Saving to External HD

Author
Rampdog
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 529
2008/10/23 16:50:44 (permalink)

Saving to External HD

I went through the help files and did a quick search on here and didn't find info... I have a Seagate External HD on my DAW... I checked the files being backed up and my music projects are not in there... I called Seagate and they told me that Cakewalk would have to tell me how to get those files backed up on my External HD... which brings me to you nice peoples who haven't flamed me yet... How do I back them up on my X-HD..... Right now my projects are in C>Program Files>Cakewalk>Cakewalk Projects...
Thanks all,
Billy

Windows XP Pro  32x
Sonar X1d Producer
Intel i7 Quad Core
3x3 Gig RAM 
Mackie Onyx 1220i
Casio PX-110 88 Keyboard
Korg K61 P / Midi Keyboard
Assorted Guitars 
http://soundcloud.com/ramps

21 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/23 16:56:44 (permalink)
    If you're just wanting to back them up to the hard drive then you don't need cakewalk to do anything - you need to manually copy them to the drive. if you're using PER PROJECT FOLDERS, that's easy, just go to C:\cakewalk projects\[name of your project] and copy that whole folder.

if you're wanting to save your projects to the external (which is NOT a backup, but the place to save the ORIGINAL project), then you can change the location that cakewalk saves projects by going to OPTIONS>GLOBAL>FOLDERS and change the projects location to your external drive.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Rampdog
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/23 17:59:02 (permalink)
    Thanks Reece... What I'm trying to do is make sure I don't lose everything again... My HD crashed a while back and I got lucky and salvaged my projects from a split drive I had on my old putor... Now I'm trying to set up my external HD to hold a backup of all my projects...(obviously I have everything saved on my internal HD in my DAW already) Am I explaining that correct I hope...? What would be my best course of action here? Maybe I'm just not to sharp on using an external HD...
    Billy
    post edited by Rampdog - 2008/10/23 18:02:56

Windows XP Pro  32x
    Sonar X1d Producer
    Intel i7 Quad Core
    3x3 Gig RAM 
    Mackie Onyx 1220i
    Casio PX-110 88 Keyboard
    Assorted Guitars 
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/23 19:10:01 (permalink)
    Billy,

Under "Options"-->"Global"-->"Folders", set the "Project Files" folder to a location on your external drive. In my case, the external drive I use for Projects and Audio is my K: drive, and I have created a root folder on the drive named "SONAR Projects"...Under the "Audio Data" tab, set the "Global Audio Folder" to your external drive's SONAR folder (as mentioned above) and select the "Use Per-Project Audio Folders" option...

Now, when you begin a new project (let's say "Billy's Song") a new folder will be created on your secondary drive and an Audio sub-folder will be created as the location for any audio files created within that project...

Does that help you understand (I'm really tired an might have missed something)...?

Regards,
    Papa
    Rampdog
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/23 19:18:27 (permalink)
    Hey David... that kinda' makes sense to me... One question is would my existing projects be moved to my external meaning that whenever I access them I would be accessing them from the external?
    post edited by Rampdog - 2008/10/23 19:22:04

Windows XP Pro  32x
    Sonar X1d Producer
    Intel i7 Quad Core
    3x3 Gig RAM 
    Mackie Onyx 1220i
    Casio PX-110 88 Keyboard
    Assorted Guitars 
    Rampdog
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/23 19:39:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: papa2004

Billy,

Under "Options"-->"Global"-->"Folders", set the "Project Files" folder to a location on your external drive. In my case, the external drive I use for Projects and Audio is my K: drive, and I have created a root folder on the drive named "SONAR Projects"...Under the "Audio Data" tab, set the "Global Audio Folder" to your external drive's SONAR folder (as mentioned above) and select the "Use Per-Project Audio Folders" option...

Now, when you begin a new project (let's say "Billy's Song") a new folder will be created on your secondary drive and an Audio sub-folder will be created as the location for any audio files created within that project...

Does that help you understand (I'm really tired an might have missed something)...?

I set it up the way you suggested David... and I also went to my original "Project Folder" and copied and pasted that to the new Sonar Projects folder I set up on my external drive. I'm hopin' that should do the trick...???
    Thanks

Windows XP Pro  32x
    Sonar X1d Producer
    Intel i7 Quad Core
    3x3 Gig RAM 
    Mackie Onyx 1220i
    Casio PX-110 88 Keyboard
    Assorted Guitars 
    Beagle
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/23 22:56:33 (permalink)
    no, the existing projects won't be moved unless you move them specifically.

and just to remind you - changing the path like David said doesn't make a BACKUP copy - that's where it starts storing the project. if you want a backup copy, you'll need to make those manually.

papa2004
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/24 01:28:14 (permalink)
    One question is would my existing projects be moved to my external meaning that whenever I access them I would be accessing them from the external?

As Reece stated, no. To get them 'correctly' moved to the external drive you need to open each project and then do a "Save As..." as shown in the example below.

Make sure you save as "Normal" and enable the "Copy all audio with project" option. If you wish to rename the project (for whatever reason) now would be a good time to do so. Just make sure you're saving the project and its audio files to the external drive in the proper folder.

Now then, don't confuse using external drive storage of project/audio files to be a "backup"...Choosing to use an external drive for project/audio files is a means of easing some of the stress on the OS drive which should improve the performance efficiency of your DAW. Backups should be stored on a different external drive and, at appropriate times during the production of the project, on DVD or CD depending on the size of the project's files.

Organization is the key. Once you get a system in place you'll find your workflow to be much more efficient.

Regards,
    Papa
    Rampdog
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/24 07:48:14 (permalink)
    Thanks you guys... Duh!!...... It makes sense to me now....... I really appreciate you takin' the time to show me this stuff... You guys are the givers...

Windows XP Pro  32x
    Sonar X1d Producer
    Intel i7 Quad Core
    3x3 Gig RAM 
    Mackie Onyx 1220i
    Casio PX-110 88 Keyboard
    Assorted Guitars 
    papa2004
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/24 08:27:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rampdog

Thanks you guys... Duh!!...... It makes sense to me now....... I really appreciate you takin' the time to show me this stuff... You guys are the givers...

Just giving back what we've been given over the years...

Regards,
    Papa
    uncleswede
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/24 17:40:52 (permalink)
    Rampdog, check out this thread <HERE> for a batch file that will backup all new and changed files onto your external HDD with one dbl-click. Obviously you would need to adapt if for your drive letters and folders

---------------------------------------------------------
    How to fly - throw yourself at the ground and miss
    S8.5PE, i7-920 (XP), 6Gb RAM, Phonic Helix 12, Axiom 61 controller, JM VC3Q and mic, plus more...
    Gareth
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/25 07:50:45 (permalink)
    I've been exporting projects to an external HD for some time and use the path that Papa outlined, but, I save them as Cakewalk Bundle files.
    Gareth

Check out: htpp://www.cognac-countryhouse.com

Acer(Vista), Sempron 3600 2Ghz, 3go RAM, 250Go HD, Tascam122L. Fender 'Rhinestone' Strat, Cort electro acoustic, Seagull 12string, Eko semi acoustic, Peavey bass , Behringer UMX controller
    Rampdog
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/25 07:54:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Gareth

I've been exporting projects to an external HD for some time and use the path that Papa outlined, but, I save them as Cakewalk Bundle files.
    Gareth

I saved them as 'Normal' to my E HD... When I pull them up they are my project ie... tracks, fx, everything... should I be doing the bundle files?

Windows XP Pro  32x
    Sonar X1d Producer
    Intel i7 Quad Core
    3x3 Gig RAM 
    Mackie Onyx 1220i
    Casio PX-110 88 Keyboard
    Assorted Guitars 
    Beagle
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/25 10:43:42 (permalink)
    it will not pull up the audio tracks if you save as a CWP on another location, only if you pull it up from the original place it was saved. for example, if you save as a CWP, then copy that CWP file to a CD for backups, if you try to open the CWP from the CD it will not have any of the audio tracks with it. if you save as a CWB file, it will save all of the audio tracks with it when you copy the file to another location.

Rampdog
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/25 16:18:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

it will not pull up the audio tracks if you save as a CWP on another location, only if you pull it up from the original place it was saved. for example, if you save as a CWP, then copy that CWP file to a CD for backups, if you try to open the CWP from the CD it will not have any of the audio tracks with it. if you save as a CWB file, it will save all of the audio tracks with it when you copy the file to another location.

I think I'm ok Beegs... I just saved as 'Normal' and saved to my EX D... When I pull them up everything is there... Wow... I'm glad I didn't do it different...

Windows XP Pro  32x
    Sonar X1d Producer
    Intel i7 Quad Core
    3x3 Gig RAM 
    Mackie Onyx 1220i
    Casio PX-110 88 Keyboard
    Assorted Guitars 
    GrottoRob
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 677
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/25 16:30:07 (permalink)
    A Word of Caution.......Sometimes, for some people, Bundles can act wierd. CWP files, with associated Audio folders, seem to be more consistent.....Just what I've heard....

Rob
    papa2004
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/25 17:16:44 (permalink)
    it will not pull up the audio tracks if you save as a CWP on another location,

If you choose the "Copy all audio with project" option it will. Perhaps my earlier explanation wasn't clear. Backing up projects is just as simple (if not simpler)...One can copy the project folder (which would include the sub-folder "Audio") to another drive or burn a CD/DVD of the project folder (which would include the sub-folder "Audio).

The important thing is to make sure the folder designation is properly assigned.

Regards,
    Papa
    Rampdog
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/25 17:59:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: papa2004

it will not pull up the audio tracks if you save as a CWP on another location,

If you choose the "Copy all audio with project" option it will. Perhaps my earlier explanation wasn't clear. Backing up projects is just as simple (if not simpler)...One can copy the project folder (which would include the sub-folder "Audio") to another drive or burn a CD/DVD of the project folder (which would include the sub-folder "Audio).

The important thing is to make sure the folder designation is properly assigned.

Hey Papa... I went to every project and save as "Project Name" to my External into a subfolder I call Sonar Projects... I made sure the "Copy all audio with project" was clicked... now I seem to be good to go... I pull my projects from my external drive no problem... Now if my computor crashes I should be ok right?
    post edited by Rampdog - 2008/10/25 18:03:11

Windows XP Pro  32x
    Sonar X1d Producer
    Intel i7 Quad Core
    3x3 Gig RAM 
    Mackie Onyx 1220i
    Casio PX-110 88 Keyboard
    Assorted Guitars 
    papa2004
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/26 04:52:29 (permalink)
    Now if my computor crashes I should be ok right?

Your projects and their associated audio files won't be affected by an OS HD crash. However, keep in mind that external (or secondary, tertiary, etc.,) drives are also subject to physical failures. That's why making frequent backups is important. External HD's are so inexpensive these days (as are recordable DVD's & CD's) that there's really no good excuse for not doing so.

I would also suggest you get into the habit of defragging your drives on a regular basis. This process doesn't require your attention so you can do it at any time without feeling like it's necessary for you to be "watching" the progress bar. Additionally, if your DAW computer is also used for internet access you would be well-advised to frequently scan your system for malware or spyware and viruses--particularly if you've been downloading a lot of files such as "free plugins".

Regards,
    Papa
    Rampdog
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/26 07:42:20 (permalink)
    Check, check, double check, and triple check... Thanks David.............

Windows XP Pro  32x
    Sonar X1d Producer
    Intel i7 Quad Core
    3x3 Gig RAM 
    Mackie Onyx 1220i
    Casio PX-110 88 Keyboard
    Assorted Guitars 
    papa2004
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/26 10:20:23 (permalink)
    Glad to be of some assistance whenever possible...

Regards,
    Papa
    Rampdog
    RE: Saving to External HD 2008/10/26 19:48:15 (permalink)
    What I'm doing now till I can afford another EX HD, and yes it's a bit more work, is I have my projects on my HD where I pull them up from and when I'm done working on a project is save it on that HD AND save it on my EX HD... That's the best I can do for a backup now... If my DAW crashes then I have my work on the EX HD and vice versa...
    I know there's probably an easier way but I don't it yet....

Windows XP Pro  32x
    Sonar X1d Producer
    Intel i7 Quad Core
    3x3 Gig RAM 
    Mackie Onyx 1220i
    Casio PX-110 88 Keyboard
    Assorted Guitars 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1