Stuck on tutorial 3, setting up audio track

Author
DgmTexas
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2008/10/22 06:53:50 (permalink)

Stuck on tutorial 3, setting up audio track

Hello, new to this and very novice, so please, all of you techies be kind. I am simply trying to record a guitar track and vocals. I find the manaul for the Power Staion 660 to pretty poor to be honest, the only reference to my SPS-66 was a one page fold out in four lanuages, the rest of the manual (four lanuages) only refer to the FA-66. Under the input field, I think it's fairly clear, since I am using the only two inputs on the front, but when setting up an audio track, for the out put I have the following choices, NONE, CAKEWALK 1-3, MASTER, METRONOME AND SUBGROUP 1. on #2, the only reference is "click the dropdown arrow and select an audio from the menu", I would assumme, and I think it's sad to have to do so, with the amount I paid for this product, that the choice would be MASTER? The next paragraph #3, even confuses me more, "Usually you select the left channel of one of your sound cards"? How many sound cards do they think are in a computer? I don't want to use my sound card, it's a SigmaTel that came with the computer. I want to keep everything within my SPS-66 through the fire wire.

I can hear my guitar through my headphones, and it responds to left, right or stero, but I can not see any meter activity, or record anything when I hit record.

What should be the settings for Input and Output, to simply hear and record a guitar direct in to Input2/R?

DGM

5 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Stuck on tutorial 3, setting up audio track 2008/10/22 08:53:34 (permalink)
    Welcome, DGM!

Ok, first of all, if you have the Power Studio 660, then you're in the wrong forum. This is the forum for Music Creator software and the Power Studio 660 software and hardware combination are much more complicated than MC. Now - these folks here are great and we can try to help you, but I just wanted you to understand that this forum you're in is a much lower entry level product than what you have.

2nd - the SPS-66 and the FA-66 are the same thing. the only difference between the two is that the SPS-66 has Cakewalk's name on the OEM product built by Roland/Edirol. They're the same except for the external paintings and the model number. so you can use them interchangably in the manual.

for your OUTPUT options, CAKEWALK 1-3 will be your outputs on the SPS-66. MASTER, METRONOME and SUBGROUP 1 will be the buses listed at the bottom of the screen of Sonar 6. you should be using the master bus as your output for all tracks, then set the output of the master bus to CAKEWALK 1-3.

as for your question about the tutorial stating to select the left channel of ONE of your soundcards, they are correct. you will have 2 soundcards after you connect and set up the SPS-66. One of them is your onboard soundcard that comes with your computer's motherboard. the other is the SPS-66. Which it sounds like you already know, so I'm not sure why you're confused about this statement. Yes, you are correct, you need to keep everything going thru the SPS-66 and NOT thru the SigmaTel. you shouldn't use the sigmatel for anything during recording INCLUDING output. monitor with headphones or plug your powered speakers up to the SPS-66, not thru the sigmatel.

OK - here's where we need to get a little more info:

you can hear your guitar thru headphones (plugged into the SPS-66, I assume) and it responds but you cannot see any meter activity (on the track?) or record anything when you hit record. what happens when you hit record? does the track timeline start moving? is a line placed on the track? is it just a straight line? did you ARM the track?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    mgcain
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: Stuck on tutorial 3, setting up audio track 2008/10/22 09:02:32 (permalink)
    DGM - You're in good hands with Beagle...

I can't talke to the SPS-66 as I have an internal Delta-44 Audio Card, but when I first read the "I am playing, hearing it in the headphones, but no meter activity" line I immediately thought the same thing - you have to ARM the track for recording before you hit record, if not, it will behave just as you said...

Mitch
    Music Creator 4, Pentium Dual Core 3 ghz 2 GB RAM,
    Ovation Acoustic, Schecter Electric, SM58 Mic, SHS Audio 802-d Mixer,M-Audio Delta-44 Sound Card, TC Helicon VoiceLive, This Forum
    DgmTexas
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Stuck on tutorial 3, setting up audio track 2008/10/23 04:06:08 (permalink)
    Hi Beagle and Mitch

Thanks for you reply, yes, when I hit record, I can hear the Metronome, since I set it to play, and the track timeline starts moving. It looks like it's actually recording, but there is nothing in the note view and zero when I hit return and play. I have the audio in set correctly, and have tried the Cakewalk out with channels 1-3. I guess I should not of made any negative comments the manual, because in the other forum was flamed. Since I can not see any meter movement, while a track is on record, what type of audio problem can I possibly be having?
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Stuck on tutorial 3, setting up audio track 2008/10/23 08:57:41 (permalink)
    Just to clarify, you are saying that the record button in the track view is red? And also the record light in the transport view is red? Both red lights must be on.
    Can you hear any thing in your headphones/monitors while trying to record?
    Are you saying that they flamed on you for negative comments about the manual....how rude. You don't get away with harrassing a Texan on this forum. Why I otta....

Just noticed that you did mention hearing you guitar in the headphones. I'm still thinking....
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Stuck on tutorial 3, setting up audio track 2008/10/23 09:04:59 (permalink)
    And also, you still didn't say if you ARMED the track?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1