23:40:30 (permalink)

Need EQ Panning Technique

Hey,

I've got a song that is a stereo mix only. It contains acoustic guitars which are panned pretty wide left and right. The vocal is in the middle. The guitars are too bright. What would be the best way to apply some EQ to reduce the high frequencies in the far left and right areas of the stereo spectrum without affecting the center too much?

I'm thinking maybe to send the mix to seperate busses which are panned hard left and right and applying EQ on each them panned left and right respectively. Does this make sense?

Maybe I'll just have to experiment some more.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

14 Replies Related Threads

altima_boy_2001
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Need EQ Panning Technique 2008/10/09 00:57:14 (permalink)
    You'll probably need a Mid-Side encoder/decoder. Voxengo has a free one available. Should work like this I believe:

1. Insert the M/S plugin to encode stereo as M/S. This should put the middle in one channel (left or right) and the outside in the other.
    2. Insert a stereo EQ and adjust it so it only affects one channel. Play around with it to figure out which channel is Mid and which is Side.
    3. Insert the M/S plugin to decode M/S into stereo.

See if that works for you...

Edit: Doesn't VC-64 in Sonar Producer have a M/S setup? You might be able to accomplish entirely with just one plugin...
    post edited by altima_boy_2001 - 2008/10/09 03:24:39

You can use me as your eSoundz referral (altima_boy_2001).
    glynbo
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: Need EQ Panning Technique 2008/10/09 07:12:25 (permalink)
    You can do it all in one plugin using Voxengo's fantastic GEQ (and its also free). http://www.voxengo.com/product/overtonegeq/ Among its many possible routing options there is processing mid and side with separate eq (see the Stereo Sheen preset for example).

Cheers,
    Glyn

My latest album 'From Time to Time' is availabe for download in FLAC and MP3 formats at Musiczeit

My Myspace Space
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Need EQ Panning Technique 2008/10/09 09:23:37 (permalink)
    well... I didn't pick up from the post if this is a MP3 tune or if it's a CW project that you're creating....

I will assume that you're referring to a project that you are recording. Here's what I'd do. Insert a guitar (sub) buss. send the guitars to that bus....BTW.... busses work in stereo so no need for 2. insert your favorite EQ in the buss FX bin and smooth out the highs.

send the guitar sub buss to the master buss. Send the vox directly to the master buss.

problem solved.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Dave King
    RE: Need EQ Panning Technique 2008/10/09 12:29:29 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. I'll try out the Voxengo plugin.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

DreamzCatcher
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Need EQ Panning Technique 2008/10/09 21:35:18 (permalink)

"Don't forget to imagine."
    Intel 965P-DS4 F5, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300@1.86GHz (x2), 2,096,620 KB RAM. Cubase SX 4, SoundForge 9.. Dynaudio Acoustics & Adam A7..
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Need EQ Panning Technique 2008/10/10 01:08:30 (permalink)
    1. Insert the M/S plugin to encode stereo as M/S. This should put the middle in one channel (left or right) and the outside in the other.
    2. Insert a stereo EQ and adjust it so it only affects one channel. Play around with it to figure out which channel is Mid and which is Side.
    3. Insert the M/S plugin to decode M/S into stereo.

MS decoders work backwards? I thought they just made an M/S signal into 3 channels to make a stereo image. I didn't know you could take a 2 channel stereo signal and make it M/S.

What a great idea for a plugin though. Something that can sepparate a stereo track into sepparate tracks based on Left-Right percentage.
    Throe
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Need EQ Panning Technique 2008/10/10 03:55:49 (permalink)
    altima_boy_2001
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Need EQ Panning Technique 2008/10/10 06:33:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rumleymusic
    MS decoders work backwards? I thought they just made an M/S signal into 3 channels to make a stereo image. I didn't know you could take a 2 channel stereo signal and make it M/S.

What a great idea for a plugin though. Something that can sepparate a stereo track into sepparate tracks based on Left-Right percentage.

This article talks about it with some detail. http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_front_center/

Technically you could do all the routing yourself in Sonar to separate out the mid and side parts of a stereo recording so having a plugin available to do it for you is just a simplification.

You can use me as your eSoundz referral (altima_boy_2001).
    rumleymusic
    RE: Need EQ Panning Technique 2008/10/10 12:49:46 (permalink)
    This article talks about it with some detail. http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_front_center/

You learn something every day. Thanks for this. I have to try it out now.
    rumleymusic
    RE: Need EQ Panning Technique 2008/10/10 14:17:19 (permalink)
    Hmm, by golly it works. Though I did it manually.

Just for fun I'll post the setps for that: (I did this in Audition)

1) Take the original stereo track and create 2 mono tracks, one left and one right
    2) Combine the left and the right by panning to the center on both and bouncing to a single mono track. (This becomes the mid)
    3) Same as step 2 except this time reverse the polarity on the right channel, again bounce to mono. (This is the Side)
    4) Now that you have a Mid and Side you can create the stereo image in the normal way by duplicating the side track, panning one hard left and one hard right and reversing the polarity on the right. (I bounced this to stereo for ease of use, but you can leave it in two tracks if you want to mess with them separately)

Combining the mid and the stereo side, you will have an exact duplicate of the original track (if volume is set at 0dbfs), but now you can adjust the stereo image and work with the center and sides individually.

Thanks altima_boy_2001 for pointing out my ignorance.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: Need EQ Panning Technique 2008/10/10 23:40:19 (permalink)
    Nice post!
    ORIGINAL: rumleymusic

You learn something every day. Thanks for this. I have to try it out now.

Bob Katz suggests some M-S corrections in his Mastering Techniques ... for correcting hard-pannings (but methinks they probably don't sound that bad to most listeners).

... But, I've never been able to figure how to do the reverse: "m-s figure 8 recording " in Sonar, alone (after hours of playing with mics). Could it therefore be because I don't have the Voxengo (or Blue Cat) M-S encoder/decoder? IOWs, Sonar doesn't have anything of itself that enables m-s recording?

(That would explain my frustration/failure with the M-S recording technique)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Dave King
    RE: Need EQ Panning Technique 2008/10/10 23:42:10 (permalink)
    This is very cool. I'm gonna try skipping the plug-ins and try the manual method. Seems like an interesting experiment.

Thanks!

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

macflooze
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 544
    RE: Need EQ Panning Technique 2008/10/13 15:09:03 (permalink)
    Philip - do this

Take one cardoid mic and one figure 8 mic.
    Mount both mics with the capsules as close together as physically possible.
    Point the cardoid at the source
    Point the fig 8 at 90 degrees away from the source (the PU pattern is facing right and left of the source)
    Record each of these to their own separate mono track. You have two mono tracks at this stage, cardoid and fig 8.
    The cardoid track is your center mono information.
    Clone the fig 8 track, Now you have 2 identical fig 8 tracks - three tracks total.
    Reverse the polarity (-180 phase) of the cloned fig 8 track.
    Pan the original fig 8 track hard left
    Pan the cloned fig 8 track hard right. These 2 tracks are the stereo information.
    Group the two fig 8 tracks and play with their level relative to the mono track.

Good Luck
    Paul
    post edited by macflooze - 2008/10/13 15:12:58

Pmac
    ToneZone

Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe - Dmitry Orlov
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: Need EQ Panning Technique 2008/11/03 15:13:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: macflooze

Philip - do this

Take one cardoid mic and one figure 8 mic.
    Mount both mics with the capsules as close together as physically possible.
    Point the cardoid at the source
    Point the fig 8 at 90 degrees away from the source (the PU pattern is facing right and left of the source)
    Record each of these to their own separate mono track. You have two mono tracks at this stage, cardoid and fig 8.
    The cardoid track is your center mono information.
    Clone the fig 8 track, Now you have 2 identical fig 8 tracks - three tracks total.
    Reverse the polarity (-180 phase) of the cloned fig 8 track.
    Pan the original fig 8 track hard left
    Pan the cloned fig 8 track hard right. These 2 tracks are the stereo information.
    Group the two fig 8 tracks and play with their level relative to the mono track.

Good Luck
    Paul

Thanks Paul for this.

I've been seriously trying to do this verbatim as you've written (repeatedly) and have failed; my AKG side-mic seems set to fig 8, my Pearlman mid-mic to cardiod ... exactly as you have done. I've even applied Sonitus Phase Vst to try to play up some inverse phase portions (with C-S (center-surround) and other combos). I'll try to re-post if anything becomes successful. Perhaps my mic signal is problematic?

Should be useful for me at some point

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1