Fingerpicking technique

Author
Schlep_Math
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 167
2008/10/25 14:43:41 (permalink)

Fingerpicking technique

I'm new to fingerstyle / fingerpicking.
I started learning how to do this about 2 months ago.
I'm extremely green when it comes to this stuff. But I've noticed that the things I am learning, regarding finger picking in combination with open tunings, is throwing me far beyond the stages I would have expected.

I know only a percentage of you are going to understand what I'm saying, but since I've learned how to fingerpick, a whole new musical world has opened up to me.
I've always tuned my guitar to strange tunings, then finally settled on open D, (minor)... But the ability to use your fingers independently in such a tuning brings so many opportunities to the fret board. I'd always been a pick guy. I could practically toss my picks in the trash now....

Well, I've been practicing, and although I'm not that good, I'm asking for some folks in here to let me know what I'm doing wrong/right with fingerstyle. I'm providing a video below. If anyone could let me know how to get the notes cleaner and more precise, more definite, I would be hugely appreciative.

Here's something I wrote and recorded on video (on my myspace page):
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.showvids&friendID=9149120&n=9149120&MyToken=234031e7-a6a8-46ac-897e-96b58b63797d

Go to the vid labeled "Life In A Photograph".

Let me know what I can do to improve.
Thanks,
J.

14 Replies Related Threads

KenJr
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    RE: Fingerpicking technique 2008/10/26 01:58:51 (permalink)
    no tricks - practice. you are definitely on the right track...

My Gear/Studio Pics
    My Music

<--Yes, that's a Paul Reed Smith acoustic...and I want one!!
    spacey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Fingerpicking technique 2008/10/26 10:19:57 (permalink)
    Wrong/right...that's a tuff one to call..who's to say?

What I may offer after viewing video;

Jerry Reed and Chet were the writers/players that I enjoyed covering. Allman's "Little Martha", Triump's "Midsummers Daydream". I give these examples because what I noticed first off in your video was the "droning" bass. Cool but not as interesting and enjoyable (to me) as a well arranged fingerstyle.

Hope this helps you,
    Michael
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: Fingerpicking technique 2008/10/26 11:44:32 (permalink)
    J

As michael says.right / worng .....who's to say.....!!???

However when it comes to finger style there is a wealth of information out there to be had.........I am amazed at all the videos on the internet now a days.in fact it is information overload...........However......here are some of my 2 cent suggestions......

there are severa; directions you can branch out in to accomplish your goals..........
    But the first and the very first I would say is go find your self a top notch "classic guitar teacher".........I know , I know it may mean you will have to learn how to read music but!!!!! the technique you will learn can be used in ANY style of playing and any direction you wish to go in the future.... for example........as I watched you thumb play.......it was just swiping at the bass string..........in order to get more control both dynamically and technique you need to learn how to use a supported (rest ) stroke as well as a unsupported (free ) stroke.....this will give you the percision you are looking for as well as the dynamics (loid vs soft) vs cleanness vs the precision to hit a proper bass line............also your thumb is playing in "Lute" technique......not a guitar technique...........now if you want to do Barouque music this may be fine ........but if you want to further your self then you need the upgrade......

Like Michael said......and I agree you should develop that bass line........now do not get me wrong....a drone bass line is a good thing.........at times......but it should be mixed in with other type of lines..........

People you should listen to are ( and I am going to try not to label these people but in some cases the label will fit and some will not so please take them LOOSELY) Chet Atkins.........country / jazz / all around one of the absolute with out question best fingerstylest players todate.....he covers a LOT of different styles with ease and authority and musicallity.........David Russell Classical guitarist........totally top notch.......VERY Percise.....very musical......an absolute wonder to listen to and to see live..........Andres Segovia......top notch classical guitarist dead on..................very early James Taylor.....develops his bass lines with very intricate rhythmic and melodic passages..........Joe Pass.......jazz guitarsit ........plays with pick and fingers.........Lenny breu.......jazz guitarist..............all types of american blues pickers like elizabeth cotton, John Hurt, stephen grossman, ...blind lemon jefferson......etc........

these are just a very small handful of players I can name........(I can go on for hours!!!)

but search out the internet...........take some lessons..............learn to read standard notation (and TAB)........go hang out at some quality cd (in my day record ) record shops that will let you listen to the music before you buy.............

try to learn.......alternate bass lines..........walking bass lines...........pedal tones (drone ) bass lines............etc so that you develop into a more well rounded player...........

Listen to the flat pickers and old bluegrass players....................listen to a lot of the players on this board like Larry Hanson who is very very good and puts out very clean playing............

these are only a handful of suggestions I can offer...........

Good Luck...........and if you need more direction / help just call out

Cliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: Fingerpicking technique 2008/10/26 14:46:22 (permalink)
    In addition, pay attention to what Lindsay Buckingham does. I think he's my all time favorite rock fingerpicker. Damn genius.

Halexx
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Fingerpicking technique 2008/10/26 14:48:13 (permalink)
    Song is nice.

Playing fingerstyle mean that you control the dynamics of the bass, mids part, and melody with the pressure of each finger.I would suggest you play the melody and bass parts louder, and the mids softer.

Also, fingernail can produce a more brillant , distinc and percussive attack sound that you may like if you try.

Good work!
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Fingerpicking technique 2008/10/26 17:15:42 (permalink)
    Hi J, nice tune, it will be good to see you you develop it song wise from here. With regard to your fingerpicking technique, Cliff (Truckermusic) has correctly spotted that your thumb / bass technique needs to change and I think I can see where the problem lies in that area for you. You are playing with the palm of your right hand virtually touching the body of your guitar, so your fingers, particularly your thumb, are addressing the strings almost parallel with them. If you pull your palm away from the body of the guitar, your fingers are suddenly able to address the strings more efficiently and your thumb then has the capability to play any string efficiently. You need to look at some youtube stuff to see what im getting at here. BTW I'm no John Williams or Julian Bream myself but learned fingerpicking first as a young boy of 12 /13 before moving on to more rock / pick based stuff, and the technique I learned all those years ago still stands me in good stead to this day, the important thing is to not to let a restricted technique burn into your muscle memory which may stall your improvement because your musicality is great.

On a rock basis, you can't go wrong with looking at Mark Knopfler as well as Lindsay Buckingham.

Good Luck

Garry Kiosk

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    KenJr
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    RE: Fingerpicking technique 2008/10/26 17:23:09 (permalink)
    Trucker,

I've got an extra keyboard I'm happy to send your way...I think the period key is stuck on yours.

My Gear/Studio Pics
    My Music

<--Yes, that's a Paul Reed Smith acoustic...and I want one!!
    Truckermusic
    RE: Fingerpicking technique 2008/10/26 19:48:10 (permalink)
    Ken Jr
    Trucker,

I've got an extra keyboard I'm happy to send your way...I think the period key is stuck on yours.

thanks for the offer .......................the multiple period and the misspellings are my trade mark....LOL!!!!

but Hey........it was great of you to offer ....... I thank you very much..........

Trucker

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Truckermusic
    RE: Fingerpicking technique 2008/10/26 20:06:26 (permalink)
    J
    Everyone is handing you very good advice..........I think what Gary is trying to say.(and I hope I am interperting him correctly) and the way I learned is this ...
    Put your ring finger on the high E string
    Put your middle finger in the B string
    put your index on the G string
    As you stroke thru the the string you are going to start from the inside corner (left side of finger and fingernail) where the finger and finger nail meet and stroke THRU THE STRING to about the middle point of flesh (finger tip) and nail. this will be your point of release for the fingers.......so nail strength and length are important......
    put your tumb on the D string ahead of your fingers so that when you look down between your index finger and thumb you should see a "V" formed........ your fingers should move 9stroke) from the BIG KNUCKLE in the back of your hand..(kind of like waving Bye Bye).......swinging like a pendulumn..........the thumb should be taught to work both from the big knuckle stiff joint / and stiff knuckle / soft joint so that you have a choice of tone produced by both types of techniques...........at first I know that this will be uncomfortable HOWEVER.......
    Proper technique is proper technique.......this will allow you to advance so be patient and pratice untill it feels very natural and soon you will be tearing it up........

Cliff

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Schlep_Math
    RE: Fingerpicking technique 2008/10/27 08:08:16 (permalink)
    Wow.. I didn't realize there was so much involved in this. I hadn't thought of any of that stuff.
    As far as the bass-line goes, I hadn't even really thought of the notes as bass-line notes. I mean, they obviously are, but the way I integrated them were just as part of the melody.
    In this particular song, I can't change the structure of the bass-line without changing the structure of the whole melody because of the pattern... unless I alternate between the D and A, or both D's. The advice on my hand placement might make that easier now that you guys mention it.
    I've written some other songs that have a different pattern altogether, and the bass notes are actually bass notes. In this particular song, I was just going for the pattern and melody as a whole, as it will be used in a song that has other accompaniment such as bass, drums, etc.
    I don't know if that makes sense or not.

Anyway, thanks for the resources and insight.
    I look forward to putting all of your suggestions into practice.
    Thanks!

J.

Schlep_Math
    RE: Fingerpicking technique 2008/10/27 16:59:45 (permalink)
    Holy crap... I somehow feel that you guys are setting the bar a bit high by suggesting I try and study some of the folks you've listed. lol...
    I don't think I'm ready just yet.
    I should probably go ahead and do like someone suggested and get a tutor.
    The whole thing just seems like it could get in the way of my creativity somehow. I guess I could enjoy learning how to do things correctly, but I never really gauged my musical ability in terms of what's accepted as standard. I don't know if I'll benefit from changing that or not.
    I could definitely benefit from learning ways to do things differently, but trying to abide by a standard just feels like I'm getting away from myself, if you know what I mean. Not just in mentality and method, but in function and output, ultimately.
    I don't know what to view as something that can add to what I'M doing, as opposed to something I can do to add to what everyone else is doing.

I could be flawed in that whole thought process.
    It's happened before.

Thanks for the insights though.
    J.

Halexx
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Fingerpicking technique 2008/10/27 17:55:21 (permalink)
    I believe the objective with technique is not to assimile ourself to a standard, but learning how to articulate the music so that the message, emotion, ambiance,etc get more chance to be heard, feeled, etc.

Some people are gifted and their message(move people) come across easily, others(like mysekf) needs to learn from what the others did before me, ans then practice!!!

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Fingerpicking technique 2008/10/27 19:46:50 (permalink)
    I bought an instructional DVD by Stefan Grossman recently... he's did a great job.

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Fingerpicking technique 2008/10/28 19:12:30 (permalink)
    I think your playing is excellent, and the song is very beautiful.

Don't think I can offer much insight. If you are just starting then you probably have pretty tender fingers on your picking hand. As they toughen up you'll get more attack on the string. Also experiment with where you place the hand in relation to bridge versus neck position. You can get a lot of tonal variety that way. Alot of your tone is also going to come from your fretting hand, as in how you nuance the strings as they are fretted.

How much of what you want improved is playing technique versus recording technique? Proper mike technique, eq, reverb and compression go a long way to make your sound shine or die in the mud.

When you get some more songs going, post them over at the songs forum so we can hear them.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1