rough show of hands

Author
wrench45us
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4991
2008/10/16 08:43:20 (permalink)

rough show of hands

How many of you could honestly say that you could perform your latest 10 compositions or so in a live venue with recognizable semblance to your posted song?

(given the appropriate number of clones and equipment)

I could probably play some parts, but not all. And have taken off much of this year to improve playing and theory skills.
Honestly I don't even remember most of what I've created because once its 'recorded' I don't play it again. For better or worse, it's not like gigging and keeping up a song list.

The question is getting to muscial skills, but also compositional workflow -- possibly to distinguish this group and market from Sonar 'recordists'.

19 Replies Related Threads

syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/16 08:45:22 (permalink)
    With my use of arpeggios in many of the tracks I make, I would say it would be near on impossible to perform most of the tracks Ive done, with the possible exception of Journey.
    DerGeist
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 329
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/16 08:53:54 (permalink)
    That is part of the fun.

I do play some of my impossible to play "studio" recordings live mostly by writing live performance specific versions of them. I have a 15 track electronic song that modified for solo piano (had to drop bits of of course). I find people like hearing things they know played in a very different way.

Radiohead are really masters of this. They take a very processed (backward recording I think) song like Like Spinning Plates and rewrite for live use. A lot of bands have to scratch their heads and think about how to play the unplayable live. Usually it requires some rewritting and comprismise.

You could also go the Daft Punk route. Load 1000 little song bits in to Live or P5 in your case and trigger them from the groove matrix. Basically jam on your own stuff.

I will leave the question of wheather that is actually playing to the philosophers.
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/16 09:23:41 (permalink)
    I think it would be impossible for me, unless I set everything up in the groove matrix. but then it would be more or less just me hitting buttons. I would have to create some artistic stage show with naked bloody girls crawling around on stage, and odd movie back drops of my art.

hmmmmm......might be kinda fun....wait, scratch that Idea,...social phobias....

pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/16 09:44:20 (permalink)
    not me!

and i've actually spent far more time in the last 12 months teaching myself guitar in order to do just this, and because of this i'm thinking much more about "performance" which in turn effects arrangement, and so on

that, and winemaking

list of stuff
    wrench45us
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/16 10:05:32 (permalink)

I got more and more into a sort of 4 or 5 piece group sound and 'played in' about half of the parts, but then 'derived' the other parts from the midi data of those parts.

Then, of course , there's the dissection of frozen audio into sections and feeding that to various grain machines and 'other' for the all-important atmospheric effects.

It wouldn't be easy
    I see P5 as a 'studio as tool' with midi and to some extent audio
    maybe some Sonar users see Sonar as 'studio as tool' with audio, but my sense is that they're more about capturing than manipulating

something like Ableton is definitely geared to manipulating audio

cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/16 11:08:47 (permalink)
    I spent the better part of my life performing live, primarily as a bassist and vocalist, but I used to sequence the synth parts for several bands that I was in and the drummer would play along with a click track. We pulled it off quite well, but those were primarily 80s/90s cover bands doing the new wave/alt rock thing. Piano is my secondary instrument by training, so I could play the individual parts, but I obviously don't have enough hands to cover ALL of the keyboard parts in our trance/house compositions.

It's funny that you brought this up because one of the singers that I work with wants to start performing live and has been bugging me to get back into it. My biggest concern isn't the playing, it's the 20-yo kids laughing at the old guy on the stage with the young, hot singer - they'd probably think I'm her dad!

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

pwal
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/16 11:09:30 (permalink)
    at the mo i'm recording everything into sonar "live" whether it's acoustic gtr, or squelchy synth arps, using the lappy as a fancy instr/fx box, out some speakers, in some mics, it's great fun*

*ymmv

list of stuff
    wrench45us
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/16 11:30:10 (permalink)
    but I obviously don't have enough hands to cover ALL of the keyboard parts in our trance/house compositions.

that's why I mentioned the cloning technology and same sort of fantasy with low latecny equipment

I don't know what to think of Grove Matrix triggering of parts
    but then as cryphonik brings up there's always been synthsizer sequencing
    so where exactly does that line get drawn of recreating in performance

one extreme is using various looping tools and playing everything in siglehadedly and live and layering and unlayering and some people do that
    the other extreme is one guy on a stage with a laptop hitting a single button

so either way the cloning would make it more interesting

pwal
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/16 12:02:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wrench45us

the other extreme is one guy on a stage with a laptop hitting a single button

that's what i'm trying to avoid, as i wouldn't be particularly entertained by it myself... but now it's "what bits can/shall i play?!" and which bits are sequenced/triggered... and of course everything is becoming re-arranged from a "performance" perrspective as opposed to a "programmed" one

list of stuff
    pwal
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/16 12:03:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: cryophonik
    My biggest concern isn't the playing, it's the 20-yo kids laughing at the old guy on the stage with the young, hot singer - they'd probably think I'm her dad!

you need either shades & all-black clothing, or a lovely simon cowell sweater

list of stuff
    ecamburn
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/16 12:40:09 (permalink)
    Regarding the original question, my answer would depend a lot on how the performance was actually delivered. It seems like the more common format is a laptop performance. If that's the format, then I'd answer yes, I could pull my stuff off live with a laptop and P5 & the groovematrix or Ableton live. But it sounds to me like your question is asking about a more traditional performance - i.e. musicians playing instruments rather than triggering and mashing up pre-recorded patterns in real time. If that's the question, I think I'd have a hard time pulling off a traditional live performance, mainly because my songs rely fairly heavily on harmony across tracks rather than within tracks.

I've always thought that electronic acts, with this near universal use of laptop performance, have missed the boat on live performances given the huge variety of midi controllers out there. Where are the modern day Kraftwerks?

post edited by ecamburn - 2008/10/17 09:39:30
    wrench45us
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/16 12:48:21 (permalink)
    musicians playing instruments rather than triggering and mashing up pre-recorded patterns in real time.

exactly

look at some of the hip hop bands that have gone with a live drummer

I've seen some bands on UK television playing intriguing combinations of dance music

It's sort of a an imprecise formulation, but my sense is most Sonar producers could with cloning and/or sufficient studio musicians pull off live what they compose/record

where it's a very different world for P5 users -- even if Sonar is used in the mixing/mastering

cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/16 12:58:29 (permalink)

where it's a very different world for P5 users -- even if Sonar is used in the mixing/mastering

That's a good point. Since I do 95% of my work in Sonar and rely on P5 for only the initial 5% (i.e., getting basic ideas down), I would be pretty limited (crippled?) for live performance. If I ever decide to perform my stuff live, I'd definitely have to recreate my projects in P5 to take advantage of the Groove Matrix.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

ecamburn
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/16 13:02:21 (permalink)
    Here's one e-artist I know of who bucks the laptop trend somewhat (mixes laptops, keyboards, live drums and bass)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtyGy2tc3cg

FWIW, this guy's (Shulman) music is pretty complex, and the live performance seems to me a pretty good rep. of his CDs.

wrench45us
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/16 13:18:52 (permalink)

and let us never forget Grandpa Mojo

and his combo platter of software/hardware and live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wmJmoy53zI

ctgleason
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/16 20:54:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: :10:
    I would have to create some artistic stage show with naked bloody girls crawling around on stage, and odd movie back drops of my art.

I saw the Butthole Surfers twice in their early days and this is a pretty good description of the shows. You just need a bullhorn and an inverted cymbal full of lighter fluid to complete the act.
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/17 02:45:29 (permalink)
    not I... I play 'arrangers piano'.

Chris in Indy
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/17 21:20:12 (permalink)
    I can play several of my songs live, but they are not exactly as the recorded version. I have to make myself crib notes to come close to repeating setups for songs I have already committed to CD.

I'm beginning to use P5 as a plug in for Sonar. I usually have been using rewire to get P5 into Sonar.

Chris in Indy ............... 
    Tascam US 2000, Behringer Power Pro 8, Akai MPD 18, Yamaha MG 82cx, Mackie MCU Pro, Mackie MR 8's, M Audio BX-5's, M Audio 61 es, Yamaha MM6, Roland SH-201, KRK-KMS 8400's, Shure SRH 1840's, Audio Technica AT 2020's, Windows 8.1 64 bit, Sonar Platinum, SoundForge 10, East/West Libraries, GPO, Real Guitar, Project 5v2, FM-7, 
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: rough show of hands 2008/10/18 17:04:38 (permalink)
    How many of you could honestly say that you could perform your latest 10 compositions or so in a live venue with recognizable semblance to your posted song?
    (given the appropriate number of clones and equipment)
    ...The question is getting to muscial skills, but also compositional workflow -- possibly to distinguish this group and market from Sonar 'recordists'.

This is why I went back to college (yes, I was a drop-out). I had the realization that my skills were sadly lacking in a lot of areas, even though I've been playing professionally/semi-professionally for the last 27 years. I would "create" a piece in Project 5, and then in trying to replay it a few months later, I would find that I couldn't do it, or could perform it only with great difficulty - and it wasn't as if the parts were truly all that difficult.

I decided that enough was enough - I was tired of being illiterate, at least in a musical sense.

TBH, it hasn't been all that easy (waking up long dormant brain cells never is). There are days when I wake up and ask myself "why the heck am I doing this?", especially when an assignment is due or I've failed an exam, or I'm when I'm having trouble memorizing a piece.

However, yesterday I looked at a piece of music and after a quick visual run-through I was actually able to play it! Woo-Hoo!!!

Also, I've been exposed to a lot of more new/old music that I'd never heard before, and has given me an enlarged compositional palate to create with - as soon as I can find the time.

I know that not everyone can afford school, or has the time for it. I didn't either until recently, due to circustances I won't go into here. Still, next time you're in a bookstore - pickup that "Music theory & sight-reading for Ninja Groove-matrix Project-fivers*" book (or any other music theory book) and actuallly read it. You won't regret it.

*Hypothetical book title that doesn't exist, but should...
    post edited by MurderDethKill - 2008/10/18 17:14:47

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1