Feedback on New Song

Author
Nutty
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2056
2008/10/18 18:48:08 (permalink)

Feedback on New Song

Many of you listened to the song for my Mom. Well, the light finally came on and I have a scratch track of a song for my Dad. I've posted it on my soundclick page: www.soundclick.com/atmmusic

I am working on some harmony right now, sometimes it take a while to come to me. I just slapped a couple of FX on my voice cause it wasn't loud enough. I thought I would get some feedback on how I could make it better or any tips you might have to offer. Then I will go back and perfect the vocals and guitar work that I have here.

Thanks.

Nutty /Annette
http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars

14 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Feedback on New Song 2008/10/18 19:06:21 (permalink)

Wow Annette - what a beautiful song.

This is much more than a scratch track though - it doesn't need a great deal of work to turn it into a real winner in my opinion

Your recording technique is obviously coming along in leaps and bounds - the mix is good and the levels are about right, personally I'd like to hear a bit more of that sweet acoustic guitar in there but as you say, there is more to be added yet so it's not a final mix.

Just out of interest I checked your levels and it looks like you've got just about the right of headroom above your overall level to work nicely with in the following stages - perfect!

I'm looking forward to the finished version in the Songs forum

Keep up the good work

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Nutty
    RE: Feedback on New Song 2008/10/18 19:19:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK
    Just out of interest I checked your levels and it looks like you've got just about the right of headroom above your overall level to work nicely with in the following stages - perfect!
    Steve

Thanks very much Steve for the feedback. I hope he will like it. One of the reasons I posted it is that I figured we have a lot of Dad's here, so I would the sense whether it was a good song or not. His birthday is Nov. 8 and I'm hoping to be able to go back home for it. I thought it would be a good birthday present and I can give my Mom her song at the same time. Mom turned 81 in June and Dad will be 81 on his birhday, so it's time to tell them how special they are. I grew up in one of those households where you couldn't show any emotions. Luckily that has changed in the past 10 years or so.

Out of curiosity, how did you check the levels of the song?

I'm glad you think that I'm progressing. I'm not sure sometimes, but I at least like to show everyone that I am trying. I've pit everyone through so much. But, if I can show the pay-off, I'll feel much better about posting my 10,000 questions.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen.

Nutty /Annette
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Feedback on New Song 2008/10/18 19:38:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nutty

Out of curiosity, how did you check the levels of the song?

Just checked the meters on my TonePort Annette - I have them set to show the output levels as opposed to the actual volume of the signal, if that makes any sense.

You were peaking a fair few dB's below where my 'finished' Soundclick mp3's do.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Feedback on New Song 2008/10/18 20:05:18 (permalink)
    Yep... good stuff. work out the glitches and this will be really nice.

I can tell that you are learning this stuff pretty good. The music was really recorded well.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Nutty
    RE: Feedback on New Song 2008/10/18 20:57:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker
    Yep... good stuff. work out the glitches and this will be really nice.
    I can tell that you are learning this stuff pretty good. The music was really recorded well.

See, I follow instructions...when I was sent to my "room" and go produce something.

Thanks for listening and the feedback.

Nutty

Nutty /Annette
    ascottdesign
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 957
    RE: Feedback on New Song 2008/10/18 21:33:36 (permalink)
    Great stuff Annette. Is this recorded with your new software..Oh no I suppose you havent had time to get that out of the box yet.
    Well done...Really nice
    Nutty
    RE: Feedback on New Song 2008/10/18 21:38:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for listening Alan...glad you liked it.

I actually did record this with the new software!! Amazing isn't it. I can sort of find my way around enough to record anyway. I have had good training here. I had a look at the add on's though and I paniced. There is a lot to learn there. But I will slowly make my way around. My priority is to get the songs I have done finished.

Thanks again.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    dave sitting at home
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Feedback on New Song 2008/10/18 21:42:33 (permalink)
    Nice work Annette, your voice is reminding me a lot of Jane Sibbery (she now goes by ISSA), a Canadian, check her out if you aren't familiar. Sorry, I had to listen on my laptop and the sound obviously isn't going to be that good, but if it sounded good on that then it must sound better on good speakers.

P4 1.7GHz, 2.5G RAM, MC, Tascam US-224
    Yamaha PSR273, Microkorg, KP3, Kaossilator, Fender Acoustic, Behringer, MicroBR, Zoom, TC Helicon, Digitech, Blueman Group Keyboard, Farfisa, http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=564197
    Nutty
    RE: Feedback on New Song 2008/10/18 22:10:20 (permalink)
    Thanks Dave for the feedback. I know posting the mp3 on soundclick doesn't do it any justice either. But we get a good idea of how it sounds anyway.

I am not aware of Jane Sibbery. I'm embarrassed being Canadian myself. I will check her out.

Thanks again.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Feedback on New Song 2008/10/18 23:50:40 (permalink)
    That is good, Annette. It's amazing how you've progressed the last few months. You father should be very happy with this.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Feedback on New Song 2008/10/19 00:35:21 (permalink)
    Very interesting mix. I'm listening a second time, I need to do some counting. There is a pause form one "verse" to the next, and then you start the next verse. The first beat. it has a totaly different feel to it. I was going to suggest there was a timing problem there, but it is right in "time" so to speak. It is just a different accent. That first beat is hit straight on, exactly in time, but the accents are different. It catches the ear, it is different, and it is correct. I think I would leave it just as it is, with the tweaks of more background vocals in your style, and whatever instrumentation you add or subtract, this is gonna be a very interesting tune.
    I'm gonna download this and try something with the word/phrasing, send you a mp3, see if you like it.
    You really are getting this whole multitrack digital recording thing figured out. A year ago you probably would have laughed if some one would have suggested you would be recording your own music at this quality, now look at you. Great work.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Nutty
    RE: Feedback on New Song 2008/10/19 09:04:29 (permalink)
    Thanks Greg and Albert.

I sure hope he does like it. Hopefully I'll have it ready for his birthday. We're not allowed to buy presents anymore so, this is perfect. I missed my Mom's birthday, so she will be pleased too I hope with her song.

Albert, you have me puzzled, so I must go have a listen to hear what you are referring too!

And you are both right. I never would have dreamt that I would be doing this. If I hadn't gotten sick I probably would not have done this. At least there is one positive thing out coming out of this mess! Well actully two, I got to make a lot of friends here. So, the two positives really help me make it through the day. And I'm being serious about this. So, thank you all my freinds.

Thanks again guys.

Nutty /Annette
    mgcain
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: Feedback on New Song 2008/10/19 09:20:28 (permalink)
    That's a Great song Annette! Very well done, I"m sure your father will LOVE it!...For arelative newbie, you are picking this up at a tremendous pace! The mix was really good, sounded very full and rich...

You should be proud!

Mitch
    Music Creator 4, Pentium Dual Core 3 ghz 2 GB RAM,
    Ovation Acoustic, Schecter Electric, SM58 Mic, SHS Audio 802-d Mixer,M-Audio Delta-44 Sound Card, TC Helicon VoiceLive, This Forum
    Nutty
    RE: Feedback on New Song 2008/10/19 09:36:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Mitch,

I think he will like it. He heard an old version of one my songs "Let Me Out", which is not one he would be too interested in (it's bascially about all the problems going through life and then realizing that you are the one that has control of it all), but he wanted a copy just because I did it. So, this song will be much more fitting for him.

Thanks again for listenng Mitch.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1