floyd rose question?

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2008/10/22 10:45:58 (permalink)

floyd rose question?

I have a side project helping a friend rehabilitate his mid eighties shredder.

This guitar is one of those low end clones with a licensed Floyd Rose tremolo that never played well... but it's my friend's so I want to treat it with respect.

Luckily he has upgraded and has 2 nice and fully playable guitars these days... so we can be honest about this one.

Here's the deal... I've never worked with a floyd system and I have a basic question.

The two trem pivot bolts are fastened to bushings that have been press fit into the guitar.

The bushing are loose and on the bridge is "floating" up when I place the tension springs in the back cavity.

It's very difficult to pull the bushings out by hand... (attempted by pulling on the screw that fits in the bushing) but the leverage of the tremolo seems to pull the bushings right up with ease.

Honestly I'm at the point where I want to rout the guitar and place fresh wood in the floyd "hole" to prepare the guitar for a reliable bridge... but the best part about this guitar is the paint job :-(.

I thought I'd ask to confirm that the bushings are intended to be tight and stable... does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm considering gluing the bushings but I don't have much faith that it will be a reliable connection.

Any ideas?

thanks,
mike
post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/10/22 10:54:43

21 Replies Related Threads

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 10:59:59 (permalink)
    I'm having a hard time understanding what your problem is. You're trying to remove the two bushings that are press fit into the body of the guitar? But you can't because they are tightly pressed into the wood?

First of all, the bushing are suppose to be press fitted into the body of the guitar. They are supposed to be tight. You don't want them loose. There are a couple of pivot screws that simply screw into those bushings. Those might be loose but they shouldn't be so loose they rattle around. When the entire system is installed, nothing should rattle or move.

I'm not entire sure what your problem is so I can't comment further. Trying to remove those bushings might be difficult. That I agree. If they were glued in originally, you might find them impossible to pull out by hand. It might be necessary to heat them up first to soften the glue. I would do that by just sticking a large soldering iron in there for a few minutes.

Maybe explain better what you're trying to fix.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 11:33:12 (permalink)
    Mike I've replaced bushings in a Strat and pretty sure they're basically the same.

Yes they are press fit so they will be tight. You do need to get them tight.
    I would not want to drill, plug, re-drill either. What I would try first and will most likely work is;
    Pry the bushings out. Staight out. Then I would try JB weld or something similiar to fill in the slack.
    Tape the surface of guitar, remove tape from holes, coat lightly cavity walls, lightly coat bushings, inset pivot bolts to assure the bushings are set right. Insert and let set-up.

Michael

I always find bad spelling after posting
    post edited by spacey - 2008/10/22 11:39:58
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 11:36:37 (permalink)
    Hi Larry,

The only reason I have tried to move the bushings is because when I mount the tremolo in the body and place the tension springs in the rear cavity they rise up out of the body like a greased pig.

When I purposefully tried to pull them out (by using a pliers on the head of the bolt that's screwed into the bushing) I find it mildly difficult.

So they are sort of tight but not tight enough... I guess.

What I'm asking is if I should stop right here and deal with the bushings OR if somehow the string tension will force them down.

I guess I'm asking if any movement in the bushings is typical or tolerable.

Does that make any more sense?

thanks very much,
    mike

edit to add: Thanks Michael.
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/10/22 11:41:14

spacey
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 11:41:03 (permalink)
    Mike those bushings are basically tapped "plugs".
    When you get them out you will see the ridges meant to keep them from spinning and to help set.

I had to relocate them on my Strat. I drilled for the new bushings and plugged the original holes.
    You can look up tremelos and see a picture of them if it would make you feel a little better about doing it.

Also...if this was a fresh hole one would want a soft mallet to drive the bushing in. If hole is drilled straight bushing will be right.
    post edited by spacey - 2008/10/22 11:47:00
    spacey
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 11:47:22 (permalink)
    Warning Mike...glad I thought of it..
    When you pry out do it slow and watch the finish..the bushing may try to lift finish around the edge of hole. If you see that happening stop, push the bushing back in a hair and twist it a little then pry some more.
    krizrox
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 11:47:44 (permalink)
    So just trying to pull the bushings straight upwards is difficult but they seem to want to pull up and out when the trem is installed (with no strings attached)? That's odd.

Well, here's the problem as I see it: those pivot points are your only point of contact with the body of the guitar (other than the springs in the cavity which are only there to provide reverse tension). If they are not solid or tight, then you might actually loose some sustain. Gluing them in to make them tight doesn't sound unreasonable until the next person has to deal with the problem (assuming there will ever be a "next person").

I think at some point, the question comes up - how much is this guitar worth to your friend. Remounting those bushings is a chore. Especially if it involves some woodworking.

Bottom line - tight is good. Whatever it takes to make them tight is the right way to go including glue. There may be another option that invlves replacing the bushings with larger bushings so they grip the wood better. Check with Stewart-McDonald and see if they offer a solution. Good luck! Perhaps someone else has a better idead.

Oh - another question - is the trem floating? I mean, are the tension springs in the cavity set so that trem floats above the body of the guitar or are they set so that the rear of the trem is forced down onto the body of the guitar? Some players prefer to lock the trem down so it doesn't actually float. It rests on the body of the guitar. This method offers two advantages - there is typically more sustain and when you bend a note, the other strings don't go out of tune as badly. With a floating trem, when you bend one string, the others go flat.
    post edited by krizrox - 2008/10/22 11:56:51

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    spacey
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 11:51:45 (permalink)
    You can see the bushings here

Oversized may require drilling...I'd plug the hole and re-drill stock size before I'd enlarge. Bushings are somewhat hard to get anyway.
    krizrox
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 11:58:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spacey

Oversized may require drilling...I'd plug the hole and re-drill stock size before I'd enlarge. Bushings are somewhat hard to get anyway.

Well, either method requires drilling (although a slightly oversize bushing might not). Plugging the existing holes and redrilling brand new holes is risky because those holes have to be pretty straight. These are knife-edge bearings we're talking about. Those Gibson style bridges are less forgiving but even they have to be pretty straight. You almost need a drill press for that type of work. I wouldn't want to attempt that with a hand drill.
    post edited by krizrox - 2008/10/22 12:11:56

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

spacey
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 12:50:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: krizrox

ORIGINAL: spacey

Well, either method requires drilling (although a slightly oversize bushing might not). Plugging the existing holes and redrilling brand new holes is risky because those holes have to be pretty straight. These are knife-edge bearings we're talking about. Those Gibson style bridges are less forgiving but even they have to be pretty straight. You almost need a drill press for that type of work. I wouldn't want to attempt that with a hand drill.

Your right. That's what I said but same size and your not drilling the finish with plugging first-same size bushing. And one wouldn't need an oversized bushing and getting one is not going to be easy. I did attempt with a hand drill. Others may not want to do that. Mine worked fine. I did score the finish with a razor knife before drilling so not to chip the finish. I would not say that the tremolo needs less attention than a Gibson or fixed bridge. They both need to be installed right. The pivot point on a tremelo needs to be as designed.

The first method is what I would do which requires no drilling. Plugging hole and drilling for bushing would be my second choice and going oversized would be last shot.

Michael

ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 13:44:53 (permalink)
    Plug the hole and redrill, Mike. It's the easiest (and best in the long run) way to go. I've had to do that with a couple of my Schaller/Schaller spinoff FRs.

An original Floyd Rose doesn't use bushings- it's just two pivot screws going straight into the wood. However, because of the bridge design, the knife edges go south after a while, and they can't be replaced. The advantage of the Schaller type design with the bushings is that the knife edges can be replaced. A Schaller also sounds warmer than an OFR, due to it not having a die cast base like an OFR does.

ew

spacey
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 14:03:13 (permalink)
    Here shows the original.
    Mike stated it had bushings. This photo of the original shows it has both the bushings and the screw pivots for either application.

Either way I agree with ew that plug and drill is best.
    post edited by spacey - 2008/10/22 14:08:15
    ew
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 14:13:20 (permalink)
    Ah... they include bushings now! The OFRs I put on my guitars myself didn't have that option- but it's been over twenty years since I did an OFR install on one of my guitars...

ew
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 14:26:14 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone,

That's what I need to know.

I'm gonna try glue.

I have a pretty complete shop so precision woodworking is ok for me. I was actually considering routing and installing a fresh wood plate in the top and mounting a hard tail bridge.

Let's hope the glue works.

This friend is my good buddy who comes over and helps me when I need a hand at the house. I owe him some favors so I want to help with this guitar. The truth is it should be parted out on Ebay for spare change... but I'd like to give him back his baby so that it's playable an provides good memories etc.

Thanks for all the detailed suggestions.

best regards,
    mike

krizrox
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 14:35:51 (permalink)
    Maybe it's just the way the statements are being phrased that is confusing me. If I understood the original comment/question - the bushings were being "pulled out" when the trem was installed (with no strings attached yet). The lateral pressure from the trem was causing the bushings to pull away from the wood. Usually, if you install a floating trem with no strings installed yet, the trem will naturally want to pull back against the body of the guitar. Any trem would do that. The tension of the springs will cause that to happen. If the trem cavity is such that the trem is allowed to be pulled backwards and well as forwards, I can sort of see how this is possible. If there's no cavity behind the tail of the trem, I don't know.

I understand how this might create an upward pressure on the pivot screws but enough pressure to pull the bushings out of the body of the guitar? If this is the issue - then there is probably something wrong with the wood around the bushings. I've seen cases where users will periodically oil those pivot points and the oil will eventually soak into the wood and basically rot the wood. Or perhaps, some heavy handed trem action will eventually just wear them out.

It may be that the other guys are right - plug and redrill. That may ultimately be the best long-term solution. Again I state though, the position of those holes had better be spot on.

Stewart McDonald might make a sort of jig for this type of work - one that allows you to use a hand drill and keep the drill bit straight. You don't want the drill bit to go in sideways or drift as you go down. Good luck!

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

The Maillard Reaction
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 14:47:46 (permalink)
    Hi Kriz, I do really enjoy Stew Mac. I shop there often. I think that's a great recommendation.

FWIW, I usually make my own jigs and templates... I've got a nice drill press and and excellent collection of routing tools. For me the biggest problem is that my eyes don't see as well as they used too so I have too drag one of my production lights into the shop so I can properly exercise my obsessive detail oriented workmanship.

What I really needed to know was that the bushings should be completely tight... now that I know that I can proceed.

Thanks again,
    mike

Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 19:36:16 (permalink)
    Mike, if you're having trouble getting the bushings out, have you tried putting your feet (socks, no shoes) against the face of the guitar while you pull straight up on the stud with the pliers? I've been able to do that on several guitars where more conventional methods failed to budge the things.

<Edited for incoherent typos.>
    post edited by Jessie Sammler - 2008/10/22 21:13:13
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/22 20:25:53 (permalink)
    HA! :-)

I've got them out... they were just mildly difficult!

Thanks for the suggestion Jesse.

BTW, just so you guys know what kind of whack job I am... this is what I would whip up in the shop if I really needed a bushing puller for this situation:

It's a traditional design that is easy to build if you have some tools.

all the best,
    mike

edit to add picture and complete the post.
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/10/22 21:02:55

RockStringBender
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 416
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/26 01:15:42 (permalink)
    just some clarification (as the FR has had a lot of stigma and mis-info since the beginning):

Schaller FR is OFR. They took the contract after about 100 were made in Japan for the 1st run kramer beak headstock guitars to replace the satndard and flicker trems. Before that Floyd hand tooled around a gross true Original Fr's- those you can see the tooling marks under the plating and the fine tuner rack is 45% straight up off the base plate instead of the final design 90% tilt.

A vintage schaller labeled FR is the same as the FR labeled OFR of the same era. Most of the early schaller branded ones have a less gleaming chrome plating on the base plate yet they are one and the same.

If you "relocate" your post hole positions you #1 can't get far enough away from the original holes to make it worth it anyway and #2 you will never be able to intonate the guitar.

On new guitar build and vintage FR restorations I always epoxy the studs in.

When one of that posts tilts (fairly common on the lower post and with the original screw posts without bushings) a dowel and redrill is required. Can do the same thing with this issue except it doesn't sound like you are getting any rocking of the post.

Your condition is not often seen and the bushings should not pull up like that.. I would just epoxy them down for starters.

just my .08 cents.

I wish my lawn was emo..... then it would cut itself.
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/26 01:23:22 (permalink)
    The Floyd Rose has got to be the most misunderstood guitar part since the acoustic wood top.
    ew
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/26 02:58:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RockStringBender

just some clarification (as the FR has had a lot of stigma and mis-info since the beginning):

Schaller FR is OFR. They took the contract after about 100 were made in Japan for the 1st run kramer beak headstock guitars to replace the satndard and flicker trems. Before that Floyd hand tooled around a gross true Original Fr's- those you can see the tooling marks under the plating and the fine tuner rack is 45% straight up off the base plate instead of the final design 90% tilt.

While it's true that Schaller makes the OFR these days, there is a difference between the Schaller labeled FRs and the OFR. The Schaller uses a die cast base and hardened steel inserts for the fulcrum points. The OFR uses hardened steel throughout, and isn't die cast. An OFR will sound brighter than a Schaller branded FR.

A vintage schaller labeled FR is the same as the FR labeled OFR of the same era. Most of the early schaller branded ones have a less gleaming chrome plating on the base plate yet they are one and the same.

See above...

ew
    RockStringBender
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 416
    RE: floyd rose question? 2008/10/26 12:13:27 (permalink)
    Actual, have had this discussion before. The only true difference is the plating and the inset branding label on the schaller verses the stamped FR on the FR. I'm talking about the schallers that have no other markings on them. The schaller "licenced by FR" (stamped in on the fine tuner top) are the knife point hardened versions with a cast plate, and they also have one other variation from the OFR: the saddle blocks are positioned 1/16" closer to the nut and to get intonation on a OFR equip't guitar you need to use the last (longest) block mount hole to get your strings "long" enough.

Anyways, didn't want to challenge, just comment. The FR is IMO one of the largest advancements in guitar technology since Leo whittled those necks and Les strung that string on the rail road tie. I was an early user and get too passionate I guess.

I wish my lawn was emo..... then it would cut itself.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1