soundcard troubles?

Author
marsal
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 81
2008/10/24 05:41:17 (permalink)

soundcard troubles?

Hello,think I've a sound problem I'd be glad of help if possible-------

1.am running SHS4 XL ,XP WITH SP 2, ASUS a8ne mobo+ presonus firebox.

2. project [all midi] opens 100% only faint sound on all tracks ,this suddenly.This with 2 instances of kontakt/ GPO,both connected--tracks and synth solo both on,----mod wheel stays up---when wheel turned down, no sound.

3.tracks go into master from -13db to -7 db shown on meter [levels go into red if synth vol tuned up but can hear no change]

4. signal path is track--vsti----master-------'nvidia asio surround left' shouldn't it be presonus?[onboard sound is disabled] the firebox thinks its ok,the blue light on it is on.

5.Get same results if I set up another project with kontakt/GPO tute[bach] also low vol,headphones vol not adjustable,stays at same low vol.

6 On startup afew days ago I got message saying compter had been tampered with[not possible].All I did to get this message [I think] was not push the start button properly.However, I get 'cmos checksum error defaults loaded' on startup [I've passed that and gone on] and just before turning off I get message 'new programs installed'----flagging five programs up , including GPO,and the firebox sound drivers-------they've been there for ages -------what happened?

7 Audio is on another drive in per project folders separate fron sonar.

8.By itself the kontakt player plus GPO if opened outside a project is fairly loud----the mod wheel makes no difference to sound though.

I've put in all I can think of, and don't know what to do,I'm no computer expert .I hpoe someone can help me with this and would be very grateful if they can! I will reply as soon as possible ----------am on public terminal -----thanks in advance, MARSAL.

4 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: soundcard troubles? 2008/10/24 08:35:46 (permalink)
    6 On startup afew days ago I got message saying compter had been tampered with[not possible].All I did to get this message [I think] was not push the start button properly.However, I get 'cmos checksum error defaults loaded' on startup [I've passed that and gone on] and just before turning off I get message 'new programs installed'----flagging five programs up , including GPO,and the firebox sound drivers-------they've been there for ages -------what happened?

This sounds like it might be a virus.

I don't have GPO but I know that it does map controller codes differently than standard. check the manual for GPO to make sure you're not mapping the mod wheel to velocity or volume.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    marsal
    RE: soundcard troubles? 2008/10/25 05:02:01 (permalink)
    Hello Beagle -----
    Thanks for the reply.I'm not on the internet with this box of tricks,so I don't think it could be a virus.Everything I've downloaded and put on this computer has been downloaded onto a CD or memory stick from a public terminal in a library and the've got their own virus check on stuff------not saying its foolproof, but the virus chances are pretty small.

So-----are there any further options out there? As I say ,the volume is right down on all things,the Bach example in the tutorials,[not going through the kontakt player AFAIK],my existing project and a test project I set up.I've no speakers,just phones and the vol on them stays constant if I turn the phones up.

sheeesh,I'm stumped.Thanks in advance for any suggestions, MARSAL.
    VinylJunkie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 939
    RE: soundcard troubles? 2008/10/25 05:26:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

This sounds like it might be a virus.

I don't have GPO but I know that it does map controller codes differently than standard. check the manual for GPO to make sure you're not mapping the mod wheel to velocity or volume.

Whether a virus is the cause or not, it does sound like something has got corrupted. If you haven't done so already, I would try a system restore.

VJ
    marsal
    RE: soundcard troubles? 2008/10/27 07:35:22 (permalink)
    Thanks vinyljunkie,I'lll take it onboard-----MARSAL
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1