Widscreen LCD Resolution

Author
WDI
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2069
2008/10/25 17:58:10 (permalink)

Widscreen LCD Resolution

I've been using a 22" Samsung Widescreen LCD (SynMaster 225BW) for some time now as one of my monitores. The problem is due to LCD monitors native resolution. For instance this particular monitors native resolution is 1680x1050. Running the monitor at the native resolution gives the most crisp image. However, as you may guess, this makes everything extremely small. For a long time I just ignored the native resolution and ran the monitor resolution 1152x864 at which was really the only resolution available that gave a pretty clear picture without making everything so small. However, the picture was not as crisp as running the monitor at the native resolution and also was slightly streched. I've researched the issue as much as can and have found some work arounds for making things look larger even when running at the native resolution. Settings I've changed in XP to help resolve the issue

Display Properties/Appearance/Effects
- ClearType
- Large Icons

Display Properties/Settings/Advanced
- DPI setting: Custom

Conrol Panel/Mouse/Pointers
- Scheme = Windows Standard (extra large)

Conrol Panel/Mouse/Pointers Options
- Increased the pointer speed

This has fixed a lot of the small diplay problems as far as menues, etc. However, many applications such as Sonar still display much of the text very small. Even though I can live with that, it would be nice to be able to adjust the resolution to my liking just like using a CRT. Also, Sonars display at the bottom where CPU usage etc is all messed up now and only half of the text appears, etc. Anybody have any suggestions? I guess I could just ignore the native resolution of the monitor, but like I said, it's just not quite as clear as when the monitor is run at the native resolution.

Sonar 7 PE
Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO

5 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Widscreen LCD Resolution 2008/10/25 18:15:08 (permalink)
    it's just not quite as clear as when the monitor is run at the native resolution.

LCDs are like that. You may want to adjust the font size and see if that is better under the native res.

Best
    John
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Widscreen LCD Resolution 2008/10/25 18:16:18 (permalink)
    What was that john?? Waht did you type?? I cannot see it. Try using this tool Im sorry.....
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Widscreen LCD Resolution 2008/10/25 19:03:29 (permalink)
    In this case maybe I should be a little more explicit on this. Under display by right clicking on the desktop if you are running XP it display properties. In Vista its personalize. There you got to the display tab and set the font to a size that is workable. It can be a standard size or a percentage. This will impact all apps. More or less. LOL

Best
    John
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: Widscreen LCD Resolution 2008/10/25 19:48:41 (permalink)
    If you think 1680x1050 on a 22" monitor is small, try 1920x1200 on a 17" which is what I run on my laptop. When it comes to fitting more of Sonar on the screen, the actual size of the monitor is not as important as the resolution. The higher the resolution, the more you can fit on the screen. But...as you are experiencing...the trade-off is font size. My work-around - which may seem funny - is a pair of reading glasses. Reading glasses enlarge the screen and make a significant difference. I don't need reading glasses (and can read my monitor fine without them), but they really make a difference and reduce eye strain. They are cheap too.
    WDI
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2069
    RE: Widscreen LCD Resolution 2008/10/26 01:41:23 (permalink)
    Original: John

You may want to adjust the font size and see if that is better under the native res.

Basically adjusting the DPI settings does the same thing. However, neither really fix the issue. All the menues etc look fine in Sonar. It's everything else, still remains miniscule. Also adjusting DPI/Font settings mess up some other areas of the application as mentioned in my previous post. Native resolution is fine if your sitting a foot from the screen. But we have the monitors mounted on a wall hanging over a mixing board and often I'm several feet away.

Original: guitartrek

My work-around - which may seem funny - is a pair of reading glasses.

I thought that was funny! Maybe I could wear a magnifying glass on my head.

Well, I guess it sounds like I need to just accept all the limitations of native resolution of LCD monitors with the work arounds or run it at the one pretty acceptable non native resolution and accept the little bit of fuzziness and stretching. It's hard for me to accept that they can't find a better working model for LCD resolutions. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't like these limitations which were never present with CRTs.
    post edited by WDI - 2008/10/26 02:08:12

Sonar 7 PE
    Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
    MSI K8N Neo4-F
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2 GB PC 3200 Ram
    RME Fireface 800
    Edirol FA-66
    CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1