flash. When some is going in (like pressing a key on a musical
keyboard) one flash, and when something is being sent to the midi
controller the other flashes. Neither flash when i do anything with
the midi keyboard.
I have ticked EMU 0404 in the in and output of the MIDI Devices menu
in sonar. I can hear MIDI sounds, just can't enter them via a MIDI
controller.
I have also reinstalled the EMU 0404 program and Sonar and i still
have this problem. My cables are going to the correct in and out.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Chris

Windows XP Pro, EMU 0404 PCI Soundcard, Sonar Home Studio 6, 1.5 GB RAM, AMD 2.0 Ghz processor, 80GB Hard Drive

4 Replies Related Threads

CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: EMU 0404 Midi stopped working 2008/10/17 07:18:24 (permalink)
    Chris,
    I have an EMU04040 also and have been playing with MIDI for the last few weeks. I am no expert though. I don't have a clear answer for your problem. What I wanted to tell you is that my MIDI was a little glitchy and I am not sure why. I hooked up my keyboard to MIDI in on the card one evening and could get no input activity or sound. The funny thing is I had done it before and it worked fine. I had changed no settings that I knew of. I unhooked the keyboard and connected my guitar synth MIDI out to the MIDI in on the 0404 and voila, input activity and sounds. I then switched back to the keyboard and it worked fine then. I used the keyboard to lay down a MIDI track that evening without a problem. Several days later I began to work on some MIDI tracks with the guitar synth hooked up. Every so often, after a track had been laid down, I would stop hearing the triggered sounds. There was still input activity but no sounds. I closed Sonar and reopened it and everything was fine.

I don't know what to advise you to do but it seems maybe the 0404 can be glitchy? Or at least it can in my particular setup. I've also found that sometimes my MIDI cables don't seat very well and that was the problem at least one time that I know about.

Now something I just thought about. I don't know how much experience you have with Sonar (or a DAW) and MIDI but based on your new member status and the fact that you didn't mention inserting a softsynth in your Sonar project, that maybe you simply hooked up your MIDI cables and cranked up Sonar without putting a softsynth in your project? If so then you definitely would not hear anything. When you indicated that you ticked the correct input and output, that might have been in one of the preference dialog boxes. Anyway, if I am wrong and you know how to do MIDI with a softsynth, sorry. If not, insert a softsynth into your project and you should get sounds triggered without even arming a track for record (assuming the softsynth has an active patch/sample loaded).

Good luck.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: EMU 0404 Midi stopped working 2008/10/17 10:28:37 (permalink)
    a midi icon
    appears in the taskbar with a picture of a keyboard with 2 things that
    flash. When some is going in (like pressing a key on a musical
    keyboard) one flash, and when something is being sent to the midi
    controller the other flashes. Neither flash when i do anything with
    the midi keyboard.

I used to have the 0404.... sold it on Ebay and got a Focusrite Saffire. I had to call to Emu tech support way to many times. The 0404 was a difficult card for me to work with....

In my discussions with Emu tech support, they always asked me if the icon you refered to was "flashing". From what I can remember about that Icon is that it tells you if the DAW is seeing the midi data coming in...so if it's not flashing, the data is not getting to the program.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: EMU 0404 Midi stopped working 2008/10/17 13:01:05 (permalink)
    Turn off power management to the root hubs; XP turns it on by default.

Go into device manager and right click on a root hub to bring up properties. Under power management, uncheck any checked boxes. Repeat for each hub and reboot.
    Done.

ew
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    RE: EMU 0404 Midi stopped working 2008/10/17 14:49:26 (permalink)
    My drummer puts his TD12 through an 0404 USB and the 0404 used to go to sleep quite regularly.

Strange thing was when we shut down Sonar and ran midiOx to check the problem out, midiOx seemed to wake the 0404 up again.

Not really a fix, but it has kept us going a few times. So try MidiOx, at least you will see if midi data is hitting your PC

Has not happened for a while, but at the same time we figured out how to save his TD12 config as a sysex dump with midiOx and that was the silver lining in all our troubles.
    post edited by auto_da_fe - 2008/10/17 14:52:33

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1