Help with soft synth

Author
mosk
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 93
2008/10/21 09:18:44 (permalink)

Help with soft synth

Hi. I'm new to Sonar (have6.3 LE)

I've got things set up so I can record MIDI from my Roland Keyboard, but I'm not sure how to use the soft synths (actually, not even sure which if any were included in the installation).

I'd like to take my recording and try playing it back as different instruments - trumpet, harp, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mosk the Scribe

6 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Help with soft synth 2008/10/21 13:23:56 (permalink)
    OK... soft synths are cool... disclaimer: I have MC4 & TTS, my setup may vary from yours and my SS might also be different from yours.

First: If you have tutorial #8.. it describes how to set up the synths....

Second: maybe better.... go to my site www.herbhartley.com navigate to the music pages..MC4 tips and work through the setup for TTS... If you have a different synth (maybe Ederol..or other) you will need to substitute it in place of TTS.... same applies to the soundcard you are using...mine is Saffire, just use yours. The setup walks you through steop by step inserting the synth into a new project and getting 3 instruments playing from that one synth.

Assumptions: That you have a decent soundcard and not the built in factory kind, and the audio is working OK.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    mosk
    RE: Help with soft synth 2008/10/23 00:33:22 (permalink)
    Thanks Guitarhacker. I've made some progress with Sonar LE (or thought I had)
    As best I can tell, TTS (which is described in the Help files) doesn't come with Sonar LE.

Dropzone and Triangle II do.

I had everything working for a while, with my midi track output set to DropZone and a synth track using Dropzone for input then outputting to a master bus. Unfortunately, as I try to replicate my setup, I can't get any output again. What's especially frustrating is that the manual / help files aren't actually for Sonar LE; they're for a 'pay' version of the program as opposed to the 'free' version I paid for with my $100 microphone.

I'll try to go back through the semi-applicable tutorials, but I really wasn't expecting to have to waste so much time on this particular aspect.

NOTE / EDIT - Program had to close unexpectedly for some error. When I re-opened it, the synthesizer started working normally again.
    post edited by mosk - 2008/10/23 00:51:13
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Help with soft synth 2008/10/23 07:58:32 (permalink)
    Here's a free synth. It plays sampled instruments. I use it on all my tunes for bass & piano. Visit my soundclick & listen to the quality of this synth, then visit my website and get some free fonts by following the links I've provided.

http://www.project5.com/products/instruments/sfz_player/default.asp

Have fun.... this thing is sweeeeet.

BMI/NSAI

mosk
    RE: Help with soft synth 2008/10/23 10:33:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help.

I'm still wandering pretty blind, but after following some links on your site, I think I'm headed in the right direction. Downloaded a DSK saxophone and got that working - so at least I'm starting to understand the process.

For the sfz player, do I need to 'install' the 'fonts' or instruments somehow? When I select sfz from my synth rack, it doesn't have any presets listed and doesn't produce any output.

Thanks again.

Mosk the Scribe
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Help with soft synth 2008/10/23 15:20:50 (permalink)
    Yes... in a way...you do.

The fonts come zipped. You need to unzip them and some DO require a specialized unzipper... but they are free as well.

Create two folders... one on the desktop and the other in your cakewalk folder. Download the zipped files to the folder on the desk top. Unzip them from there and either unzip into the desktop folder or give the address for the CW folder. Either way, you will need to have (Generally a DLL file) the unzipped file(s) placed into the CW folder.... it's ok to have a subfolder for each instrument. I recommend this highly. Then in your platform, go into the plug in manager and add the new file folder to the scan list, save it and then run the scan. The new instrument should now appear in the list of available fonts for SFZ when you open SFZ and select a font.

On the top bar of the SFZ player, you will see the word FILE with a triangle/arrow beside it.... click that and the list of available instruments will display. Double click to select one.

I have noticed that some fonts do not play with my SFZ player.....

BMI/NSAI

mosk
    RE: Help with soft synth 2008/10/24 12:35:44 (permalink)
    Thanks Guitarhacker. Hopefully I'll get some time to work on this over the weekend.

Mosk the Scribe
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1