Mid Side

Author
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
2008/10/23 01:08:27 (permalink)

Mid Side

Anyone play with Mid-Side processing on the mix? I just discovered how to do this with the new channel tool and its rather a neat tool.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.

28 Replies Related Threads

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: Mid Side 2008/11/04 10:12:56 (permalink)
    I've been trying to use the Sonitus Phase center-surround presets, varying phase angles, and such to "arbitrarily" increase ambience for vocals and guitar tracks. Sonitus Phase only works for stereo tracks.

Additionally, I hope to somehow learn Mid-Side miking and mixing techniques for vocals. I may have to buy a mixer but hope to learn it the right way in Sonar 7/8 ... with my AKG 414 figure-8 setting.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: Mid Side 2008/11/04 11:13:33 (permalink)
    I want to try this technique out as well

My only half decent mic is an AT4033 which doesn't have any switchable patterns.

Would an SM58 work? Is it an Omni? Can't remember the spec.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Mid Side 2008/11/04 11:54:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bristol_Jonesey

My only half decent mic is an AT4033 which doesn't have any switchable patterns.

No, the SM58 is not an Omni. There are very few Omni dynamic mics on the market. The Shure VP64A and ElectroVoice 635 interview mics are Omni.
    Philip
    RE: Mid Side 2008/11/04 23:56:44 (permalink)
    I just received S8:

To be fair: Channel -Tools VST, a new VST for the Mid Side recording technique, now gives crystal clear info and technique for M-S Recording and phasing of waveforms (much easier than Sonitus Phase and Voxengo OverTones). This is a plus for Sonar 8: Channel-Tools is 'God-send' for me.

I've been having repeated dreams about getting the M-S Miking/mixing technique operational, and to show it off with vox hooks and such. (E.g., panning wide during hooks and narrowing center for verses ... Yee-ow

But as Frank stated you must have a omni (figure-8 'Side') mic (like the AKG C414B) operational.

If/when I get this working right, Lord-willing, I'll report.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Bristol_Jonesey
    RE: Mid Side 2008/11/05 06:40:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey

ORIGINAL: Bristol_Jonesey

No, the SM58 is not an Omni. There are very few Omni dynamic mics on the market. The Shure VP64A and ElectroVoice 635 interview mics are Omni.

Thanks Frank - something else to go on the wishlist

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Philip
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2008/11/05 09:09:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Philip

I just received S8:

To be fair: Channel -Tools VST, a new VST for the Mid Side recording technique, now gives crystal clear info and technique for M-S Recording and phasing of waveforms (much easier than Sonitus Phase and Voxengo OverTones). This is a plus for Sonar 8: Channel-Tools is 'God-send' for me.

I've been having repeated dreams about getting the M-S Miking/mixing technique operational, and to show it off with vox hooks and such. (E.g., panning wide during hooks and narrowing center for verses ... Yee-ow

But as Frank stated you must have a omni (figure-8 'Side') mic (like the AKG C414B) operational.

If/when I get this working right, Lord-willing, I'll report.

Channel

OK, it works, finally. The mics have to be close to each other (vertically).
    Channel-Tools VST plugin OUT-Monitor gives you a visual of LT and RT as does the output bus (its waveform preview - On):

Interesting Key Results:
    1) You can somewhat see the LT channel sticking-up on your (RT channel) waveform ... and the RT channel sticking-down on the same (RT channel) waveform.
    2) Covering one side of the figure-8 mic does not seem to help 'enhance' the other side (I think you're covering the inverse polarity that's used in the algorhythm)
    3) The cardiod mid-mic must be present and inbetween the figure-8 field ... close to center.
    4) Results are not audibly nor visually that dramatic
    5) You will have to adjust the mid-gains and side-gains for slight improvements
    6) Don't expect pure LT and RT panning: the panned results equate to about 30% LT and 30% RT (based on 'my ears' and visuals)

IOWs (Tentative Conclusions):
    This is too complex (for 90% of us).
    Your 'LT' Channel will always bleed to your 'RT' using this technique. You probably CAN NOT get a widened pan effect because the mid-mic must always be present ... and the figure-8 mic also bleeds LT and RT. Its better to buy the M-S Mic(s) pre-built into a solid configuration. I wouldn't play much with this at home.
    (Room) Ambience alone is an advantage using this technique. You can angle the phases and such to help (ambience).
    Us rock-stars and effects-mongers will probably not use this technique for chorus panning.
    We'd probably prefer to use 2 cardiod vocal mics angled (and phase tested) for our particular vocal booths.

Hope this helps.

Philip  

Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2008/12/09 23:40:33 (permalink)
    Just wondering... Can you do mid-side recording of an acoustic guitar at the same time you are recording a vocal with a separate mic?

IOW...

Guitar: Figure 8 and Cardioid
    Vocal: Cardioid
    post edited by Dave King - 2008/12/09 23:43:03

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

macflooze
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 544
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2008/12/10 00:29:11 (permalink)
    For anyone that's interested, I've been playing with M/S techniques for mastering tracks.
    sample_1.mp3
    sample_2.mp3
    These are a couple of brief excerpts from a live show I recorded in the summer. Both are the same basic Sonar stereo export mix, sample 1 is 'mastered' with all the normal tools (Ozone 3, Boost 11), sample 2 using M/s to gain access to the center (mono) and LR (stereo) information in the track and treating each set of information in different ways to acheive a very different sound from the same basic track.

I'm having a lot of fun, and it's been a bit of an eye (ear?) opener as to how the different sets of information extracted by M/S processing can be treated.

I'll elaborate if there's any interest.

Pmac
    ToneZone

Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe - Dmitry Orlov
    Philip
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2008/12/10 12:03:46 (permalink)
    Paul -- I'm interested in your pleasure with the thing. I've had no little to no joy with M/S Miking. Its time consuming and exacting against other 'inspirations' for my level.

Dave -- I see no problem with that; but why? Your acoustic may be better with one mic at the neck and another at the box-hole ... testing for phase and combfiltering. Thats 4 mic signals and you'd also worry about phase issues between the 2 systems (assuming you're recording at the same time).

OTOH: If you've actually experimented with the head-ache of MS technique and overcome the learning curve; some use it alone for Guitar/Vocal. That is a reasonable standard, methinks.

The guitar would share the side mic (2-sided figure-8 mic) room ambiance with minimal phase issues.

I'd FORGET the MS technique (for recording):
    1) You will not be able to hard-pan the side signals 100% LT/RT for popular 15-30ms delay (thickening) effects. IOWs, you can forget performing any Haas tricks and pan laws using the MS technique ... you're stuck with uncontrollable sound *bleeding* (ambiance) of the 2 sides (i.e., figure-8 did not yield pure mono-fiable LT and RT channels in my experiments).
    2) Mixing engineers I've read pretty much handwave MS technique. Its not in anyone's venue ... at all. IIRC, mixing engineers never talk MS technique as the thing to do.
    3) MS technique is for *simplicity* of recording church choirs and school plays. My IQ is about 109; Save yourself a big head-ache if you're like me. Don't use it.

EDIT:
    Paul -- I've heard your samples and am convinced you enriched the mix drastically. Wow! Please elaborate on what you're doing! Are you using S8 Channel tool to do this?
    post edited by Philip - 2008/12/10 12:10:05

Philip  

Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2008/12/10 12:22:53 (permalink)
    The guy in this video: http://revver.com/video/895784/home-made-hit-show-tv-011-tomas-de-camino-beck/ gets some great results using the midside technique. This is what has inspired me to give it a whirl.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2008/12/10 12:33:16 (permalink)
    FWIW some of the cheap new ribbon mics might make a great starter figure 8 mic for the "sides".

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2008/12/10 12:38:59 (permalink)
    FWIW some of the cheap new ribbon mics might make a great starter figure 8 mic for the "sides".

Qwerty69
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1435
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2008/12/12 04:22:33 (permalink)
    I don't see what the big fuss is about MS mic'ing... It isn't that hard to do - throw up your figure 8 mic and plonk a cardioid directly on top of it. Record two channels worth of the figure 8 mic, (or clone it after the fact), and flip the phase on one of the channels. Gang the volume controls of the two figure 8 mic tracks together and bring them up at the same time to widen the stereo image. Drop 'em back to decrease it.

The channel tools plugin just makes this an easier process.

What I think the real sentiment was in the first post from Middleman and answered by macflooze was in using the channel tools plugin after a mix has been created as a creative mastering tool to fiddle with the stereo image. This is a different beast entirely than a MS mic'ing technique on a sound source, (and an extremely interesting technique that I will be playing with in the future...).

To say that no "real" engineer uses MS anymore is simply incorrect. MS techniques are very, very useful for capturing 100% mono compatible, pristine stereo recordings of a sound source in a specific acoustic space. If you don't have a good sounding room then sure, it ain't going to add much to your sound apart from shining a spotlight on your crappy acoustics, but if you do have a good sounding room - or even a large living room with some nice wooden floors and a few well placed drapes or wall-hangings - then it is a really cool technique to add some depth to your recordings. I use it a lot on sparse acoustic guitar tunes and love it to death.

Here endeth the rant.

Q.
    post edited by Qwerty69 - 2008/12/12 04:24:36
    johnreelsound
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2008/12/12 06:42:37 (permalink)
    There is a short video and a load of usefull info on Mid/Side at http://www.recording-microphones.co.uk/Mid-Side-stereo.shtml

john
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2008/12/13 12:58:51 (permalink)
    the mics do have to be as close as possible. it's also important to remember that the actual diaphragms need to be aligned with respect to the source to minimize phase, not just the "end" of the mic, since that is the point where the sound actually gets recorded. so in an XY approach the two mics will end up on top of each other to get the best alignment.

qwerty makes a good point about room sound - since the whole point of mid/side is to capture room ambiance (the additional depth), if your room sound sucks your recordings will sound worse than if they were done direct. i use XY to get a wider sound and it doesn't emphasize the (nasty-sounding) room quite as much (since it's not as off-axis as the MS technique) but it's also not totally mono compatible either, although it runs rings around cloned tracks. so if you're looking for a wider sound XY might be for you and it's easier than MS to set up.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Middleman
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2008/12/14 23:32:18 (permalink)
    Wow, this thread took on a life of its own weeks after I posted.

The original intent was to play with the Sonar Channel Tool and I have. I built a bussing system which creates a mid/side split to the mix and then applies effects and EQ different on the sides. In fact I went a little beyond that and created a secondary buss structure for front to back as well. Anything on the back buss gets varying degrees of a room verb. Only the vocal and featured instruments run in the front buss which is drier sounding.

Overall I can vary the width and depth of the mix in ways, prior to the Channel Tool, I was not able to do. Of course you have to watch things getting too out of phase so I check with my monitoring mono switch to make sure things don't get too out of hand.

Fun stuff.

Creator
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2008/12/23 11:05:31 (permalink)
    Okay, a few notes on M-S:

Omni Mics: Try the Rode NT-2A, which is a large diaphragm condenser mic with variable pattern for under $500. Some of the lower end ribbons might work, but you have to be careful about picking the right one. Ribbons from AEA and Royer are great but more expensive. In most cases, a pre-amp with lower noise and higher gain is required for a ribbon than a condenser.

Channel Tools vs. others: I haven't had a chance to use channel tools yet but unless the "angle" aspect does something unexpected, you can acquire similar results with a combination of other plug-ins such as Voxengo MSED (one of my favorite MS tools), the free stereo tool from Flux and Kelly's Stereo Tools. The latter is the one that allows the requisite panning aspect.

Channel Tools vs. payware: Unless the "angle" aspect of Channel Tools does something special the it, like so many other I audition for the purpose, can be greatly improved upon by using either Sonalksis Stereo Tools or the (very different beast entirely) Algorithmix/Bob Katz KStereo. Now, KStereo is too subtle for me in terms of the effect (which is usually different from MS, designed to extract room ambience and unique but works with MS) but Sonalksis Stereo Tools lets you use MS in concert with the best widener I have encountered anywhere.
    macflooze
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2009/01/04 14:23:40 (permalink)
    Philip -

So sorry, I forgot about this thread.
    Talking about M/S mastering techniques - the secret is using Voxengo's MSED tool to separate out and independently treat the center track and the L+R stereo tracks as three separate tracks in Sonar.

This means bouncing the original track to tracks twice.
    Put the original stereo file in a stereo track in Sonar.
    Insert MSED in the FX bin.
    Bounce your original stereo file thru the MSED to a new mono track, using the center setting in MSED at -6db, with the side control set to -∞

Bounce your original stereo file thru MSED to split mono to two additional mono tracks using the center setting in MSED at -∞, with the side control set to -6db.

Now you have four tracks in Sonar -
    the original stereo,
    one center mono Mid, panned to mid
    one Left Side, panned hard L
    one Right side, panned hard R

Right away you can play with the widening effects, balancing the mid level against the sides, playing with the pan % in the sides, mixing in some of the original stereo track, etc.

BUT THERE'S MORE....
    you can also independently treat the center track, with limiting, compression, thickening, bass enhancement, anything you want, without affecting the Side tracks.

Since the center track usually contains all the important 'core' stuff - in rock & pop at least - kik, snare, vocal, bass - this means you have a chance to really work on this - almost like a separate 'stem' at mastering.

With the side tracks - they usually benefit from treatments which add 'air' or 'space', maybe some harmonic sythesis à la Ozone or BBE, or multiband compression emphasising the 'sparkle'. Be aware that any stereo effects, such as wide 'verbs or leslie spkr FX will really jump out at this point, you may want to remix the track to de-emphasise these.

post edited by macflooze - 2009/01/04 14:53:15

Pmac
    ToneZone

Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe - Dmitry Orlov
    Middleman
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2009/01/04 15:21:09 (permalink)
    Macfooze, this is exactly what I am doing with the channel tool but in real time. I do like the way you have broken things out to files and that may get a bit more width ability. I will have to play with your method. Thanks for posting this.

Creator
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2009/01/04 17:24:46 (permalink)
    I would just like to point out that if you switch it out of "inline" mode, then you can accomplish the same thing, in realtime, by using appropriate bus routing (and having those output to another bus with the MSED set to decode). Just another option for those that don't like bouncing to tracks and something to keep in mind, since the "inline" mode was really just designed for people that wanted to alter the balance between M and S without doing separate processing on each.
    macflooze
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2009/01/04 17:53:16 (permalink)
    Creator - bit puzzled - I'm presuming you mean 1 bus for center and one bus for sides - don't see how to break out the center channel from the sides in real time - can you give routing example? - Ta!

Pmac
    ToneZone

Creator
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2009/01/04 18:54:51 (permalink)
    - Original Track: has Voxengo MSED set to "Encoder" mode. Now M/S gets switched to L/R. So the left channel of the output is "mid" channel and the right channel of the output is the "side" channel.
    - Mid Buss: From the original track, create a send that goes to the "Mid Buss". Make sure that the send to this buss is panned hard left and that the output of the buss is panned hard left as well.
    - Side Buss: From the original track, create a send that goes to the "Side Buss". Make sure that the send to this buss is panned hard right and that the output of the buss is panned hard right as well.
    MS Decoder Buss: Set the "Mid Buss" and "Side Buss" to output to this buss and make sure the first plug-in insert is Voxengo MSED. Set the plug-in to "Decoder" mode.

This allows you to EQ, process, etc. the mid and side individually without having to render tracks in between. Watch out for volume differences caused by panning laws.
    macflooze
    RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2009/01/04 19:33:37 (permalink)
    Got it. Kewl - and creative!

Pmac
    ToneZone

Bristol_Jonesey
    Re: RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2011/03/15 07:25:29 (permalink)
    I'm sorry to drag this one back up from the mists of time, but in Creator's example above, when he splits out his mid & side channels, do these then get routed directly to the mid & side buss?

I understand the example posted by macflooze perfectly, but creator's is leaving me scratching my head a bit, though this is definitely the way to go for me, as I don't really want to start bouncing my stereo wav down to split mono if it can be done just through routing.
    post edited by Bristol_Jonesey - 2011/03/15 07:30:45

Creator
    Re: RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2011/03/15 09:54:39 (permalink)
    Yes, in my example it goes straight from the MSED plug-in (which splits the signal) to the respective busses for mid and side. Then each of those goes back to another bus (with a second instance of MSED) where they get combined.

The other details just have to do with how you accomplish that.

EDIT: To clarify, when I say "combined" above, I mean that the results get encoded back out to the stereo output. Unless you do that, it all sounds really odd.
    post edited by Creator - 2011/03/15 09:58:42
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re: RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2011/03/15 10:04:36 (permalink)
    Ah! The man himself!!

Thanks for that - might have a go at this tonight then.

What do you do with the actual output of the orignal stereo track?

Thanks for commenting.

Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re: RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2011/03/21 15:33:14 (permalink)
    There's a couple of good mid/side tips in here too: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2147832

Child
    tunekicker
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1261
    Re: RE: Mid Side Miking Technique 2011/03/25 00:00:17 (permalink)
    My favorite uses for mid-side in the mix/master:

Drum compression- this makes it much easier to compress the kick and snare in the center without having the cymbals "pump" with each hit

Multiband compression- similar to my reasons for drum compression in mid-side, you can use a multi-band compressor in mid-side before your limiter when mastering to get higher gain and pumping only where/how much you want

Mastering- fixing it in the master. I've found that with Mid-Side, linear phase EQ, and transient designer, I can isolate a signal that I want to add more processing to. Say one song on an album has noticeably less reverb on the vocals and seems out of character compared to the rest of them. Using this method I can add reverb to the vocals with very little affect to anything else.

Peace,

Tunes
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1