How to let people download my music

Author
kmillah
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
2008/10/25 17:44:26 (permalink)

How to let people download my music

Hi,

I'm close to finishing my first full album with Sonar, but intead of posting a CD to those (few, I know) people that actually care to listen to it, it is there a way to send it via the internet?

I don't really want to email it as the file would be pretty damn big unless compressed to nothing, so the only thing that I can think of is file sharing sites. And I'm just not overly comfortable going in that direction blind!! I'd just like to be able to send a link to someone and let them download from there.

Any thoughts?

6 Replies Related Threads

kb420
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1839
    RE: How to let people download my music 2008/10/25 17:46:16 (permalink)
    Your music should be among the clouds!!!!!!

http://soundcloud.com/

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: How to let people download my music 2008/10/25 17:50:31 (permalink)
    Yousendit.com

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: How to let people download my music 2008/10/25 17:54:50 (permalink)
    Try soundclick. I use it. click my sig to see it. you can have fre download or paid downloads or just have peeps listen
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: How to let people download my music 2008/10/25 18:12:19 (permalink)
    Downloading an entire CD would be quite a task for some users...A typical .wav file requires about 10MB per minute of audio. Even MP3 compression (at a decent resolution) is going to result in fairly large files. You should consider posting your material on a per-song basis. The link provided by agincourtdb would be a good start. I'm not familiar with the link suggested by kb240 so I can't offer any recommendation there.

If you're wanting to "charge" folks for the downloads, you'll want to consider other sources. Some sites such as Soundclick offer such options. I'm no expert on any of these things because I don't upload music for public consumption. I upload via FTP servers that are client specific and no money is exchanged in the process. Have you considered subscribing to a web-hosting service that would provide you with your own website?

Regards,
    Papa
    kmillah
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: How to let people download my music 2008/10/25 18:30:05 (permalink)
    Ha ha ha...... Charge people?

Well it's a thought, but then they'd probably start asking for their basses, guitars and other such stuff back!!!

I'm really only thinking of friends and family, so it would always be free from me, so I'd rather not be subscribing to any web hosting service. It was just a way to save burning it to disc, posting it for someone only to convert it to mp3 for their ipod anyway.

I'm looking into soundcloud and soundclick at the moment. Thanks for the pointers.
    thegeek
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    RE: How to let people download my music 2008/10/26 05:34:51 (permalink)
    If you simply want to provide links - no artist profiles not nothing you can also check out boxstr.com!
    You register for free,and the good thing is you can provide hot links to your friends - so they can download or even "stream" your tunes from the internet!
    Combining this service with a free web host service of few megs is my way of having roughly set up my own web site with downloadable tunes!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1