I need a new Sampler: I know this subject has been beaten to pulp,...

Author
jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
2008/10/25 20:07:36 (permalink)

I need a new Sampler: I know this subject has been beaten to pulp,...

Saturday eve

Time to get a new sample player/editor.

Been using Vsampler 3.5, and this past year a bit of Dimension, and,...

Getting some new samples for new projects and I want to start learning a program that will continue to be supported, by a company that will prolly exist for a while to support the program.

And way too many choices: Independence, Kontact, free stuff,.....

Currently using SP7.03. Soon S8.

I have a bunch of HAlion samples, AKAI, and a few piles of other stuff. And some of mine.

What do ya'll recommend?

J

==============================

Remember, when you are working with your music, do not forget to use your index finger on your right hand to click your left button on your mouse to hi-lite your clip in your song on your monitor. And then use your ring finger (or your middle finger) on your right hand to click your right button on your mouse to display your context menu so you can choose from your choices to change your clip in the way you want to,...

And then when you are happy that you did what you wanted to process your clip in your song, click FILE on your menu in your program to save your project to your hard-drive in the folder you want to use to keep all your stuff.

10 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: I need a new Sampler: I know this subject has been beaten to pulp,... 2008/10/25 21:18:50 (permalink)
    I like to use SFZ. It's a free soundfont player.

get it here: http://www.project5.com/products/instruments/sfz_player/default.asp

get free fonts by googling.. "free sound fonts" you'll find hundreds of free...high quality sound fonts...

I use SFZ on all my songs for pianos and bass.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: I need a new Sampler: I know this subject has been beaten to pulp,... 2008/10/26 02:30:02 (permalink)
    Well, gigastudio is definately out! And I'd stay away from HALion as well... Really, the only game in town these days (in terms of a complete package with broad industry support) is Kontakt. There are some REALLY FREAKIN' COOL PRODUCTS OUT THERE THAT USE THE KONTAKT ENGINE (especially its scripting capabilities). Prominy guitars, SCARBEE basses, Bela D libraries, Orange Tree Samples, Sample Modelling, and many others...

For AKAI import I think K3 only supports Sx000 series disks. You'd need an external converter for older AKAI disks. Or you could import to VSampler and save-as soundfont, I think!

HALion import shouldn't be a problem as long as they're not protected monolithic files.

lightninrick
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    RE: I need a new Sampler: I know this subject has been beaten to pulp,... 2008/11/02 22:30:44 (permalink)
    I agree that Kontakt is the best game in town at this point, both in terms of features and the range of 3rd party content that's available.

Regards, lightninrick
    jm24
    RE: I need a new Sampler: I know this subject has been beaten to pulp,... 2008/11/03 10:43:21 (permalink)
    Thank you for the guidance.

J
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: I need a new Sampler: I know this subject has been beaten to pulp,... 2008/11/09 20:21:18 (permalink)
    Kontakt is the one to beat.. BUT Independence pro.. the instruments are better on it, from a review that's in CM mag.

I use Kontakt myself, but because I wanted a few of the NI synths buying the whole lot as komplete saved me money in the long run.

I did a fair bit of research into the others as well , halion and the emu sampler etc.

remember halion probably needs a usb key for the license (cubase 4 does and the trial of halion did)

Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    RE: I need a new Sampler: I know this subject has been beaten to pulp,... 2008/11/10 08:06:05 (permalink)
    Shortcircuit should open AKAI and is pretty good. Try it and see if you'll like it. It won't cost you anything since it's free

http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    jm24
    RE: I need a new Sampler: I know this subject has been beaten to pulp,... 2008/11/10 10:11:08 (permalink)
    Thank you for the responses.

I tested Independence. But I am not going to become the "Keeper of the Dongle." So away it goes.

Still using Vsampler for now.

I do not use the effect in the sampler. Just easier to have most stuff in sonar.

I have done a bit of sample editing.

And I do need import and mapping functionality.

Although I will continue to test and research, I prolly am going to continue using VS until I cannot.

And so on.

J

===============================

Challenge yourself daily:

Today stop using "UP" phrases and words, you will be a better person for it:

act up, add up, backup, break up, broke up, build up, caught up, choke up, cleanup, close up, cook up, cooped up, crop up,

cut up, doctor up, dry up, fed up, fill up, finish up, fired up, frame up, freshen up, going up, heal up, heat up, hold up,

hook up, knock up, look up, make up, mark up, match up, measure up, mop up, open up, patch up, pick up, pony up, push up,

rachet up, ramp up, roll up, round up, run up, shrivel up, screw up, set up, settle up, shut up, smash up, stack up, suck

up, sum up, throw up, tighten up, trim up, tune up, turn up, wait up, warm up, wind up, wipe up, work up, wrap up
    jm24
    RE: I need a new Sampler: I know this subject has been beaten to pulp,... 2008/11/10 10:26:47 (permalink)
    As Heinlein wrote, "Anything free is worth what you paid for it."

And, actually, nothing is free. Everything uses time, which is the only real currency; 'tis very limited. So, I am slow to decide upon new software.

Shortcircuit, has been discontinued. I do not want to learn something that will not work with the next version of Sonar. (example: Revalver SE will not work the 64 bit engine.)

As I get older I recognize I do not want to start a new learning curve unless it will be reasonable and long lived. know very little of other DAW software because I do not want to spend way too much time there when I could invest that time here with Sonar.

Yet, I have purchased/installed Acid studio for my grandchildren. And Chief Architect. Both programs are powerful "beginner" programs that will be upwardly compatible for many years. So, I have had to learn a bit about both to help them learn how to follow the tutorials,...

Given Sonar's years of development the learning curves it provides are varied. Some are very long and frustrating. Some are steep and quickly gratifying. And some are not to be started (e.g.: I am not interested in learning Cyclone, yet).

Choosing a sample player/editor is to be done carefully. Although the end result may be worth the journey, limited time demands a proper selection.

And so on.

=================

=====================================================
    FYI:

This is a current example of how a phrase comes to mean the opposite of its original meaning.

------------------------------

Learning Curve

Learning Curves do not directly correlate with stairs and hills.

The "Learning curve" is plotted as a line on a graph as "comprehension/understanding/learning" (y axis) and "time" (x axis).

The difficult part of the curve (the flat part) is the time endured getting to the steep part.

The steep part of the curve is the GOOD part of the curve.

The steeper the line the more learning is occurring in a shorter period of time.

Hence a "steep learning curve" means EASY to learn. Much happiness, relief, and rejoicing very soon.

A "long learning curve" means lots of learning before feel joy.

------------------------------

An example of a phrase originating in 1800's: "You have your work cut out for you," was a good thing. It meant the person

did not ALSO have to cut the cloth before sewing it together. Now the phrase is meant as a bad occurrence.

Amazing how we all let ignorance prevail, repeatedly.

And way too often help it find refuge and sustenance.

Ad minimum, Ad nausem, A men.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: I need a new Sampler: I know this subject has been beaten to pulp,... 2008/11/10 12:37:13 (permalink)
    Legion, I do suggest SC a lot if people want a freebie, but wasn't sure if it supported the older Akai series (the original and best versions, before they got different people in that made a pigs ear of them)
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    RE: I need a new Sampler: I know this subject has been beaten to pulp,... 2008/11/10 15:12:39 (permalink)
    Not sure neither... This is what it says on Vemberaudio's website "AKAI S5000/S6000/Z4/Z8 .akp banks (partial)".

It don't seem to support DFD though for larger sample-sets.

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1