Beatscape, ready for primetime?

Author
fresh101
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 772
2008/10/24 07:16:50 (permalink)

Beatscape, ready for primetime?

Beatscape seems like a really cool idea but it doesn't seem to be executed as well as i had hoped. Outside of the audio problems with the slice section, their are a few missing features that keep it from really shining.

• a zoom/magnify function for editing wav slices & zero crossing
  • visible numeric knob values
  • visible numeric values for step editor
  • better file management of user wavs
  • ability to change default pad settings to match personal work flow

Don't get me wrong it really has some cool stuff going for it but what it's missing is keeping it from becoming a go to plug for me.

Let me know what you think. I've sent a feature request for most of my list already.

Please chime in on the subject. I feel like if we are vocal about this program Cakewalk might be more willing to make updates for it sooner.

14 Replies Related Threads

Westside Steve
    • Total Posts : 794
    RE: Beatscape, ready for primetime? 2008/10/24 08:06:20 (permalink)
    Please chime in on the subject. I feel like if we are vocal about this program Cakewalk might be more willing to make updates for it sooner.

I played with it for a few minutes before I got bored.
    Are there intros breaks endings etc to make a useful percussion bed or is it just turn it on turn it off beat bax thing?

It sounds nice.

WSS
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Beatscape, ready for primetime? 2008/10/24 09:00:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fresh101

I've sent a feature request for most of my list already.

they already got my report on it. I'd be more interested if RX2 was included as a native format (without the use of vst-i's ) in sonar though.. my campaign continues
    Brian Desmond [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 85
    RE: Beatscape, ready for primetime? 2008/10/24 11:27:01 (permalink)
    Hi fresh101,

I'm glad your enjoying Beatscape.

• Try clicking a slice in the loop editor and using the mouse wheel to scroll.

• Good suggestion, thanks.

• Also a good suggestion!

• We'll keep this one in mind as well.

• You could always save your own track template for this purpose.

- Brian
    donbelisle
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: Beatscape, ready for primetime? 2008/10/24 13:03:05 (permalink)
    I`ll give Beatscape a good plug! The more I use it, the happier I am with it.

I have been using Beatscape with my external DR660 (boss drum machine) and Alesis pads.
    Either my drum machine or beatscape does the basic foundation, then I layer in
    percussion pads on top. It is turning out to be a nice blend of old and new.

Is there a way to review where-what group an individual PAD wav came from after it
    has been dropped in?

Don Belisle
    Q6600, DP35DP, 2 gig mem, Xp pro SP2, Sonar 1-8, FW410

fresh101
    RE: Beatscape, ready for primetime? 2008/10/24 15:18:22 (permalink)
    Thanks Brian for the response. This is one of the things that make Cakewalk so awesome.

• Try clicking a slice in the loop editor and using the mouse wheel to scroll.

Thanks for this one. I must have over looked it. It really adds a lot to the program for me.

I really wish Drozone had this as well.

• You could always save your own track template for this purpose.

I've tried this and also saving a presets as well but when you add a sound to the pads they go back to the default settings automatically.

If I make a preset with empty pads set to

• play mode = manual play
    • speed = 1x
    • sync mode = immediate

When you add sounds to the pads the settings switch to this by default

• play mode = auto loop
    • speed = 1x
    • sync mode = measure

So every time I add a new sound I have to change the pad modes back to my prefered settings. This can become a hassle when trying out lots of sounds.

Thanks again for the response and help. This makes me feel like you guys really care.

I really like Beatscape and with a little polish I think it could truly be a awesome and powerful tool.

post edited by fresh101 - 2008/10/24 18:22:06
    jonespnice1
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: Beatscape, ready for primetime? 2008/10/24 18:00:55 (permalink)
    I like cakewalk and everything but I am totally disappointed with beatscape and sonar 8, I mean with the crashing and all. I have been using sonar since version 1 and I think sonar 8 is a terrible upgrade (in my opinion), all of the synths I either have or don't need, and I was really hoping beatscape would be cakewalk's software version of a mpc. I really wish they would have made some major improvements to sonar's sequencer and make it more intuitive. The only thing that I like about sonar 8 compared to sonar 7 is the channel tools, now that is something that is very useful. I have pro tools and reaper as well as sonar but I am finding myself using sonar less and less.
    I will continue to use sonar for my midi needs but for everything else I will probably use reaper.

Sorry but I am really disappointed with this sonar 8 upgrade.
    LSinBTonez
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: Beatscape, ready for primetime? 2008/10/24 18:02:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fresh101

Beatscape seems like a really cool idea but it doesn't seem to be executed as well as i had hoped. Outside of the audio problems with the slice section, their are a few missing features that keep it from really shining.

Don't get me wrong it really has some cool stuff going for it but what it's missing is keeping it from becoming a go to plug for me.

Let me know what you think. I've sent a feature request for most of my list already.

Software: Sonar 8.5PE/ Reason 4

Daw: Q6600 Quad Core/ 4GB Ram/ Tascam FW1082/

Genre: Hip Hop
    doc_drop
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Beatscape, ready for primetime? 2008/10/24 20:18:32 (permalink)
    I actually really like Beatscape. The included files are pretty darn good, and there are a lot of them. Once you tweak them with the step sequencer, reverse some slices, normalize some slices, etc. you can get some pretty slamming, and personalized things going. Plus I am not having the noise issues others are having.

But, I REALLY wish the program browser allowed you to search for user files. It gets very old having to use Windows Explorer(!) to drag them on to a pad to audition them.

Just my $.02.

Doc DROP
    ducatibruce2
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 557
    RE: Beatscape, ready for primetime? 2008/10/25 09:33:39 (permalink)
    Everytime I preview a clip in Beatscape it copies the file to my C drive. Sometimes it even makes a second, slightly larger copy (as a .loop file).
    Once copied to my C drive & added to the "imported" list, files dont seem to load any faster than the first time.
    Is there any processing done & saved in the C drive copy for Rx2, acidised wave or plain wave files during the "import" process or are they straight copies?

Are there any plans to allow users to have the option of having all these duplicate files placed somewhere other than the boot drive (eg where the user indicated they wanted the content loaded)? I'd rather not have to rely on an undocumented registry hack to accomplish it and I'm not keen to have my OS drive cluttered up with sample data.

Are there any plans to allow users to load existing files without having them duplicated? (I have nearly 20,000 rx2 files on my sample drive I havent bothered counting waves)

When Beatscape is uninstalled does it allow the option to have all this duplicate data it created removed as well?

A couple of feature suggestions:
    -Long file names are truncated in the pads, some way to display the full filename (eg mouseover tooltip or rightclick option) would be handy. I'm currently looking at 4 Beatscape pads identically labelled "134_BD_Perc..." & its a pain not knowing whats loaded where.

-All the "not the boot drive" duplicate file stuff above or the abilty to just point at existing sliced samples & use them without copying.

-It would be nice if F5 refreshed/rebuilt the Program browser in Beatscape like it does the factory & imported lists. Currently can only be rebuilt by deleting the ProgCache.lst file in win explorer.

-Some file management stuff inside Beatscape. Constantly having to use win explorer & then refresh lists in beatscape is a pain & leads to errors.

"bug"(reported): Loading a Beatscape program that contains references to files not found (becuse they've been modified/deleted in win explorer for example) crashes Beatscape (& usually Sonar) with a C++ "Assertion Failed" message

S8.5.3PE & X1d P Exp & X2P, Q6600 @3Ghz, 4GB DDR2, XP SP3
    With Knobs: 2 x Yamaha i88x mlan (ASIO), RS7000, Motif ESR, Roland SI24, VSynth XT, Varios, Fantom XR, JunoD, HPD10, Korg PadKontrol
    No knobs: P5, DimPro, Rapture, Z3ta+, IK stuff, ReCycle, Komplete8
    puffer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 836
    RE: Beatscape, ready for primetime? 2008/10/25 10:00:54 (permalink)
    Hey bruce,

Be sure and copy and paste those to the official feature request form:

http://www.cakewalk.com/support/featurerequest.asp

Those are good suggestions.

The file browser limitation on the searching is, as mentioned, is limited to say the least. I had to reinstall it so that it went to my default (e:/) REX library because, unless I'm mistaken, you can't preview REX files through beatscape in the loop browser.

digitallofi.bandcamp.com
    puffer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 836
    RE: Beatscape, ready for primetime? 2008/10/25 10:31:42 (permalink)
    So, I just loaded it up, and I'm not seeing the boot drive file duplicate issues. It seems to be putting everything in the user data/applications/cakewalk/beatscape/etc. folder.

Like I said, I did a re-install of beatscape, and when it asked me where to put the sample data I pointed it to my overall REX directory: e:/REX. beatscape created and installed it's REX files into a sub-folder of this, but the upshot is I can use the beatscape browser to access and audition all my REX files. If I need to get a .wavs and ACID loops I can use the Sonar loop browser and copy directly into beatscape from this.

As far as the data it's importing, it all seems to be going into the expected application data directory.

Also, a note to Cakewalk: You need to add Sonar 8 to feature request form.

digitallofi.bandcamp.com
    drjee
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 494
    RE: Beatscape, ready for primetime? 2008/10/25 14:02:05 (permalink)
    please let me add these suggestions:

a) be able to set an adsr envelope to the slices (maybe also as a general setting per loop)
    b) drag and drop midi to tracks
    c) implement midi learn to all controls

what do you think?
    fresh101
    RE: Beatscape, ready for primetime? 2008/10/25 14:56:51 (permalink)
    -All the "not the boot drive" duplicate file stuff above or the abilty to just point at existing sliced samples & use them without copying.

This kinda what i was getting at on my list when I said " better file management of user wavs "

So I agree with you. I'd rather it point to the files and have some sort of auto search option if they're moved. The copy thing seems like it could really choke up your main drive reallly fast with heavy use. Especially considering the fact that if you load the same wav twice it makes a new copy of it.
    post edited by fresh101 - 2008/10/25 16:40:07
    ducatibruce2
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 557
    RE: Beatscape, ready for primetime? 2008/10/25 17:47:00 (permalink)
    @puffer

I asked it to install its content on my sample drive too. But what I'm seeing is that files that are previewed in Beatscape by dragging to a pad, or that are imported (dragged to the Beatscape user browser list) are copied to my C: drive.

From the Beatscape help file:
    SONAR 8 ships with a large collection of factory content ready to make Beatscape come alive. Factory content is found in the Library folder (C:/Program Files/Cakewalk/Beatscape/Library/). When other audio files are added from the File menu, Explorer, or a SONAR track, the content is copied to the User folder (C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Cakewalk/Beatscape/User Samples/Imported).
    (my emphasis)

And that's what I'm seeing happening.

From my registry
    :[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Beatscape\1.0]
    "Samples Folder"="E:\\multimedia files\\Cakewalk\\Multisamples\\Beatscape\\Library"
    "Installation Folder"="C:\\Program Files\\Cakewalk\\Beatscape"
    "User Data Folder"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\Cakewalk\\Beatscape"

I could hack/kludge the "not the boot drive copy" with regedit & I could trick Beatscape into loading my existing samples without copying with this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx - but at this stage I'm not sure that's a good idea (from a new application testing & the "is the application worth the extra housekeeping that invariably goes with the kludge" perspective.).

That's what's happening on my XP anyway - I may try another reinstall & see if there was something I missed last time around.

Edit to add: Yep, I've been hitting that Feature Request (&Problem Reporter) link somewhat frequently lately.
    post edited by ducatibruce2 - 2008/10/25 18:17:39

S8.5.3PE & X1d P Exp & X2P, Q6600 @3Ghz, 4GB DDR2, XP SP3
    With Knobs: 2 x Yamaha i88x mlan (ASIO), RS7000, Motif ESR, Roland SI24, VSynth XT, Varios, Fantom XR, JunoD, HPD10, Korg PadKontrol
    No knobs: P5, DimPro, Rapture, Z3ta+, IK stuff, ReCycle, Komplete8
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1