Video card location

Author
JV
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 476
2008/10/24 17:46:10 (permalink)

Video card location

OK,
This is for audio concerns (general) but I have a video question that still relates. How do I find the exact video card have without opening the tower? I just installed a new M-Audio Delta 1010 (nice so far) but see I could now use a better driver for the video. I had to re-install XP Pro after a SP3 update falied! Gates sucks anymore, gives you a nearly mandatory serve pack upgrade, then says, Oh, sorry there was a problem and must delete upgrade, buy Vista. After that some drivers were toast. I just bought the Delta so i HAD THAT DRIVER. Ran a driver locater program and it didn't list the video card. Please help me find the thing. I'm stuck with a basic video driver from from Windows XPee! ========================================================
A comment; Windows Serve Pack 3 upgrade doesn't work, I've read tons of complaints, and Vista is a joke, you can't use the same Windows on 2 computers YOU OWN!......Gates should be asshamed. It's like legal organized crime. Ok now run your business................

JV
"You can't soar with Eagles when you're flyin with Buzzards"

10 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Video card location 2008/10/24 19:08:17 (permalink)
    How do I find the exact video card have without opening the tower?

In your device manager, click display adapters and your video card will be listed. Click on the card and youll get all kinds of info on it also
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    JV
    RE: Video card location RE CJ 2008/10/24 19:53:39 (permalink)
    Damn CJ,
    I went to the Device manager and then looked to "click display adapters" as you stated and zippo-nadda. I even clicked on everything that came up on the RT hand box drop downs after opening the Dv.Mgr, and ZERO.
    I have XP PRO SP2 using the classic set up. I saw your instructions and said to myself" Oh yeah, that's right" but it's not there ALSO!!! It says the raid or radd somethings are missing their 2 drivers too. What are those to? I'm really bummed over this crap of Gates and the KNOWN BOGUS SP3 and crap out of the gate VISTA . My system was working fantastic before the SP3 then removed sp3.
    Hey I don't have a killer set up but an A8V dual 64 3000+ doesn't need to be re-placed!
    Now what bro? Where do I look. Guess I'll have to take my diasbled lame ass to the floor behind the rack and open das bch.
    Stay cool for me 'cause I aint's soon. JV

JV
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Video card location RE CJ 2008/10/25 18:26:31 (permalink)
    Hum.. I dont know then. Maybe its under somethnig else. It has to be. You prob looked in your case alreadyCj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    JV
    RE: Video card location RE CJ 2008/10/25 19:24:35 (permalink)
    Yeah,
    I'm gonna check the case tonight. There's all kinds of missing crap now. I'll be picking up a laptop next week for a video production I'm doing so I'll use that to transfer a full backup copy I have on a portable 350gig HD. after reformatting my "never messed up before" cumpuker.
    What a pain. Thanks bro,
    JV

JV
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    RE: Video card location RE CJ 2008/10/26 10:19:22 (permalink)
    ...I went to the Device manager and then looked to "click display adapters" as you stated and zippo-nadda...

Maybe it's not showing because its drivers are not installed.

You could check Display Properties. There might be some clues there. Right-click on a blank part of the desktop, then select Properties > Settings > Advanced.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    JV
    RE: Video card location RE CJ 2008/10/26 16:49:43 (permalink)
    Well, it's hiding I guess.
    I figured I would try another route. I downloaded a driver update program, found the card and deleted that program after finding the card. Still NO GO! says it's NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 440 with AGP8x. Loaded the driver.....couldn't load because it said it was the wrong card, that THAT card was not in it. Soooo, I took out the card and looked at it. IT SAYS ; NVIDIA Model N 8895 ver 1 ms115. Go to NVIDIA and can't find that driver listed! Bill Gates can kiss my direct out! SO I have a job ahead of me. Don't have the coin right now. Guess it's using the driver with XP. Some things just don't show up. DOn't want to take the card out, strart, turn off, re-install the card, let it find NEW DEVICE then put in the driver.....but still no driver to use. This is a pain for I just upgraded the driver and the video was doing fine. Now I can't install that same driver for XP says wrong card for driver. and like I said, can't find the N- 8895 driver listed. SO what is the cheapest do able card I can buy? Limited funds folks. thanks for everyones help so far.
    JV

JV
    soundchaser59
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 558
    RE: Video card location RE CJ 2008/10/26 21:36:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Kev999

...I went to the Device manager and then looked to "click display adapters" as you stated and zippo-nadda...

Maybe it's not showing because its drivers are not installed.

You could check Display Properties. There might be some clues there. Right-click on a blank part of the desktop, then select Properties > Settings > Advanced.

(Sorry, didn't see the last post before I hit this)

I dont think you will get any of this from Windows without the drivers being installed. Too bad you didn't set a restore point before the SP3 debacle.

The quickest way to find out is to open it up and look. Be prepared to write down the make, model, serial number, or whatever you can see on the video card, then go look it up on google. There are most likely some free utilities you can download that will identify everything on your machine for you.

A last resort would be to just buy a new video card and install it yourself. Then you'll always have it and the drivers handy.

There always a chance you can see the name of the video card on screen as soon as you power on and the machine start its post and boot routine. It goes by pretty fast, but if you can get into your BIOS it might say something in there. There is a chance your BIOS will know what it is, even if Windows doesn't. When you power on it's usually the first thing you see, because the machine checks for the presence of working video hardware before it decides its ok to boot up. You may see the video card logo and name, maybe a video card memory amount, etc. But it will only be there for a second or two. Maybe you can snap a picture of it and look it up later.......
    post edited by soundchaser59 - 2008/10/26 21:40:33
    soundchaser59
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 558
    RE: Video card location RE CJ 2008/10/26 21:40:15 (permalink)
    Dont go straight to NVidia, put that model number in google and start with that. If the card exists, somebody somewhere has a driver for it.

JV
    RE: Video card location RE CJ 2008/10/27 01:26:29 (permalink)
    I've done all of the above. I googled my dead uncle's aunt's dead sister who was married to Gate's and Jobs next door neighbor back when they were in the garage. No helpie.
    By the way, I videoed the startup. I'm saying that Windows says it is there and it is not there. It just has no name. SP3 uninstall messed up SEVERAL issues with the video. THere is NO recognised video card or driver EVEN though it is there. How is it I shouldn't go to NVIDEA. They made the thing.
    'eh this is a joke. Ya know.

JV
    JV
    RE: Video card location RE CJ 2008/10/27 22:50:50 (permalink)
    I've re-read the thoughful and concerned posts regarding my SP3 diss-cum-bomb-u-lation. I have to no avail, fixed the problem. ALSO all avenues of updating via Windows has not only been "0", but get this.... NO HELP FROM WINDOWS because it says the "Windows Update" can NOT be OPENED, due to error. ALSO, ALL help associated with FIXES of same (apparently a very painful and repeating cust. complaints relating to their SP3) will not load because Windows cannot open them.
    So boys, (girls included) I've found it very interesting that Windows, who CHARGE for assistance, will NOT be charging during this upgrade issue. HUH?
    OK, so I did MY best not to be NASTY, well, maybe not my best (wasn't in the mood anymore) and wrote Windows my issues. I will keep you informed of same. Thanks to all like CJ,SC99,K999 and more, for all your help. So here is where I am now for all those that make the SAME mistake as I have:
    INCIDENT DETAILS (portion here they sent me) Printed with permission (mine)
    ==============================

Incident title: re: SP3 up(HA HA)GRADE KILLED MY COMPUTER!!!!!

Support request number: 108309****

Severity rating: Severity C (Minimum business impact) >>>>>(check that out, MIN biz impact???? Who are they to say????)<<<<<

Type of response: Email to fretlessjv********

Response time: For server, professional, and developer products, response times are 8 business hours. For all other products
    24 Hrs.
    =================================================================================
    So tell me gang, is XP PRO, PRO?? or is it "all other products? I have XP Pro...let's see.
    Will keep you informed of progress, if any or not.
    JV

JV
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1