Prominy and NI Kontakt Player?!

Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2008/10/14 01:46:15 (permalink)

Prominy and NI Kontakt Player?!

As I can barely hack guitars, and Prominy was 30% off (from $400),

I overly-lusted for guitar samples and now I'm stuck with 64 Gbytes of complex guitar samples that some compulsive-obsessive Japenese genius must have spent years in a labor-pain making (hopefully a labor of love).

NI Kontakt Player crashed Sonar; it reported "script-failures", and locked up dozens of times today ... before it somehow stabilized somewhat by evening. NI stuff is not for the faint-of-heart, trust me.

Oh, and I had to freeze Superior Drummer and Session Drummer tracks for the first time in my life before Kontakt Player would *decide to let me* download samples.

Of course German based NI and Prominy both have frail tech support and feeble forums. But, alas, by God's grace alone, things are looking much much brighter ... this it seems is a wonderful toy after struggling with it. I will certainly try to get S-8 with NI Guitar Rig LE (please don't give me the *overly-bloated* NI Guitar Rig Pro!) ... hoping against hope that things will become yet more stable.

So I ask you; have any of you experienced similar trials and tribs with Kontakt 2 or 3, Kore, or even NI Guitar Rig . Is NI a good thing for you?
post edited by Philip - 2008/10/14 01:50:36

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501

5 Replies Related Threads

ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: Prominy and NI Kontakt Player?! 2008/10/14 03:52:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Philip

NI Kontakt Player crashed Sonar; it reported "script-failures", and locked up dozens of times today ... before it somehow stabilized somewhat by evening. NI stuff is not for the faint-of-heart, trust me.
    Run the player in standalone. Make sure your library path are correct, etc. Reboot, start Sonar and do a reset all with the plugin manager.

Oh, and I had to freeze Superior Drummer and Session Drummer tracks for the first time in my life before Kontakt Player would *decide to let me* download samples.

Do you mean load samples? I can see where that could happen- the Kontakt Player isn't large address aware. Therefore, it only recognizes 2 GB of RAM. If your RAM usage is getting over 2 GB for your whole system, you'll get "insufficient memory" prompts.

Of course German based NI and Prominy both have frail tech support and feeble forums. But, alas, by God's grace alone, things are looking much much brighter ... this it seems is a wonderful toy after struggling with it. I will certainly try to get S-8 with NI Guitar Rig LE (please don't give me the *overly-bloated* NI Guitar Rig Pro!) ... hoping against hope that things will become yet more stable.

What do you find feeble about the forums (I moderate seven of them)? And what doi you find "overly bloated" about the full version of GR?

So I ask you; have any of you experienced similar trials and tribs with Kontakt 2 or 3, Kore, or even NI Guitar Rig . Is NI a good thing for you?

I use everything NI has in Sonar daily with practically zero issues...

ew
    post edited by ew - 2008/10/14 03:55:09
    Philip
    RE: Prominy and NI Kontakt Player?! 2008/10/14 21:16:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for your kind response, Eric. I never knew you used NI on Sonar. That is extremely encouraging. Also, thank you for explaining the memory issues, which I failed to find on the NI sites.

Honestly, Eric, IMHO, I believe you've got the clout to suggest to NI to fix the NI installers and validate the NI website; I paid about $290US for this and recieved a paragraph on installation, and 9 DVD disks. A bit intimidating for weaklings like me.

The PDF installation manuals also seemed scantily documented on troubleshooting. I looked for a help file in Kontakt Player and found none. I searched the FAQs on Pominy and Kontakt, wrote NI tech support, etc. and have received no response. There's no way I can recommend NI Kontakt to Sonar users until NI (and Prominy) tech support gets real.

Albeit, last night I saw the light at the end of the tunnel and hope to increase with NI slowly but surely. Guitar Rig is probably NI's sweetest VST for me ... but I need to get used to freezing Superior Drummer 2 tracks and such before I can see clearly to consider bloating my system and shelling out $300 for Guitar Rig.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Philip
    RE: Prominy and NI Kontakt Player?! 2008/10/17 23:07:43 (permalink)
    After about 10 hours of murderous study and burn-out (i.e., frequent saves) ... Prominy is beginning to make sense. Prominy is a delicate jigsaw puzzle that requires reading the Prominy and Chart manuals forward and backwards. The Chart manual has 64 un-paged pages! Ouch!

Who’d ever thought that electric guitar was the most complex instrument on the planet? Intimidating abbreviations exist in Prominy for virtually every conceivable guitar term.
    Ouch! Remember NI and Prominy, we are non-guitarists trying to fake the real guitarists! No real guitarist is going to waste his/her time with Prominy. Only guitar losers and abusers like me. I had to look up about 100 guitar terms before beginning to understand Prominy.

So why are 'advanced programs' so un-advanced with help files? Prominy is sweet, but like Roland's Japanese manuals, there is no incremental flow to the paragraphs. No tutorials!

Today I had witnessed about 10 NI-Prominy induced Sonar crashes. To be fair, I crashed half of them while waiting 5-10 minutes to download ‘Multi’ instruments. Hitting ‘Cancel’ during sample-downloads, while piling up the RAM, guarantees S7 to crash.

There is a reason for 5-10 minutes to download ‘Multi’ instruments: Once you have 20 instruments in the Kontakt Player in delicate balance, you can MIDI switch between them and weed out (delete) the instruments you don’t want. Then save your combo as a preset.

Today, I installed the update patch, which may have a demo or 2.

I've already integrated Prominy in one song with excellent hopes. I suspect I'll make a few guitarists jealous out there, if they can tell the difference: HA!ha!

(I welcome any comments from NI- Prominy fans and non-Prominy fans.)

Philip  

soundchaser59
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 558
    RE: Prominy and NI Kontakt Player?! 2008/10/18 15:32:44 (permalink)
    I did everything every which way, the right way and the wrong way and the right way, wiped and reinstalled everything and did it again exaclty as NI told me......with more than one sequencer package....

and I will NEVER touch another NI-based product ever again.

Too bad, because Garritan had really nice sounds, and NI ruined my impression of Garritan. If Garritan had their own player, I would probably give them another chance, cuz the Garritan Jazz Big Band package is superb. But I assume Gary Garritan never wants to hear from me again, since I was a pain in their backside trying to get them to help me with NI problems, which of course they were powerless to do anything about.

So there are two "entities" I will never allow on my machine again, and NI is one of them.
    post edited by soundchaser59 - 2008/10/18 15:35:20
    Philip
    RE: Prominy and NI Kontakt Player?! 2008/10/18 21:38:06 (permalink)
    Thanks Gary for your validation.

To be sure, I won't even consider Kontakt nor Kore, nor the full-blown infested version of NI Guitar Rig. NI-Prominy crashed Sonar another 5 times today … my platform was stable and clean until NI.

Thousands of obsessive-compulsive bells and whistles atop an unstable program. The Prominy upgrade was merely more bells and whistles; there were no fixes for the unstable Prominy program.

'Makes me wonder why CW decided on Guitar Rig Lite.

Also makes me want to post-pone the S-8 upgrade until someone comments favorably on Guitar Rig Lite (besides the NI moderator).

Philip  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1