feedback needed OT

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
sandman5000
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 882
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 01:53:36 (permalink)
I'll even go one better and review the freaking site (joke on the freaking part ).

Well, aside from the mentioned sound, I find the site a little hard to follow. Not impossible at all if you take the time, but not immediately attention grabbing or pleasurable on my eyes.

The improvements I would suggest are:
the links on the top (home, contact us, etc..,) seem like they should be bigger to me. Also maybe some color differentiation or boxes. It's a little dry and boring. Anyway, some attention to that area would help, I think.

Also, the pics themselves (of the computers) should act as hyper-links.

There is something about the layout too that could be better. How, I couldn't really say unless I was moving things around myself and seeing how it worked. Maybe it's the text fonts.

But I really like the banner on top. I don't think it's too big and I like the animation and 3-d look.

papa2004
Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6475
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 02:29:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sandman5000

Whatever. This is a troll thread, just like you said in the very first sentence of this thread. But hey, since I'm not the police, feel free to disrespect Cakewalk and the people that come to the Sonar forum to discuss Sonar.

BTW-there really are way better places for this type of feedback.

WHOA! Sandman, you're way off base.

First of all, I've not seen any disrespect on this thread except yours. What the hell does this thread have to do with "disrespecting Cakewalk.."? Do you post similar replies to those who start threads about sporting events or "what's the best guitar"?

Secondly, Scott is a contributor of valuable information to these forums. I have never read a post from him that I considered to be "advertising" his services. I could easily "name names" of some "veteran" forum members who tout their products/services much more blatantly than you could ever accuse Scott of doing.

Lighten up a bit or search the forums looking for the "real" trolls--you know the ones I'm talking about (or don't you?)...

Regards,
Papa
sandman5000
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 02:40:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: papa2004

Lighten up a bit

did you miss my last two posts?
Already done!
papa2004
Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6475
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 03:14:44 (permalink)
I did miss your last posts...I was walking the puppy between typing sentences...

Regards,
Papa
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
RE: feedback needed OT 2008/10/24 03:40:17 (permalink)
Very nice looking websites, both of them. I get a headache from your forum avatar though. Very good presentation of your products and they seem to be very professionaly speced. If you start looking for things to do with your site to bring in more business, I'm sure the arguement will never stop.

Craig DuBuc
Andy C
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1272
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 07:20:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jcschild

Hey Andy,
after going thru the first dozen or so that page is completely wrong...
all the errors it says are there are not..LOL

Thats pretty f*ckin funny ! Your saying that the official W3 validator is wrong and your code is not ! Now I've spent a couple of hours with your code and got the number of errors from 300+ down to 14. I can't go any further because the code is so badly written using tables that the fixing the errors needs tracking down where tables start and stop. So on top of the validation errors we have:

1: javascript burried in the code, big no-no for maintainablity
2: Tables used for layout, see http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.1 paragraph 6
3: Embeded appearance instructions (such as font) rather than correct use of CSS

To be frank if you build your machines to the same standard as you write your code then I wouldn't go near one.

Andy
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 07:29:23 (permalink)
To be frank Andy,

W3C isn't the big kid on the block you are making it out to be.

The "market" over ran the ivory tower a long time ago.

best regards,
mike

edit to add: just for grins check this out:

validate this forum page

I guess you'll be migrating to Reaper? ;-0

post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/10/24 07:40:29

thebiglongy
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 502
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 07:42:49 (permalink)
Cant believe the trolling thats going on in this thread....
Funny how the only person that finds it disrespectful is yourself mr sandman.
Yet every other person in this thread is willing to help out and offer some opinions as to the site, mainly down to the fact that scott has helped many others on this forum in the past.
If the cakewalk team were that bothered by it then they would have warned or moved it back when it first started...obviously that is not an issue so why bother maintaining your stance when it is only you who seems dead set of filling the thread full of meaningless posts?

Ok you kinda redeemed yourself in previous couple of posts but tbh, it doesn't make up for the fact that you were viewed by many on here as a complete penis.

As for andy ...
your myspace page has 351 errors with 346 warning(s)
your soundclick page has 468 Errors, 246 warning(s)

With regards to your site mate, i'll edit this post later as i now have to head off to work...ciao.
post edited by thebiglongy - 2008/10/24 07:50:18
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 08:15:45 (permalink)
Hey, if you really want to have fun debating with those who try to validate validation show them this test:

Take the page source produced by the link I provided above. (or any page you want to validate) In other words, take the page source of the actual page produced by that W3.org server side validator application.

Take that page source and copy and paste it into the direct input tab at: http://validator.w3.org/

For "whatever" reason, the server will not process the actual link to the page in a recursive routine, so you have to use the Page Source - select all - copy - paste protocol I'm describing.

The page created BY w3.org has 160 ERRORS.

It might be a good idea to climb down from the ivory tower. :-)

Having said all that... I'm all for universal accessibility... I just don't see any reason to act like the white knight when this is a ubiquitous problem and these concerns should be prioritized for pressing needs like screen reader access to public library collections for the vision impaired rather than harassing a vendor who probably isn't selling too many video edit suites to access impaired citizens.

all the best,
mike

Andy C
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 09:33:54 (permalink)
Having said all that... I'm all for universal accessibility... I just don't see any reason to act like the white knight when this is a ubiquitous problem and these concerns should be prioritized for pressing needs like screen reader access to public library collections for the vision impaired rather than harassing a vendor who probably isn't selling too many video edit suites to access impaired citizens.

Well I was only trying to be helpfull. I mean, it only took me about an hour to clean upi the guys code (mostly) and if he doesn't want to do then fine and dandy.

Andy
jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 09:53:23 (permalink)
guys,
sandman has coalesed so please rather than bash him lets bash my sites please.

Andy,
the first 12 "errors" are not errors

the supposed missing close tags are there....

i didnt go past that many, only thing it found i agree with (in the first 12) is the use of "/>"
(left from a former employee who used to help with website stuff.)

i didnt ask for code help i asked for ideas about navigation and looks. however i would love someone to clean up my code...
i get tired of working, like to result only to find Opera or Mozilla didnt like the code..

i give to this forum all the time, i was asking for some help in return.

Sandman

thank you i agree any pic should be a link. i didnt do it in the past due to the blue/purple boarder HLs create however i found how to stop it.

and i have been playing with the color of the nav menu.
see this page for opinions

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/v4hd.cfm
notice the color change on mouse over. (green 2nd layer nav)
post edited by jcschild - 2008/10/24 09:59:14

Scott
ADK
Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
Andy C
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 10:18:48 (permalink)
Andy, the first 12 "errors" are not errors the supposed missing close tags are there....

Hi Scott, As I say, I'm only trying to help, I know you didn't ask for code help, but I can't help myself !

Here's some clues as to why theses are errors then I'll try and shut up !

Line 5, Column 56: end tag for "link" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified.
<link rel="STYLESHEET" type="text/css" href="adkpa.css">

You need to end the line with "/>"

Line 10, Column 6: end tag for "head" which is not finished.
</head>

The Head section of the code must have a <title> attribute in otherwise it's not complete

Line 16, Column 49: there is no attribute "height".
…gn="top"><table width="955px" height="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpa

You're not allowed to have an height attribute in a table tag

Line 20, Column 58: there is no attribute "onChange".
<select class="dropStyle" name="menu1" onChange="jump(this.value)">

xhtml transitional is case sensitive (a lot of the errors in the document are caused by this) onChange needs to be onchange

Line 27, Column 22: end tag for element "form" which is not open.
</form>

You have a </form> statement but no <form> statement because this drop down list (the top one which picks video, proaudio or gaming) is a javascript select you don't need the form or /form for it to work.

You also have a lot of javascipt statements which say <SCRIPT LANGUAGE = 'JAVASCRIPT' > these need to be <script type="text/javaScript">

I hope thats helpful, it was meant to be !

Andy
I'm sure someone wil be along any minute now to tell me I'm wrong.

ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 10:26:44 (permalink)
Scott!!!

i think your websites were pretty good, when it comes to navigation. Pictures are a pluss and can you click them so a bigger version pops up, then even better

I don't know if anyone has said it before because I didn't really feel like reading all the arguing here. However, the banner thingy on top with the sound to it, I absolutely hated that. I've never liked websites that makes a lot of music/noice unless it's a band website they can get away with it. In my opinnion anyway. Other than that, the sites were great. All I have to say

... and your company there looks pretty cool.

Marius

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
jcschild
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 11:38:23 (permalink)
thanks andy! isee now..

marius sound and flash now gone! thanks

Scott
ADK
Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 12:03:58 (permalink)

thanks andy! isee now..

Hi Scott!

I haven't read the whole thread but; the "FLASH Intro" at the Video-site is the best part?
Are going to take it away? That's crazy, and the man that made it have surely said the same already?

If the problem is just all about the “sound playing” have default “SOUND OFF “and add a button to get SOUND!

Just my two cents anyway...

Anyway have a nice weekend Scott. Do as you like!
The main thing is still navigation and that should always been clean and fast as it is already now.
Navigation = Great that you have icons on all products, it gets faster to navigate when you can see pictures of it; instead of text!

Regards
Freddie
post edited by Freddie H - 2008/10/24 12:12:09
ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 12:08:17 (permalink)

No Worries Scott.

But only remove it if you agree, tho. The flash it self was pretty good, I just didn't like that it had sound

Good luck building it

Marius

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
sandman5000
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 12:21:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thebiglongy
it is only you who seems dead set of filling the thread full of meaningless posts?

Ok you kinda redeemed yourself in previous couple of posts but tbh, it doesn't make up for the fact that you were viewed by many on here as a complete penis.

ummm, your post was pretty meaningless too....
as far as being a penis.....ehh sure, why not. but at least I gave up my crusade and joined the party. what more do you want? or do you have penis on the brain? can't help you there.....

And Scott, I like the green, but when you go to the sub links, it turns white and gets jumbled with the text on the page a bit. Do you see what i mean? And I would still like the boxes themselves to be either bigger or somehow more differentiated. And since it is all about your computers, I would put the computers part on top of the text. As it is, I had to scroll to see the computers on the bottom. And you are all about the computers right? So that should be what the site is about too. Just IMHO, of course.
sandman5000
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 12:45:58 (permalink)
Actually Scott, in all honesty, I think your site is really boring and dry. Not being a penis or anything. The content is there so it's really a matter of jazzing it up. I realize this is your competition, but have a look at this site:

http://www.audeum.com/

Notice the colors, the fonts, the navigation and the layout. All very dynamic and exciting. I would say, for me, your site looks like I'm going to be ordering parts for something industrial or like your machines are for factory use. While the audeum site looks more like something musicians would be more involved with. More rock and roll. No offense intended. Just giving the feedback....
AndyW
Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2956
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 13:21:57 (permalink)

Actually Scott, in all honesty, I think your site is really boring and dry. Not being a penis or anything. The content is there so it's really a matter of jazzing it up. I realize this is your competition, but have a look at this site:

Notice the colors, the fonts, the navigation and the layout. All very dynamic and exciting. I would say, for me, your site looks like I'm going to be ordering parts for something industrial or like your machines are for factory use. While the audeum site looks more like something musicians would be more involved with. More rock and roll. No offense intended. Just giving the feedback....

I'm really not doing this to be contrarian...but...I don't agree. Flashy sites make me think it's more about the marketing than the product. Newegg vs Alienware for example. I agree with most of the other suggestions in this thread about simplifying and more pictures and pictures having links...but I always lean toward the practical vice the flashy. Obviously others will disagree. Just my .02.

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
jcschild
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 13:38:15 (permalink)

looks more like a gaming website the header part (should have seen his older one ugly) much better now.

we have had the black background and the "bubble blocks" (eased edges in tables)
and all i heard was "looks like a gmaing site not a professional site.

go to ANY large company, Dell, Sweetwater, HP, Intel etc etc no one has a black background

i like the color change on the nav menu

see our gaming site for that www.adkgaming.com

again thanks for the comments

Scott
ADK
sandman5000
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 13:48:15 (permalink)

looks more like a gaming website the header part (should have seen his older one ugly) much better now.

we have had the black background and the "bubble blocks" (eased edges in tables)
and all i heard was "looks like a gmaing site not a professional site.

go to ANY large company, Dell, Sweetwater, HP, Intel etc etc no one has a black background

i like the color change on the nav menu

see our gaming site for that www.adkgaming.com

again thanks for the comments

I like the gaming site nav/header a lot better! To me the audeum site looks way more professional. And the Alien ware vrs newegg is a good example. the newegg one is so boring! practical, but boring. It's funny but I seem to be on the opposite side of the way people around here think. maybe I should switch to cubase on a mac!

oh well, just my opinions anyway. hope you get it all sorted out scott.
Freddie H
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 13:52:09 (permalink)

www.adkgaming.com

I like the gaming site nav/header a lot better! To me the audeum site looks way more professional...................

oh well, just my opinions anyway. hope you get it all sorted out scott.

+1
Freddie H
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 14:12:18 (permalink)

not a professional site.

So let say if Dell, Sweetwater, HP and Intel get a moderna layout and start using black background, then it's suddenly okay & professional to use it????

?

Like Picasso and Van Gogh ask anyone what kind of paintings they should make?

I think its another way around! Real Artists & Professionals are not afraid making new things....
Amateurs making "look a like" & replika

Professional? No black background? This IS Professional!!!!!!!!!! U can't get it more Professional! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
http://v5.2advanced.com/index.php

I like it as it is already Scott, but wouldn't mind if you jazz it up a little bit!

Regards
Freddie

post edited by Freddie H - 2008/10/24 14:20:50
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 15:16:33 (permalink)
Scott, I navigated the audio site quite easily, it felt comfortable to browse and was similar to other sites I use (Dolphinmusic for example)

So..no problems here!
post edited by jamesg1213 - 2008/10/24 15:24:04

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
jcschild
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 15:22:44 (permalink)
LOL i love 2advanced stuff they have always been who i drooled after. got about 30-50K?
its about what it takes to hire them.

and after that the fact remains while i would think it cool (still a gamer at heart) and a few others would as well, its still not professional.

Boxxtech (15 mil a yr) had a killer flash animation on thier site. its now gone.

alienware is like the only professional site left with flash that i know. and who are they going after? gamers...

trust me i would love an overkill flash site, and i am leaving the video sites flash alone.
but any marketing/website person i have every taked to has said what Mike said.... too flashy and takes up real estate.

Scott
ADK
stratton
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1446
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 15:22:57 (permalink)
Nothing to add on Scott's site, but had to grin at the sheer predictability of internet forums.

BTW Scott, looking forward to getting my Kentucky Fried DAW!
jcschild
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 15:26:39 (permalink)
LOL can you image if i had posted this on gear slutz?
or KVR?
1 KFD coming your way.

Scott
ADK
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 16:00:37 (permalink)
Scott,

pretty much liked the site. I came to it as a wouldbe buyer trying to find a computer for music (didn't visit the video site). Pretty easy to navigate to likely suspects. The header is too big and cluttered, I think. I'd jeep the move the "Why choose AKD" but move the specials on the right below and just for symtetries sake move the apple bite up into the full screen. Then have all the soft/hard ware stuff below - making it nice and organized.

And you make want to put up a basic price for some of the upscale units at the top- for shopping purposes most people will look at price 1st rather than specs. $2000 too much, $895 I got more cash than that, $1500 just right. Kinda the goldilocks kind of price shopping. Then I would like at the specs and try to talk myself into buying the better one.

Finally, the clearance add was a little too wordy. We all know what clearance is. If I was in the market , after I took a gander at your basic models I'd check to see if I could steal something from you.

Hope this helps.

@
post edited by AT - 2008/10/24 16:05:56

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
RE: feedback needed OT 2008/10/25 05:35:38 (permalink)

yet we get the "i didnt know you sold that" (apple, Mixers, UADs, Mics, Studio Monitors etc) from our existing clients.

If this is the most important issue, I would suggest that the right hand column on the front page was headed "Studio Gear" with a few key items or subsections shown (with images) like the left column does for the computers. This should show that "Pro Audio Computers" and "Studio Gear" are on an even footing. Then you could put the "Apple Value Added Reseller" below the other computer items (to continue the computer theme) and have the "Why choose ADK" box below the "Studio Gear" section.

This would make the whole page a bit longer. I don't know if that is an issue or not. Making the top banner less tall would save some space.

UnderTow
jcschild
RE: feedback needed OT 2008/10/25 11:36:47 (permalink)
thanks guys!
i really appreciate this.

since it seems
1) some poeple dont get the navigation
2) some poeple dont scroll
3) 30% of users are still on 1024 monitors that means the first 780 pixels are prime real estate and i can only fit so much in there.....so much gear so little space...
and alas my flash is gone....

a guy could really go bald with all this hair pulling.

Scott
ADK
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1