Upgrade questions- 7PE to 8 Studio?

Author
koolkeys
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 142
2008/10/25 19:14:45 (permalink)

Upgrade questions- 7PE to 8 Studio?

I'm trying to decide what is best for me. I have Sonar 7PE, but would love to take advantage of some of the performance improvements, instrument tracks, etc. in Sonar 8. But I don't really need the effects and instruments as I already have all I need. So I have a few questions:

* Will the WaveRT support give me better performance than ASIO4ALL, or at least comparable?
* I already have V-Vocal in PE7. Will it stop working if I get the Studio version?
* Does anyone know if the Audiosnap works on all tracks now in Studio? I thought it used to be limited in the studio version.
* Does ACT work the same way in Studio as it does in Producer? Any limitations?
* Will Vintage Channel from Producer 7 work in Studio 8?

I appreciate any help. I don't have much money and will have to sell something just to afford upgrading. So I don't want to buy PE if I won't need it. Thanks!

Brent

9 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Upgrade questions- 7PE to 8 Studio? 2008/10/25 19:45:13 (permalink)
    I never saw the point in going from producer to studio. you lose way to much stuff. Way too much stuff. Yuo cant continue to use the producer exclusive stuff such as vvocal or audiosnap with multiple tracks and the list goes on and on with the stuff youll lose that you already paid for.
    Just dont update if you cant afford it. dont update, just to update.. Or wait until you can afford producer.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Oaf_Topik
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2105
    RE: Upgrade questions- 7PE to 8 Studio? 2008/10/25 19:51:56 (permalink)
    CJay makes a valid point. I'd wait to upgrade to Producer. You'll lose VVocal, and POWr dither, to be sure, since they are not plugins. The Vintage Channel might work, but I'm not sure on that.
    koolkeys
    RE: Upgrade questions- 7PE to 8 Studio? 2008/10/25 20:02:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies. I had asked about things like ACT and Audiosnap being limited because it doesn't mention those being limited on the Sonar Exclusives page. I may miss another couple features or so, but those two are important to me.

I'm definitely not upgrading JUST to upgrade, but because I'm very interested in the performance increases, instrument tracks, new grouping options, and WASAPI support, and more. Some very cool things in there. I just don't need the added plugins.

Brent
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Upgrade questions- 7PE to 8 Studio? 2008/10/25 20:08:20 (permalink)
    Wait until you can get producer.
    it doesn't mention those being limited on the Sonar Exclusives page.

Allot and many others are. Yuoll be kicking yourself.

I'm definitely not upgrading JUST to upgrade, but because I'm very interested in the performance increases, instrument tracks, new grouping options, and WASAPI support, and more. Some very cool things in there. I just don't need the added plugins.

About performance. If you cant get good performance in 7, you wont in 8. Instrument track, you can do without for a bit. New grouping options. An extra click here and there isnt going to kill you, WASAPI, no thanks, i already had sushi

Those things are cool, but youll lose even cooler things and if soanr 7 is working, theres no rush. Cause with a few extra clicks, you can do some of what you listed..
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    koolkeys
    RE: Upgrade questions- 7PE to 8 Studio? 2008/10/25 20:27:00 (permalink)
    Thanks Cj. I think what you are saying is that those new features aren't worth losing other features to get?

Don't misunderstand me. I'll upgrade to one version or another because I do want the improvements. I just wanted to check and see what I would be missing that wasn't mentioned. But you're right, I would lose too much. It will be worth upgrading to PE instead.

I get pretty good performance in Sonar 7, but any improvement is better. On the fly arming, switching interfaces without closing Sonar, the mouse alignment thingy, etc. are things that will immediately improve my workflow, among other things.

So I think my mind is made up to upgrade to PE. It may not happen right away. I'm not selling my wife or anything to get it. But there's always something that I don't need sitting around somewhere. I just have to convince myself that I'm never going to use those things.

Brent
    JavaMan
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Upgrade questions- 7PE to 8 Studio? 2008/10/26 11:47:05 (permalink)
    Producer to Studio ??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!

Sorry for screaming so loud, just trying to help you stick with your decision to go for the producer upgrade.
    post edited by JavaMan - 2008/10/26 11:51:59
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Upgrade questions- 7PE to 8 Studio? 2008/10/26 12:17:00 (permalink)
    So I think my mind is made up to upgrade to PE.

Whewww. I thought i had lost you over this battle....
    Cj

Audio Blog
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: Upgrade questions- 7PE to 8 Studio? 2008/10/26 13:10:41 (permalink)
    V-Vocal in 7 wont work in 8 its tied to the code of the program and is not a plugin.
    While VC-64 is a plugin it wont work in version 8 studio. It too is hard coded to only operate in the Producer version.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    VinylJunkie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 939
    RE: Upgrade questions- 7PE to 8 Studio? 2008/10/26 13:48:12 (permalink)
    There was a thread about going from Producer to Studio a while ago.

CLICK HERE.

There was confusion about what features would or wouldn't be available. I tend to agree with the responses in this thread that if you have Producer, upgrade to Producer.

VJ
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1