help design a rig for live recording

Author
4score
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 43
2008/10/10 17:59:58 (permalink)

help design a rig for live recording

Hello,
I'm a singer-songwriter who has always found good advice for how to get the most out of SONAR when I'm in the studio, but I'm going to be increasing the number of performances substantially this year and would like to be able to make recordings of the gigs, either for personal use or to potentially sell to fans (either as a complete show or as a best-of type thing).

In terms of instrumentation, most of these shows are solo acoustic gigs, with a digital piano (Yamaha P-120), a vocal mic (right now an SM 58 but open to reconsidering), and an occasional acoustic guitar (all of my acoustics have pick-ups).
Ideally, I'd like to end up with something along the lines of Jackson Browne's "Solo Acoustic" series, and I need your help to figure out what the best way to do that is.

Option one is obviously running everything into a mixer, setting up levels, and sending a stereo mix to a recorder or through my M-Audio FireWire Solo. That said, if there's anything wrong with the mix, the recording is permanently affected.

Option two would be to run everything into a mixer or interface for multi-track recordings, which allows for more editing flexibility. I have a feeling this is better, but isn't possible given my current set-up as I don't have enough inputs.

If anyone has suggestions for equipment or set-ups, or any experience doing this type of thing, I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks!
~Colin Nagle

5 Replies Related Threads

Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    RE: help design a rig for live recording 2008/10/11 11:17:54 (permalink)
    Hi Colin,..

you have several options..
    (I am ignoring your audiointerface as I am not familiar with it)

I use i.e. the RME Fireface 800 with Ocatmic D - expansions..
    I've done several recordings and used different setups each time..
    Variant a.) I connect every instrument/mic to the inputs of my a/d-converters.. and directly route them to the individual outputs.(cue mix, "0" latency) Those outputs feed the inputs of a mixer..->amp->speakers
    (my rack has ~24 physical inputs and 24 physical outputs)
    The RMEs have a flash-bios which keep the settings even when your laptop crashes.. (I think they even pass the signal when they run out of power.. not too sure about it though)..
    So this setup is very safe.. no latency... and if the pc/laptop fails you can still do your performance without even noticing that there's a fault.
    You can use any audiointerface with multiple in- and outputs.. they only have to support "direct monitoring", which is probably supported by all of them..

Variant b.)
    I am still experimenting a bit with it.. but so far so good..
    You connect all your instruments/mics to your audiointerface (multipe inputs necessary)
    You enable input-monitoring within Sonar.. you mix within Sonar (use eqs, compression, reverb,..) and send it to your stereo-outs!
    the stereo outs feed your power amp and speakers..
    Now you have more downsides due to latency and failures..
    the lower you set your latency the more you push your cpu..
    so it's very essential to have a quite powerfull system (notebook)
    same applies to your plugins.. the more plugins.. the more power you need..
    the round-trip-latency depends very much on the audiointerface you use ! So you need to do some tests to see if your round-trip-latency is low enough for you to play along.
    next downside,.. when the system fails (i.e. laptop).. your performance is ruined.. I mean not only the recording.. but your live-performance !
    Why am I suggesting this method anyway ? 'cause you can get a very "pro"-sound out of the box without any additional ext. gear(mixer/effects).

So variant "a" gets the job done.. no risks.. you can shape your sound later at home..
    variant "b" shapes your sound already on stage,.. you can still do a post-production later with all the benefits of variant "a"

Re-reading your post, your needs are a bit smaller..
    You can probably get away with a stereo-audio/midinterface.
    Connect the vocal-mic to the left input of your audiointerface.. connect the guitar to the right input of your audiointerface.. connect the piano via midi to the midi-input of that audiointerface..
    There are several options for the routing..
    For live-performances I can only recommend to use a pair of mics(condenser) for the audience/ambience..
    With these additional mics your audiointerface would already need at least 4 mic-inputs..
    remember that you yet only record the midis of your piano.. if you want to record the audio as well you'll need at least 6 mic-inputs..
    If the "Motu 8pre" had 8 outputs, then that would be something to consider..
    The Edirol FA-101 could get the job done.. only 2 mic inputs though..
    I am a bit clueless to find "moderate" gear for your situation..
    post edited by Frank Haas - 2008/10/11 11:23:35
    4score
    RE: help design a rig for live recording 2008/10/11 12:43:06 (permalink)
    Well, I'm not above getting something that is a little more than I need at the moment. It's not like this is my only way of recording. My current set-up only allows me to overdub every part. It would be nice to be able to record my band without having to go to a studio.

Option A seems like a good idea. In terms of the RME unit, are there any/how are the pre-amps? Would you recommend I get a separate pre-amp? And how would that work in terms of routing? Similarly, would I need any D/I boxes or could I just plug everything into the inputs of the Fireface?

And if anyone else has other (or similar) suggestions, feel free to share them. I like to know what my options are and if people have had success using any of these methods.

Thanks for your help so far!
    4score
    RE: help design a rig for live recording 2008/10/16 13:51:50 (permalink)
    Anybody else have suggestions/recommendations/success stories?

Thanks
    ~Colin
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: help design a rig for live recording 2008/10/16 14:29:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 4score

Anybody else have suggestions/recommendations/success stories?

Thanks
    ~Colin

If your computer is stable enough to record shows you can do multi-track as long as your sound interface has enough inputs and your mixer has outputs for each channel. But with only one insturment and vocal I'm not sure how you would use more then two.

One option might be to get a small solid state recorder record the piano (or guitar) on one track and the vocal on the other. Then you can import them into Sonar later. You can use a plugin to create stereo for the piano or guitar and put some effects on the vocal and you can get a fairly real sound. Maybe even use a room reverb on the master bus on top of that to make it sound more live. You could also do this with the computer but then you have to set it up at every show. A little Zoom or Edirol flash recorder would be small and handy and not make ANY noise. I think some of them might be able to do 4 track so you could add a stereo mic or croud mic too.
    4score
    RE: help design a rig for live recording 2008/10/17 15:28:23 (permalink)
    I figured it might be useful to have a little more info about the connectivity of my live-setup for two reasons. One, so it would be easier to recommend recording equipment and two, if I should add anything to the current set-up.

The vast majority of the songs in my sets are played on the Yamaha P-120, which has the following outputs:
    L/L + R, R (1/4" jack)
    L, R (RCA jack)

I've been singing into an SM-58.

For most shows, I've been running a 1/4" out of the Yamaha's L/L+R jack and an XLR from the mic both into a Roland amp, which has separate EQ channels and basic reverb, chorus, and delay settings.

Recently I've instead connected both L and R keyboard outputs to a Yamaha MG 10/2 mixer. I've put an XLR to 1/4" adapter on the end of my mic cable and connected it to an Alesis Quadraverb which I maniuplate with a footpedal to get more control over switching effects from one song to the next or triggering delays, etc. I run the output of the quadraverb back into the mixer, set levels, and run the ouptut of the mixer to the Roland amp.

I've tried without much success to set AUX levels for the mixer inputs and connect the aux outputs to my computer, but I don't have enough inputs with my current interface (M-Audio FW Solo has a maximum of 2 simultaneous inputs) to have control over the stereo tracks AND the vocal track.

What I'd like to do is purchase either an interface or a stand-alone recorder (but presumably I'd still need an interface with as many inputs as tracks?) that would allow me to record the stereo keyboard sounds, vocal, possible guitar, and possibly additional audience mics SEPARATELY and ideally, independentally of the levels for the sound coming out of the speakers that the audience hears.

What do people recommend? Also, would you recommend I make any changes to my equipment? Should I invest in a better live mic? Do I need a preamp? Is the Quadraverb too low-quality to record with?

Sorry to be a nuisance about this, but it's probably hard to make recommendations if you don't know what I'm starting with.

Thanks,
    ~Colin
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1