looking for zoom options in SONAR's track view

Author
OzziesFurHat
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 77
2008/10/22 15:49:50 (permalink)

looking for zoom options in SONAR's track view

Hi guys and Gals,
I am still using version 6.2 for now even though 7 and 8 are on my shelf scowling at me as we speak:) I still

am having editing navigation envy from my Cubase days. I found it so easy to drag the mouse down from the

time line to zoom in and out and am hoping I have missed some tricks here in sonar to speed up when I need to

zoom in on audio for splitting and then back out for play hopefully one handed or one moused I guess as there is

usually a guitar in the other:) And is there a way to store for quick retrieval 2 zoom setting like with the numbers

on the transport bar?

Any tip or other point of information would be much appreciated please.

thanks
the fur the hat dudede
post edited by OzziesFurHat - 2008/10/23 11:31:40

24 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/22 16:30:43 (permalink)
    You will get better answers and a lot quicker if your title reflects the question.

In Sonar there are many ways to zoom. I would study up on the different ways to see which one is best for your needs.

In the track view on the title bar of each track is a maximize and minimize button. That is the fastest way to zoom the track for editing. Then there are the zoom controls on the vertical and horizontal scroll bars. Then in 7 it has enhanced zooming as well as a zoom tool. 6 has the z key and u key for zooming. There are other ways too but you need to read about them in your manual.

Best
    John
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/22 16:35:03 (permalink)
    I know what you're talking about - Samplitude has the same feature(s). Honestly though, to me - it was more of a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other in terms of which way I liked best. I was so used to the way Sonar worked I guess I just got used to it and then trying to change my habits seemed clumsy.

The thing that annoyed me about the Sam way of working was - when I would position the mouse on that timeline to start the "zoom dragdown" it would inevitably create a loop point that was a pain to get rid of. Maybe I just wasn't doing it right but it didn't work as flawlessly as you would have expected. Sam also offered all these "mouse modes" which allows you to change the behaviour of the mouse pointer depending where in the clips pane you're working (like clicking at the top of a clip does one thing, clicking on the bottom of a clip does something else). I couldn't find a particular "mode" that worked exactly the way I wanted all the time. Shifting back and forth like that was driving me crazy. Grouping controls in Sam was a nightmare (sorry, I forgot this was about Cubase :-)
    post edited by krizrox - 2008/10/22 16:42:42

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    OzziesFurHat
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/22 20:54:29 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, John I have read the manual, many, many of them. I have used cakewalk since Dos 1.0 John, just not the last couple years, I was hoping there was some undocumented function or something as I do not find it fast at all compared to cubase, and that would be my only regret but its a big one for me, slows me down way too often and I hate the thought of ending up back in sx3 to edit things just for the lack of good navigational implementation. It has pretty much been the same approach for a decade now and I would love to see things expanded a bit so both camps can work effectively. Oh well back to work, but thanks
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/22 21:02:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: OzziesFurHat

Thanks guys, John I have read the manual, many, many of them. I have used cakewalk since Dos 1.0 John, just not the last couple years, I was hoping there was some undocumented function or something as I do not find it fast at all compared to cubase, and that would be my only regret but its a big one for me, slows me down way too often and I hate the thought of ending up back in sx3 to edit things just for the lack of good navigational implementation. It has pretty much been the same approach for a decade now and I would love to see things expanded a bit so both camps can work effectively. Oh well back to work, but thanks

The problem is there are things in 7 and I guess in 8 that do help zooming but you don't have those. In 7 you could create zoom keys for doing exactly what you want to do. So though my answer was not as useful to you it was accurate and I thought helpful. I also have Cubase SX 3. Don't use it though.

Best
    John
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/22 21:04:22 (permalink)
    "In the track view on the title bar of each track is a maximize and minimize button. That is the fastest way to zoom the track for editing. Then there are the zoom controls on the vertical and horizontal scroll bars. Then in 7 it has enhanced zooming as well as a zoom tool. 6 has the z key and u key for zooming."

John offered you several options AND suggested there are even more options...

AND your response is to change the subject of your post to call him out????

That's weird.

ricstudioc
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/22 21:07:11 (permalink)
    The problem is there are things in 7 and I guess in 8 that do help zooming but you don't have those

even though 7 and 8 are on my shelf scowling at me as we speak:)

In the interest of clarity...

Ric
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/22 21:12:39 (permalink)
    Using 6 not the others. Why are we doing this? I was addressing what he said he uses.

Best
    John
    OzziesFurHat
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/22 21:22:12 (permalink)
    "John offered you several options AND suggested there are even more options...

That's weird. "

John rightly pointed out I had not put enough info in the topic, so i fixed it, giving him credit with a smile, I don't know if to you that is calling him out as you say, but I don't think so...:) relax please, this is not the cubase forum and just because i have 20 posts does not mean i am a newbie or an idiot my friend and thanks John it may be its time to install 7 now
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/22 21:25:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: OzziesFurHat

"John offered you several options AND suggested there are even more options...

That's weird. "

John rightly pointed out I had not put enough info in the topic, so i fixed it, giving him credit with a smile, I don't know if to you that is calling him out as you say, but I don't think so...:) relax please, this is not the cubase forum and just because i have 20 posts does not mean i am a newbie or an idiot my friend and thanks John it may be its time to install 7 now

Well, If I made a mistake I apologize. I felt that it seemed you were acting rudely. How's that for relaxed?

best regards,
    mike

brammer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 819
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/22 21:29:11 (permalink)
    Ozzie

So when we all have 9 and we're talking about stuff you wish you had, your conclusion will be it's time to go to 8???

Not taking a shot - just wondering why you'll (seemingly) be one version behind.

Why not install 8??

And.... I haven't had a crash since I installed 8, so stability isn't an issue as I see it

i7-930, 12 gigs RAM, Gigabyte UD3, Geforce 960 
    Win10 Pro 64, Sonar Platinum  
    M-Audio Profire 2626, Mackie Control Pro,
    Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro, 
    Music Labs Guitars, TH2, Guitar Rig 5, Superior Drummer 2.2,
    EZ Drummer, Kontakt 5, Melodyne 2.0 64 bit
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/22 21:30:04 (permalink)
    John it may be its time to install 7 now

Not if you have 8! LOL. In fairness to Mike I got the same vibe as he in this and I thank him for stepping in. It seems we both, Mike and I got it wrong. That is really a good thing. I want to welcome you to the forum Ozzie. Its sometimes hard to read the real meaning behind the writing. Each time we post we run the risk of being misunderstood. Me more then most.

Best
    John
    OzziesFurHat
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/22 21:48:20 (permalink)
    No no, sorry John and Mike if it seemed that way, I just felt you were right that I needed to expand what I meant in the title, and was my way of acknowledging your point. The reason I have been on 6.2 is I had a couple years of serious health issues and was working my way back into things and did not want to install a new version until I got up to speed again and unfortunately I had a few bad health months over the last year so it has taken me a lot longer to get solid again than I hoped it would. But thanks for pointing out that it might be part of the issue holding the work flow back at this point, as soon as I finish up a couple things I am in the middle of I will take the plunge into 7 and 8, should be interesting.
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/22 21:56:55 (permalink)
    Man you have a lot on your plate. Thanks for getting back on this. I hope all turns out well for you. I don't know if I could deal with two versions at the same time but it sure would be fun.

Best
    John
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/22 22:52:14 (permalink)
    Ozzie,

If you have a wheel on your mouse, try spinning it in Sonar. You may be in for a surprise.

Then try the shift-wheel spin.

Then try another modifier with wheel spin, like alt or control.

Sonar has many neat tricks like this -- much easier to work with than Cubase. I was a Cubase 3 SX user too, because I thought it integrated better with my Yamaha Motif/mlan synths. But after customizing Sonar to my needs using the toolbars, the keyboard shortcuts, the menus, and the views, I'll never return. Sonar's so much easier to use!

--kwgm
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/22 23:07:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kwgm

Ozzie,

If you have a wheel on your mouse, try spinning it in Sonar. You may be in for a surprise.

Sonar has many neat tricks like this -- much easier to work with than Cubase. I was a Cubase 3 SX user too, because I thought it integrated better with my Yamaha Motif/mlan synths. But after customizing Sonar to my needs using the toolbars, the keyboard shortcuts, the menus, and the views, I'll never return. Sonar's so much easier to use!

That's right! Those are all really nice features I use a lot in SONAR.

Okay dokey! I'm off to spin a few more tracks hehehehe

John
    Forum Host
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/22 23:28:17 (permalink)
    f you have a wheel on your mouse, try spinning it in Sonar. You may be in for a surprise.

Isn't that in 7 though? I thought it was first in 7 if not its been a while that I used 6.

Best
    John
    OzziesFurHat
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/23 11:11:52 (permalink)
    I appreciate all of your help, and yes I did know about and am using the mouse wheel w / modifier keys but I am

thinking maybe if I explain better the way I work and why it is an issue for me, maybe there is an aspect of sonar

that I have overlooked or perhaps I need a certain type of programmable mouse someone else uses or knows of.

Ok here goes, I am not the best at explaining things so please try to overlook that. I am primarily a guitar / muti

stringed player i.e. mandolin bass acoustic electric, you get it:) So when I am recording I like to work as fast as I

can

with new riffs or one that's not right in the pocket needing to be replaced. So I have the mouse at my right hand

along with Alphatrack and I am working of course in the track view. So I need to fairly often zoom into a zero

crossing point before the area I want to split, generally select the clip to the right not left after split and delete it

zoom back out to a reasonable maybe 20 measure size view back up a couple of measures from split point and

resume recording.

So in cubase I could drag down in timeline with one hand on the mouse (that is very important for me, not having

to have the keyboard with other hand doing shift or alt or cntrl keys) to zoom, split, cut clip drag up in timeline and

be done, all very quickly, you see? So if that clears up what and why I am needing please let me know if I am

overlooking an aspect of Sonar or a new wireless mouse that would help.
    oz
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/23 11:26:31 (permalink)
    I don't have solution for you Ozzie, but it seems like your are trying to make your right hand an engineer while leaving the left hand as a musician.

It's the great difficulty of self recording.

I also find it fascinating that you are primarily a string player who was hip enough to start with Cakewalk Dos 1.0... I'm a stings player too and I couldn't have imagined what it was that cakewalk did until Pro Audio 6 came out. I'm still playing catchup with MIDI.

In any event I hope you find a workable solution.

If I was you I'd change my subject line to "looking for zoom options in SONAR's track view" to get the attention of someone who has the answers you need.

best regards,
    mike

OzziesFurHat
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/23 11:36:26 (permalink)
    Thanks Mike:) I have been using midi since the DX7 came out and midi drums since they came out with midi sequencers time coded to tape (yes there were tape machines one upon a time hehe ) track with smpte, so the minute i saw a program in dos (seems like it might have been ad in keyboard mag at the back in the ads section as i recall and Greg answered the phone back then hihi) that would allow for more control and better timing I was on it!:)
    oz
    ericzang
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/23 12:01:31 (permalink)
    Despite the built in mouse wheel support in sonar, I still prefer to use a utility that converts the mouse wheel into a specified key stroke. I have the wheel assigned to ctrl-left and ctrl-right. This responds with a zoom behavior similar to sound forge, and if I understand you right, may solve your problem. This is one such program ($15):

http://www.ardamax.com/mwc/

perhaps there are others

http://www.ericzang.com
    "Night Music of the Rainforest" now available for download
    jb
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2020
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/23 14:24:54 (permalink)
    So I need to fairly often zoom into a zero

crossing point before the area I want to split, generally select the clip to the right not left after split and delete it

zoom back out to a reasonable maybe 20 measure size view back up a couple of measures from split point and

resume recording.

Thumb on the CTRL button on the lower right of the keyboard, fingers on the arrow keys, left, right, up, down. Look ma, one hand zoom!

Celeron 300A o/c 450, SBLive, Win98SE
    OzziesFurHat
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/23 16:54:07 (permalink)
    ericzang,
    thank you i will chk it out
    Saintom
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1749
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/23 17:22:27 (permalink)
    I also add with the Mouse Wheel quick zoom there are different options in the "Zoom Tool" button drop down menu. Different combination's yield different zooms depending on, Key stroke, cursor position and/or now time.

There are many ways to zoom

Tom

Sometimes we see the light, Sometimes we stare at the light, and wonder why it is so bright...
    OzziesFurHat
    RE: Cubase 2008/10/25 02:57:54 (permalink)
    I got a Rocketfish mouse at best buy with 2 programmable buttons on it and feels like it may solve things, one set to ALT, one to Enter, and its getting much faster now the editing routine so thanks for all the help guys:) Although I had to exclude sonar in its new fancy auto scrolling setting in its software to get the right control for the time line but its working good now, incase anyone else is looking for the same thing in the future here.
    oz
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1