sync drums to midi

Author
drilldoc
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2008/10/26 04:54:32 (permalink)

sync drums to midi

I recorded an original song for a young lady the other day. I had her play the piano (midi) and sing to the recorded piano track. Piano and singing sounds fantastic, but she requested that I add some drums and guitar and bass during the chorus and such. Guitar and bass are no problem as I play them both, but I don't play drums and adding each part via the piano seems tedious and I'm sure I'll make a mess. Anyway, is there a way to take something like session drummer and sync it to the midi track of the piano? Or is there a plug in for Sonar that can do this? Thanks

1 Reply Related Threads

ChristopherM
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: sync drums to midi 2008/10/26 05:38:06 (permalink)
    sync it to the midi track of the piano?
    The broad answer is "yes". This has to be qualified by saying that how straightforward this is depends upon the nature of the MIDI track for the piano. Synchronisation relies on Sonar having a tempo map for the piece which tracks how the beats per minute vary through the piece, and then uses Meter/Key changes to overlay a measures and beats grid on to the tempo map. The more regular the rhythm in your recording and the more constant the tempo, the easier it is for you to get across to Sonar the pulse and have Sonar create a tempo map to match. You do this by recording a click track from the keyboard whilst you listen to the piece playing back, using your ability to track the time signature and tempo changes and recording one MIDI event per beat. Running Fit to Improvisation on this click track then creates a tempo map that exactly tracks the pulse of the click. You will then need to tell Sonar via the Meter/Key view what time signature (and changes, if any) the piece contains. Take a look at Fit to Improvisation in the help file.

Once you have the tempo map created, synchronising Session Drummer or any other MIDI instrument (software or hardware) is very straightforward.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1