Long-time question about SONAR

Author
_FP_
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 55
2008/10/23 12:52:46 (permalink)

Long-time question about SONAR

I suppose this falls into the "idle curiosity" category, since I enjoy working with SONAR and I have no intention of jumping ship.

From SONAR 1 until 7.x, I've had lots of crashes - sometimes several a day, but I'm used to it and I no longer see it as a huge problem. It usually happens during adjustments of virtual synths during playback of fast sequences, but sometimes it happens for no reason I can deduce. This has been the norm across multiple PCs/sound cards and SONAR versions. AUTOSAVE rescues work every few minutes and I save incrementally and often between that, so aside from the minute it takes to reboot, nothing is lost. I gotta say SONAR is the least stable app I use (well, at least since LIGHTWAVE 6), and I have a huge suite of audiovisual programs, most of which have never crashed at all.

My question is: What is so huge about SONAR's hooks into the system that a crash requires rebooting before any audio will work again? When SONAR goes down, a simple re-start will not bring back SONAR audio, and quite often even WINAMP and SOUND FORGE and ACID can't play audio until rebooting. When other audio programs crash, simply restarting them restores audio, and no other programs are affected. What is SONAR doing in there that's so dangerous? Are other MIDI apps equally crazy?

16 Replies Related Threads

aj
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1084
    RE: Long-time question about SONAR 2008/10/23 13:00:23 (permalink)
    An interesting question. I can only observe that ASIO seems much more fragile than WDM in this regard. If Sonar goes down using ASIO, a reboot is almost always necessary to recover the audio; WDM seems to recover much more reliably. However one thing that still is a bit fragile in Windows is MIDI. Often after putting my laptop to sleep and waking it up, with Sonar not running, MIDI stops working although audio is still fine. This has always been the case and is something to do with Windows; it was worse with XP than with Vista.

I suspect part of the problem is Windows drivers themselves; if the host application doesn't shut them down properly, they don't cope well with that. Not precisely Sonar's fault since if it's crashed, it's kinda too late....
    Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    RE: Long-time question about SONAR 2008/10/23 13:01:57 (permalink)
    Dropouts maybe but crashes no, I don't generally get these and I have used Sonar on a range of computers (laptops and desktops) and with a number of different soundcards (Yamaha, Echo and Edirol).

Hell, I'm even using totally out of date audio hardware and it still works ok!

Perhaps if you post some specs and tell us what kind of set up you have (ie is it a dedicated DAW or do you use it for internet as well etc etc) then maybe we can help free you of the crashing curse.

Child
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Long-time question about SONAR 2008/10/23 13:01:58 (permalink)
    well without posting what your machine is , sound card etc.. hard to say.

when it crashes , well the sound driver is locked into sonar and isn't released.

winamp uses WDM mode, not asio.. normally as a default.

if I crash out my sound card, when it's in asio mode like I used to. then a reboot was needed to release it.

remember sonar's only controlling whatever you give it.. so if there is something in your setup thats a bit iffy , then it would have a knock on effect.

msr
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Long-time question about SONAR 2008/10/23 13:25:34 (permalink)
    I too share your experiences and sentiments, and misery loves company. I also have had periodic crashes across more than one machine and operating system and have learned to live with them for the sole reason that I like the Sonar App. They are frustrating. I suspect they must have something to do with drivers, and I could spend hours and hours trying to figure out which one and how (or if) it can be fixed. It seems easier to just learn to accept it and move on with my work. But certainly a more robust Sonar program would be nice. Someday... This however, is a big part of the reason I am reluctant to upgrade to S8PE from S6PE. I have for the most part figured out the pitfalls of S6. Why would I want to have to learn this all over again for a handful of upgrades that may not impact my studio all that much. For now, I'll live with 6.

msr

Equipment: 2.66 GHz Dual Core Pentium D, 2GB SDRAM, 160GB SATA2 HD, 250GB SATA2 HD, Win 7 Pro, Sonar X2 Producer, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: Long-time question about SONAR 2008/10/23 13:41:49 (permalink)
    I will throw out a theory.

MS services
    Sound card services

Both loaded in memory

A program (like Sonar) says to the windows services, call the sound card services and use them as a realtime stream for audio.

In the process of using Sonar you exceed memory by having a lot of tracks and plug ins and the program crashes before it properly shuts down the streaming. Windows is waiting for data that will not come until you reboot. Thus the driver has nothing to do, it in fact is in a wait state for the next command.

No service is in control, audio stops, driver in a wait state for the next command so it will not open another call from windows or even a new program.

Something like this occurs.
    post edited by Middleman - 2008/10/23 13:45:56

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    karim82
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 481
    RE: Long-time question about SONAR 2008/10/23 14:53:50 (permalink)
    To the OP: what are you sys specs?? SONAR never crashed for me EVER!!

Cakewalk SONAR v8 - Windows 7 64bit (RC) - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8GHz ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE - 4Gb RAM DDR2 667MHz - 160G System + 250G Recording + 1Tb Archiving - Sapphire Radeon HD4670 1Gb GDDR3 - ACER22"-Edirol UA-25-Waves Plugs,Bluetubes
    sandman5000
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 882
    RE: Long-time question about SONAR 2008/10/23 15:11:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: _FP_

I suppose this falls into the "idle curiosity" category, since I enjoy working with SONAR and I have no intention of jumping ship.

From SONAR 1 until 7.x, I've had lots of crashes - sometimes several a day, but I'm used to it and I no longer see it as a huge problem. It usually happens during adjustments of virtual synths during playback of fast sequences, but sometimes it happens for no reason I can deduce. This has been the norm across multiple PCs/sound cards and SONAR versions. AUTOSAVE rescues work every few minutes and I save incrementally and often between that, so aside from the minute it takes to reboot, nothing is lost. I gotta say SONAR is the least stable app I use (well, at least since LIGHTWAVE 6), and I have a huge suite of audiovisual programs, most of which have never crashed at all.

My question is: What is so huge about SONAR's hooks into the system that a crash requires rebooting before any audio will work again? When SONAR goes down, a simple re-start will not bring back SONAR audio, and quite often even WINAMP and SOUND FORGE and ACID can't play audio until rebooting. When other audio programs crash, simply restarting them restores audio, and no other programs are affected. What is SONAR doing in there that's so dangerous? Are other MIDI apps equally crazy?

Do you notice this on any other computers? Because aside from hardware malfunction (rare, really) or 'bad drivers' (really rare), the only thing that consistently has caused me problems in Sonar have been third party plug ins.

For example, I have one VST synth (the old Superwave8) that totally kept crashing sonar. It took me a while (and lots of frustration!) to figure out that the plug in would crash Sonar if the multi cpu option was checked. the plug in could not handle multiple cpu cores.

So I would suggest checking checking your plug ins (of course if you already ruled out bad hardware/computer set up).
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Long-time question about SONAR 2008/10/23 17:02:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: karim82

To the OP: what are you sys specs?? SONAR never crashed for me EVER!!

I had a crash here and there over the tears, but who hasnt???? Its ususlaly due to somethnig else causing it also. I think you just have had some bad luck picking sound cards and pc's. Ive has sonar 6,7, and 8 and experience nothing of what your saying....
    How about listing your hardware and config settings. List something
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: Long-time question about SONAR 2008/10/23 20:29:59 (permalink)
    I'm surprised you don't want to trouble shoot this situation.

You mentioned MIDI. Some MIDI drivers wont let go of SONAR. Simply unlugging the MIDI device form the PC will allow SONAR to shut down properly or allow you to kill the process in Task Manager without having to reboot. Give it a try.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    _FP_
    RE: Long-time question about SONAR 2008/10/24 10:09:52 (permalink)
    This problem has persisted over multiple configurations of PCs - about five altogether. The lineup includes everything from Win98SE Celeron boxes with on-board sound up to my current music box, which is:
    Windows XP 32-bit SP2
    P4 3ghz
    2 gigs RAM
    Asus 775i65GV mobo
    On-board video, screen res 1024 X 768 (high enough - I don't keep a lot of windows open)
    Echo MIA (without MIDI)

I use other computers for online activities and 3D animation and graphics.

I use no MIDI controllers. I'm a mouse-click composer. About 90% of my sounds come from Livesynth Pro (a very old version) and a large collection of soundfonts, with effects such as chorus and vibrato added during mixing in VEGAS. I like Livesynth because it's friendlier and easier to use than other soundfont players. My virtual synths include those installed with SONAR, FM7 and Pro 53 and some free VSTs. Post-processing makes the synth roster sound bigger and more powerful. Nothing I do in SONAR really taxes the CPU. Mixing in VEGAS is a much more pleasant process than mixing in SONAR. I output individual dry tracks from SONAR. VEGAS has never crashed on me during six or more years of use, except when saving a file to an external drive that got switched off. Using ACID's limited MIDI/VST capabilities has never caused a crash. Composing drum loops with the tracker MED has never caused a crash in twelve years. I used to use Cakewalk and MED with a MIDI interface and an external CM-64 synth and neither app crashed with that setup.

As far as SONAR troubleshooting, I tried years ago, but when the identical issues persisted across multiple hardware setups, I decided to just live with it because I like the interface better than that of other MIDI apps. I tried other soundfont players in case Livesynth was causing crashes, but there was no difference in behavior. I run MEMCHECK on all my systems to check for RAM errors.

Really, I'm just curious as to why, of all the apps I use, SONAR is the only frequent crasher, and the absolutely only app which requires rebooting to restore audio. It's like a beloved houseguest you keep inviting back, even though she breaks something and barfs on the couch during every visit. In some deep-in-the-guts way, SONAR must be very different than other apps I use. I'm guessing it's the virtual synth connection.

lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: Long-time question about SONAR 2008/10/24 11:23:04 (permalink)
    About 90% of my sounds come from Livesynth Pro (a very old version)

Just a thought... I wonder if this is the common thread between all of your different computer configurations?

Sonar 4, 5, 6 & 7, all still installed on the same computer. Only two crashes that required a reboot in 3 years. Specs of machine below, but I just don't have the problems other people seem to have... so, I'll knock on the top of my head (closest thing to wood I have) and call myself lucky, I guess!

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    RE: Long-time question about SONAR 2008/10/24 12:41:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lazarous

About 90% of my sounds come from Livesynth Pro (a very old version)

Just a thought... I wonder if this is the common thread between all of your different computer configurations?

+1

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: Long-time question about SONAR 2008/10/24 13:41:02 (permalink)
    Asus 775i65GV mobo

This may be the source of your problem. The onboard video drivers are not updated as often as stand alone graphics cards. Could be the issue here.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Long-time question about SONAR 2008/10/24 19:03:19 (permalink)
    P4 3ghz
    2 gigs RAM
    Asus 775i65GV mobo
    On-board video, screen res 1024 X 768 (high enough - I don't keep a lot of windows open)
    Echo MIA (without MIDI)

I use other computers for online activities and 3D animation and graphics.

I use no MIDI controllers. I'm a mouse-click composer. About 90% of my sounds come from Livesynth Pro (a very old version) and a large collection of soundfonts, with effects such as chorus and vibrato added during mixing in VEGAS. I like Livesynth because it's friendlier and easier to use than other soundfont players. My virtual synths include those installed with SONAR, FM7 and Pro 53 and some free VSTs. Post-processing makes the synth roster sound bigger and more powerful. Nothing I do in SONAR really taxes the CPU.

You can only do so much with a single core pc, in my opinion. Im not just lucky that my sonar doesnt do what yours supposedly does. If you use a sinlge core pc, you need to start being smart about it and start freezing and/or rendering your soft synths. soem projects are over 80 tracks with just as many plugins and i do not crash or drop out. Yu need to really look into your set up. We all have the same Version of sonar.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    ara
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 346
    RE: Long-time question about SONAR 2008/10/24 20:07:36 (permalink)
    Does Vegas add some VSTs into the equation? Ara www.aratunes.us
    _FP_
    RE: Long-time question about SONAR 2008/10/26 01:45:43 (permalink)
    Hm. Maybe Sound Forge adds some DX plugs. Don't have the audio PC switched on at the moment to check....

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1