How do I check my RAM?/help please

Author
Vhue
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 49
2008/10/12 10:05:12 (permalink)

How do I check my RAM?/help please

Hey,
I've just bought a laptop, a Sony Vaio, and as it came with Vista (home premium) I paid a little extra for the guy in the store to put an extra gb of RAM in it, upgrading from 3 to 4. He meant this was no problem, and it's on my receipt, but it was only a tiny shop, and I've never bought anything there before.

I'm new to Vista, so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but the only place I've found any info about existing RAM it says a mere 3070 mb. Maybe, hopefully, that is just what used to be on there? The original approximate 3 gb..? But I can't trust that, and if I paid for something I want to be sure I got it too - I've understood I'll need it to run my sonar program (home st. 7xl) in vista smoothly (I haven't got it yet, so I can' check). Made that clear to the store-guy.

Would someone more computer-able than me be able to put my mind at ease that I don't need to go back complaining? Or indeed if I do. Would be most appreciated. Just where to look to get the right information.

Thanks =)

5 Replies Related Threads

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: How do I check my RAM?/help please 2008/10/12 10:36:07 (permalink)
    I can't speak about Vista but on my XP Pro machine it only reports back 3.25GB of RAM. This is being discussed also over on the Sonar forum. I think unless you're running a 64 bit program it will never show more than 3GB or so. Someone correct me if I'm wrong of course.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: How do I check my RAM?/help please 2008/10/12 12:40:28 (permalink)
    32 bit Windows will only see 3 GB of RAM; any extra's used for graphics card apetures and the like.

When you first boot, the POST screen tells you how much RAM's installed.

ew
    AndyW
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2956
    RE: How do I check my RAM?/help please 2008/10/12 12:42:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Vhue

Hey,
    I've just bought a laptop, a Sony Vaio, and as it came with Vista (home premium) I paid a little extra for the guy in the store to put an extra gb of RAM in it, upgrading from 3 to 4. He meant this was no problem, and it's on my receipt, but it was only a tiny shop, and I've never bought anything there before.

I'm new to Vista, so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but the only place I've found any info about existing RAM it says a mere 3070 mb. Maybe, hopefully, that is just what used to be on there? The original approximate 3 gb..? But I can't trust that, and if I paid for something I want to be sure I got it too - I've understood I'll need it to run my sonar program (home st. 7xl) in vista smoothly (I haven't got it yet, so I can' check). Made that clear to the store-guy.

Would someone more computer-able than me be able to put my mind at ease that I don't need to go back complaining? Or indeed if I do. Would be most appreciated. Just where to look to get the right information.

Thanks =)

In a 32bit OS(I am assuming you have Vista 32 bit, not Vista 64), you will only see between 3-3.25GB of RAM on a 4GB system due to how Windows Xp and Vista deal with memory mapping of hardware addresses. There is a ton of information on this on these forums and online.

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    Vhue
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: How do I check my RAM?/help please 2008/10/12 17:12:26 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, that's good to hear. Because I assume it is still there for me to use, or to take the weight off a bit.. Not used to this much-discussed Vista yet. Hope it won't be too much of a bother.. =)
    AwwDeOhh
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: How do I check my RAM?/help please 2008/10/12 22:06:55 (permalink)
    they are correct on the 32bit OS reporting only 3-3.5gig
    Not sure how you check in Vista, but it is probably the same as in XP >> Right-Click 'My Computer' and choose properties, should show you the reported RAM
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1