Routing Midi to TTS-1

Author
keyboard
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
2008/10/26 02:36:53 (permalink)

Routing Midi to TTS-1

Hello,
I'm using Sonar 7 Producer and have a question regarding mapping midi to soft synth, in particular Cakewalk TTS-1.

I successfully mapped each midi track (from a midi song I downloaded) and set them all to Cakewalk TTS-1. They play fine and I can control the volume from within the TTS-1 plugin panel.

However, I cannot change the volume using my SBlaster mixer once I do this. If I leave all midi to output to sound card, I can control volume via synth control on mixer. Once I map to TTS this no longer has any effect. I believe there's a way to reroute all the tracks to another audio track with stereo-out and then be able to control it via mixer's wave setting.

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks.
Rob

4 Replies Related Threads

VinylJunkie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 939
    RE: Routing Midi to TTS-1 2008/10/26 06:18:47 (permalink)
    If I've understood correctly, No.

If I leave all midi to output to sound card, I can control volume via synth control on mixer.

Which means you are no longer using the TTS-1, but the Soundblaster synth.

Try using the main volume control on the Soundblaster instead of the wave setting.

Why do you want to do this anyway?

VJ
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: Routing Midi to TTS-1 2008/10/26 08:13:13 (permalink)
    Once you map to TTS-1 then you can only adjust the Windows mixer on either the Wave and or Main outputs as its (your project) no longer using the Windows Synth.

The reason is that you are controlling the Audio output by the TTS-1 's audio track and not the output sent throught the Windows GS Synth. Does that make sense for you?

When using my onboard sound card on my Office PC I typically have the Mixer show Volume Control, Wave, SW Synth, Cd Player, Line In. You should be able to select or deselct what shows by the Options Properties Tab of the Windows Audio Mixer where you can also select the Playback or Recording Applet.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: Routing Midi to TTS-1 2008/10/26 08:25:32 (permalink)
    Ideally you would only use your Wndows (soundblaster) mixer to set maximum levels that stop short of any distorion in your monitor chain. Once these are set you really should control your volume form within SONAR because this is where your meters are.

Your SONAR master outs are connected to your Hardware outputs which are represented in the Windows Mixer by the Volume control. As in the SONAR mixer whcih can have busses between the tracks and the outputs so your Windows mixer has busses that route sound to its Main output (volume Level)
    Busses are the Wav, SW Synth, CD Player, Line In etc level controls.

If you've never tried it you can route signals from all of these sources simultaneously and create quite a "noise". If you set SONAR to share its Audio driver you could playback in SONAR as well as an MP3 through Windows Media Player and route them both out of the Windows mixer. Of course in a real life situation there probably is no purpose for ever doing this other than to illustrate the buss architecture within the Mixer. YOu could do the same in SONAR by importing a couple of unrelated Mp3's into the same project on seperate tracks and then press play. What a cacophany.

Hope I have made it clearer rather than more complex. It can take a bit to get your head around it all. All the best

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    keyboard
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Routing Midi to TTS-1 2008/10/26 15:01:05 (permalink)
    Thank you guys. It's a bit clearer. I think the thing that has me confused is that I started a project on my laptop (with SigmaTel sound) and when I set up TTS for the midi tracks I was able to control sound volume via the TTS control panel in addition to the Windows (standard) mixer. I was able to affect the volume using the main volume AND the wave volume control. So, even though I understand that the final mix will be controlled by the TTS panel, I was able to amplify the sound (speaker sound) via Windows mixer. OK, that's part 1

I brought the project to my home desktop and while it still played fine and TTS was fine, my Creative/SB Mixer did not affect the volume other than the main volume control - i.e. the wave control had no affect in this case.

I guess it all comes down to me trying to understand all the routing stuff and why it operates differently on both setups. I know the hardware has A LOT to do with it. I would still love to learn how to get it to work via wave control, though.

Thank you VERY much for your time, patience, and assistance!

Rob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1