(Updated New Mix)Wasting Time Without you

Author
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
2008/10/09 02:44:10 (permalink)

(Updated New Mix)Wasting Time Without you

This song is a rough mix as of right now, but i really need some feedback on it, to help me move on.
My fiance sang the chorus parts and i sang the rest and played all the instruments performed in this song.
Its called Wasting time without you
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=635168

CJ

Edit. I made a new mix with some help form all who responded
post edited by CJaysMusic - 2008/10/25 17:43:47

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog

22 Replies Related Threads

spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/09 06:26:24 (permalink)
    CJ,
    Well if someone enjoying it helps - you got it.
    Not a style I listen to much but I can still appreciate the talent. Both vocal parts worked for me too.

No discredit to anything else but thought the song writing/arrangement and recording was ace.

Cheers,
    Michael
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/09 07:19:51 (permalink)
    Tasty guitar sound. Sweet female vox. Cool texture on the lead vox. Would love to hear how you did that - I have one I'm doing something similar. I'd love to hear a little more dynamic bass work - though I do like how it comes in at the break. Good sound, I think it needs a little more low end though, just a tad; I think it would help carry it, but remember I'm a bass player. I like the snap you have on that snare, the metallic sound - a bit more body on the whole kit I think would work wonders. I think this would really pump then.

Very nice CJ!

thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/09 08:00:21 (permalink)
    cool song...love the dig @ 1:00 after the female vox...which was very cool....althought I'd like a bit more efx on her but the tone and pitch is dead on....just don't like the space it's in...everything else seems in a bigger room....

I think its a very very cool song
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/09 09:13:16 (permalink)
    It sounds like a very good production/mix. The fiancee has nice voice. I can hear what she's singing. I can not make out much of what you're singing. Guitars sound great.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/09 11:26:57 (permalink)
    Cool texture on the lead vox. Would love to hear how you did that

Thanx Spacey, Im leaving for Vegas in an hour, when i get back i will write down a detailed decription for you.
    I'd love to hear a little more dynamic bass work

Spindle, i kinda squeezed it to make it break thru the mix. Ill try to relax it a bit
    althought I'd like a bit more efx on her but the tone and pitch is dead on

She agrees with you. She keeps telling me she wants it to sound like Evenessence. I told her that you needed to sing like her...LOL
    The fiancee has nice voice. I can hear what she's singing. I can not make out much of what you're singing. Guitars sound great.

Thanx, about my singing. you really dont want to hear me.. Trust me on this..

Im off to Vegas as a suprise B Day trip that i new nothing about. See you all in 5 days.......
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    M. Man
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 770
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/09 11:35:06 (permalink)
    To be recorded with a couple of Soundblasters I'd say this is "Well done!"

Cool, cool song - dig the rythm!

Agree with Spindlebox that it needs som more "low end".
    The first and second time your feance sings it's a bit "nice" in singing-style (lack of a better word).
    Guess I like her singing more "agressive", like at 2:05+ - more air and "screamin".

I'd wish my wife would want to sing...
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/09 12:49:01 (permalink)
    CJ,

Very good production. Job well done. Song has a cool groove. There were a couple of times where the roll across the toms caused distortion on my headphones so there might be a touch too much compression on the mix to get it hot.

Tom
    AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/09 14:51:18 (permalink)
    CJ,

It's been a long while since I've listened to one of your songs. The thing that stands out on this song, is the dramatic improvement in mix, performance, and production, and the "new" direction in lyrics/story. Overall, I'd say this is a great improvement over your previous work and the mix sounds very polished (even though you mention it being a rough mix).

Good work to you and your fiance. She did an excellent job on the vocal chorus.

-Matthew
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/09 15:28:44 (permalink)
    quote:

Cool texture on the lead vox. Would love to hear how you did that
    Thanx Spacey, Im leaving for Vegas in an hour, when i get back i will write down a detailed decription for you.

That was me - but I'll look forward to reading it! Have fun in Sin City!

CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/09 18:21:00 (permalink)
    This is my favorite one so far of yours. I think the two vox styles fit well together in the context of the tune. Nice peformances and a really good rough mix. This one shouldn't need much more to really shine.
    ara
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 346
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/09 18:41:52 (permalink)
    What a nice job, it does sound great. i would offer two suggestions. One- play with some tunings on the snare- maybe a little higher, at the very end @330 start to hear its ring, I'd like to hear it ring throughout and really cut through vs sitting powerfully within. Secondly- her chorus feels unsupported. I wonder if sustained background high chord notes (but I don't think you're using any keys on this), or a maybe if she does a high vocal call for background harmony. You 've got it. Ara www.aratunes.us
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/09 19:17:11 (permalink)
    CJ
    I have to agree with all the comments already posted......So I will not comment on any of that

the only thing (nit picking!!!!) that stood out to me and again this is My Own Opinion is that in the chorus rhythmically I felt the vox line had too much to say ..... there seems to be too many words to get into such a small space.....and to get all the words in that space she had to rush the lines to make them fit (I am a fan of her vocal ability....she does well)......if you could delete (rephrase) maybe just two words this may balance the lines to fit inside the space alotted for the chorus.....

Otherwise, a very top notch work.....

Cliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    JSGlen
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 856
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/09 22:05:29 (permalink)
    CJ, Not my style of music but you did an excellent job on this. I listened on my Ipod buds and the mix sounded even and punchy to me. Give your Fiance my compliments on a great job also.

ADK Quad Pro, Intel Core i7 3770 IVB 3.5 Ghz, Windows 7 64
    Seagate 500G Sata 600 OS Drive, Seagate 1 TB Sata 600 Audio Drive, 16 gigs of ram, 700 watt Coolermaster Silent Pro power supply.  Apollo Quad Interface, Dangerous D-Box, Burl B2 ADC, UAD 2 Duo, Avalon 737, UA LA 610 MK II, UA 1176 LN Hardware, Focal CMS 65 monitors, Avid Artist Control. 

Sonar X3d

Pro Tools 11 & 10

Wavelab 8

Alaster
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/10 00:52:09 (permalink)
    Heey, I remember you, with that one song I loved. I only remember part of the lyrics, "all alone."

The mix sounds pretty good to me, but I wasn't listening all that loud. Writing and arrangement sounds pretty clean, no real complaints. Other than maybe the part "dripping down my hands," add perhaps distortion to differ the panned echo a bit? I suppose that's a matter of preference.

I really like your vocals on this one... although I hate to be rude, I don't much like your finance's. They're not bad, just not my style I suppose.

Thumbs up!

The Alien Element, curing the human.
    Gary Long
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/10 02:26:53 (permalink)
    Hey man ! Gary here... Nice recording and all so far.. you have something here you can build on .. Nice bed... On the main vocal you might sing the same thing on another track to bring it out more and toss it in the mix.. Your girl can sing too.. so try maybe a weird like harmony backing thing in a couple parts in the background once in the song towards the end.. ??? just a thought.. but I can sorta picture that.. Right on man ! Thanks for sharing !! , Gary

Sonar 7 PE , Dual core pc w/Vista home premium 3.25 gig Ram, M-audio delta 66, M- audio Oxygen 49 , Jackson Git's, FR Discovery git, Bass git's, acoustic git's, 12 channel mixer, Line 6 amps, Headphones , drums, and other stuff, etc.
    Prevalence
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 719
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/10 14:48:49 (permalink)
    Sounds pretty good to me. I don't produce music in this style so I can't give any technical commemnts, but it's a really good song with plenty of changes going on. Certainly keeps the interest going...... Top production too!!

Bestest, Paul.

Best Regards, Paul
    Music at: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=754343

~~~ Album 'ElectroStatique' (Feat. Anya) now available from:-
    iTunes, Rhapsody, HMW, 7Digital, emusic, Napster and several other outlets ~~~
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/14 19:18:51 (permalink)
    Wow!!!!! Lots of great comments here. Im going to try some of these suggestions. Thanx to everyone who replied so far I love the critiques, keep them coming........
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/14 19:37:49 (permalink)
    CJ,

Your fiance's voice fits better in the second half of the song - IMO, in the first half of the tune, a delay on her voice may work - just an idea. After about 2:10, her voice sounds very good in the mix. I like the processing on your vox, that sounds cool. I like the growly tone on the bass guitar.

Excellent tune.

Cheers,
    Doug

Taylor_514CMy Music:

CJaysMusic
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/15 15:04:27 (permalink)
    Cool Taylor. There was 2 different takes. Maybe thats why there seems to be a difference in her 2 parts. Ill have to look at that more closely.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    tcaylor
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 701
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/17 17:20:57 (permalink)
    CJ,

My first listen gave me about what I expected. Great production, great drums and arrangement as always. The thing I didn't expect was the vocals, both of which were very good, especially your fiance. She can sing! Another thing I liked is your incorporation of noise-type effects in your songs. Where do you find that stuff? You do a great job on the production side having an abundance of volume with clarity and balance.

It also gives me a chance to listen to "Don't Crash" which is still my favorite of yours.

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/17 17:34:22 (permalink)
    Another thing I liked is your incorporation of noise-type effects in your

You noticed those lil things... I make them in or made them in Rapture. Ill take a patch that i like or fits the song and ill tweak it to as close as i can get. Sometimes i get suprised with a texture and it brings me into another direction also.
    Thanx TC
    Cj

Audio Blog
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Wasting Time Without you 2008/10/24 09:59:28 (permalink)
    I just finished some tweaks and updated the song. Thanx to everyone who listened and responded. You gave me more insight into this mix. I hope i did it justice
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1