MC4 vs. Sonar Home Studio...

Author
mgcain
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 72
2008/10/12 09:31:09 (permalink)

MC4 vs. Sonar Home Studio...

I'm getting a lot of email from Cakewalk on the availability of Sonar Home Studio. It sounds like a great package, but I am so new to this I don't know what I don't know...What are the "compelling" reasons I want to upgrade to this package over MC4? Is it More and Better Instruments? Easier Interface? More capabilities, and if so, what are they and how do I apply them?

Seems like this digital music world can get extremely complicated in a big hurry, and I design computer software systems for a living! Can someone shed some light for me?

7 Replies Related Threads

Warrenwc
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: MC4 vs. Sonar Home Studio... 2008/10/12 14:13:17 (permalink)
    Personally, I believe that if you really needed more power, you'd already be looking for something with more capabilities.
    I almost went with a more "Pro" package & am really glad I bought MC4 instead.
    These things can get so complex that you just spend all your time figuring out how to do what should be simple things.
    I'm sticking with MC until it makes me feel limited in some way.
    Just MHO.

Core i7 3.2 Ghz
    Hobbyist
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: MC4 vs. Sonar Home Studio... 2008/10/12 14:47:49 (permalink)
    As a user of Cake products for many years, and since my return to the digital recording world about a year ago.... I am a user of MC4. The only reason I "upgraded" to MC4 is because my old CWpro 8 Deluxe would not run on XP or Vista. Many here in this forum, have started with MC4 and upgraded to Sonar for one reson or another... more features, more included software goodies, or a case of "GAS"..(gear aquisition syndrome).

I have considered upgrading, but I have not been persuaded that it is something that I really "need"... since I am able to do everything I want to and need, for the recording of my music in MC4. I see no reason to spend money to upgrade, when I am getting satisfactory results with the lower cost MC4.

So I have been using MC4 since my return to digital recording about a year ago, and currently have no plans to upgrade.

At least until I'm forced to do so because of OS issues....again in a few years.....
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/10/12 14:50:26

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Nutty
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2056
    RE: MC4 vs. Sonar Home Studio... 2008/10/12 14:48:27 (permalink)
    I'm pretty new myself mgcain to MC 4. I'm just really getting into it now and I bought the software in April of this year. I'm a slow learner when it comes to this stuff, but I am learning an awful lot. A one time I would say "just tell me what button I have to push", where now I'm trying to learn all the concepts behind what I'm doing. The people are so supportive on this forum. I pretty sure that everything I've learned in MC is transerable to SHS 7. There will be more new things to learn possibly, but they should make my life easier!

I ordered Sonar Home Studio 7 XL for a couple of reasons. One being the number of inputs is not restricted (MC only allows 2). There are a few other features I've come across that would be nice (e.g. opening 2 projects at a time, etc). The biggest reason was I was interested in the add on's. The cost of buying them separately would be almost as much as buying the software, so I took that route. It helps that they give a discount for registered users as well. Unfortunately, they add a $35 shipping cost becasue I don't live in the US. Not sure what they charge for US residents. It's still cheaper than buying it from a local store without the Cakewalk discount, if they even carry it. It would cost me $5 -$10 in gas to go to the nearest city.

Generally, they post a comparison chart. Did you check out the Cakewalk page?

Nutty /Annette
    http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: MC4 vs. Sonar Home Studio... 2008/10/12 15:49:08 (permalink)
    I upgraded from MC Pro 24 to SONAR Home Studio 6 XL for one reason, to get Dimension LE and the Garritan Pocket Orchestra. Of course, I probably could have found free samples, loops, soft synths, or sound fonts that do as good a job as Dimension, but I know enough about CW software that I'm comfortable with it, so I stayed with what I know. Nevermind that I've used DLE and GPO only once in a project, I don't regret it at all. But I probably would have stayed with Pro 24 if I hadn't felt the need for decent horns and strings.
    If you see a need for multiple inputs, if your sound interface supports multiple inputs, or want a more comprehensive effects suite, a more efficient audio engine, greater editing capabilities, then upgrade. But you might want to wait awhile and read how people who bought the new version feel about it. Right now all you can get is paper comparisons.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    dave sitting at home
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: MC4 vs. Sonar Home Studio... 2008/10/12 23:23:43 (permalink)
    Hey, I've been using MC 2 for almost 3 years now and still find things that it does that I didn't realize. I am so comfortable with it I am hesitant to change. It has session drummer, and support for control services, both of which I use. I know upgrading to MC 4 is cheap and would probably give me some additional things to play with, but I just don't feel I need to. Maybe it is a matter of not knowing what I am missing. I just find my work flow is fast and everything is stable, so I am hesitant. I've experienced the learning curves of new software (I also have Abelton Live 7) and get frustrated when all I want to do is make music, but I am spending hours trying to figure out how to do something.

P4 1.7GHz, 2.5G RAM, MC, Tascam US-224
    Yamaha PSR273, Microkorg, KP3, Kaossilator, Fender Acoustic, Behringer, MicroBR, Zoom, TC Helicon, Digitech, Blueman Group Keyboard, Farfisa, http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=564197
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: MC4 vs. Sonar Home Studio... 2008/10/13 08:25:38 (permalink)
    Dave...you hit the nail on the head....exactly..... why fix something that's not broke?

You got it, it works.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    mau65
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: MC4 vs. Sonar Home Studio... 2008/10/17 16:53:34 (permalink)
    GAS...gear aquisition syndrome... Really a good point, Guitarhacker.

I'm closed to recover myself after 3/4 years of disease. Plug-ins, effects, effect pedals, guitars etc. etc. Just to use always the same gear in the same manner...

I'm now with MC4 (and Project5) and i wish this "partnership" will last !

Have you all a nice day ;)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1