speakers VS headphones

Author
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
2008/10/26 13:02:28 (permalink)

speakers VS headphones

An old topic brought forth again, I am sure, and an introduction of myself to this forum. I hope I am posting in the right place.

Here's my dilemma.

I have some old but what I consider nice monitor speakers. Some JBL 4311 and a pair of Auratone cubes. I have had these both for over 25 years and used them for mixing. Pretty much industry standards back in the 70's and 80's....or at least you some them a lot in studios. I"ve put newer speakers up against them, and honestly, preferred my JBL speakers. The Auratones actually to ME sound great too. Great for low listening.

When the Sony 7506 headphones came out, I LOVED them and bought several pairs. Over the last couple years, I have done almost ALL my tracking and A LOT of mix references using the headphones.

The problem:

I like my headphones so much more. To me, every mix sounds so much better, solo'd tracks...etc, etc.
I am beginning to not like listening over the mains, as it just doesn't sound as good.

Question{s}: anyone else expererience this or even like the sound of cans of monitors? I realize mixing on cans has many problems, but I'm getting I don't like listening on speaks nearly as much. (man...my guitar emulators sound great on cans).
But, I can tell my mixes suffer and to the point I don't really think they're that good anymore. They sound GREAT in cans...but the speakers....eh?

Solution: buck up and use the speakers more?? and it'll still sound good in cans??

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

18 Replies Related Threads

spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/26 14:43:21 (permalink)
    Before I got to the bottom of your post I was going to say "well, as long as your mixes still sound good, what does it matter"? Therein lies the crux of the problem.

You're going to have to buck up and use both, I think. I mix lots in cans as well, mostly due to the fact that I don't want to disturb the household late at night, but also to check fine-tuning. My room isn't tuned, nor do I have the finances to do a proper job. But when it comes to checking overall tone, placement, depth, etc., I refer to my monitors. Then I do a final check on my stereo system and in my car.

I think you need to start using both monitors AND cans. There's nothing wrong with using cans, but as you've experienced, you can't rely on them completely. Of course, if you're not intending on anyone else listening to your stuff, than what do you care? If you do, then you gotta bite the bullet.

I think you've pretty much come to the conclusion on your own. Don't you think?

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/26 14:49:49 (permalink)
    The problem probably lies with the room you're mixing in. I have a similar scenario in as much as I have Tannoy Reveal monitors, which sound fantastic - if I have them cranked loud enough. Mixing at a low-to-reasonable volume means that all the low end in the mix disappears, and I end up over-hyping the bass. So, until I can get the room treated, I'll be doing 75% of my mixing through 'phones.

I agree about amp sims too - tracking my electric guitar through the headphones sounds infinitely better than through the Tannoys, again, because all the low end 'meat' in the sound just isn't audible.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/26 14:50:33 (permalink)
    Same here. Everything sounds better on headphones. Better still on my little Shure SE210 in-ear monitors.

However, the headphones are lying to you. It takes more work to make it sound equally good on monitors, but that's the only way you'll have a chance that the mix will translate to a wide variety of playback systems.

I have a similar problem with studio monitors versus car stereos. When I first bought my current vehicle, I thought the stereo sounded pretty good. That was five years and a couple of monitor upgrades ago. Now, I can barely stand to listen to anything in the car except talk radio and news.

Same with the hi-fi in the rec room. It's got some decent 3-way JBLs with 18" woofers - great for movies, but I rarely listen to music on it anymore. I tend to listen to music for enjoyment on either my studio monitors or the Shure earbuds. Everything else sounds like crap now. It's an unavoidable side-effect of raising your standards for critical listening. Can you imagine how it must be for mastering engineers who listen on $80,000 speakers for their day job? What do they listen to at home?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/26 15:29:23 (permalink)
    What they said.... right on the money.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/26 16:51:59 (permalink)

Me too. But I've learned not to trust them!

Use them to track. Use them for sound design. But don't ever believe that you can mix in them!

--kwgm
    KenJr
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/26 17:04:01 (permalink)

Me too. But I've learned not to trust them!

Use them to track. Use them for sound design. But don't ever believe that you can mix in them!

I wouldn't go that far...I've got some cans and DA that sound kick ass...very accurate representation of the music that translates extremely well.

I mix alot in the cans too because of my environment and with a nice pair designed for accurate listening and good conversion you can get damn close.

The downside of mixing in the cans a lot is you can irreperabily damage your hearing. I mix at low levels and usually only a couple days a week for a few hours so *hopefully* I'll be OK.

That said, I have a nice pair of JBL 4326's that I run everything through as well - but I can take the first pass on the cans and then just tweak out the low-mid's, panning, reverb, etc... on the mains.

To say you can't trust a set of cans and it's impossible to mix on them is ignorant. If you want to try to mix with your HD280's, well, then yes...you're right.

My Gear/Studio Pics
    My Music

<--Yes, that's a Paul Reed Smith acoustic...and I want one!!
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/26 18:00:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KenJr

The downside of mixing in the cans a lot is you can irreperabily damage your hearing. I mix at low levels and usually only a couple days a week for a few hours so *hopefully* I'll be OK.

Yeah

I recently got a pair of over-the-ear, closed back isolation headphones. They sound great, but I've noticed the ringing in my ears has come back. Almost as bad as when I used to play out live. I already have the volume down super low, but it has a way of creeping back up when I'm not looking.

Re: mixing on headphones... I believe the future of music = headphones. When was the last time you saw a kid listening to music on a stereo like we did back in the day *cough wheeze hack*? Kids are all on ipods. Over the next 10 years, I wonder if we're going to see an industry shift toward mixes that are made for headphone listeners (and/or PC speakers). Times are a-changin.

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/26 18:36:26 (permalink)
    thanks for all the replies. I am leaning towards making sure my mixing room can be the best it can be. I have put some effort in it, but honestly have never "tested" it officially to see what's happening. Maybe Ethan Winer's test will show some stuff. In my 12 x 15 mixing room, my back wall is treated pretty decent (actually with a couch, end tables, and full curtains behind that, and the side walls have enough stuff on them to really break up the bouncing 1st reflections.

I am about 8 feet from my main speakers in an equalatoral triangle. Maybe a smaller pair and closer???

How far are you guys from your monitors?

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/26 18:50:32 (permalink)
    Imagine a guy in chair instead of the guitars, and that's..about 3-4 feet at the most.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/26 18:53:13 (permalink)
    How far are you guys from your monitors?

4 feet apart. This was necessary to accommodate dual monitors, which, after I lowered my speakers, were obstructing the direct signal. It means I have to sit back in my chair now, whereas before I had to lean over the desk to get a proper equilateral triangle.
    post edited by bitflipper - 2008/10/26 19:04:32

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    ralphwiggum
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/26 19:23:40 (permalink)
    My opinion is that you should mix through monitors/speakers as opposed through cans. Why? Because most people who listen to your mix will be listening thru speakers and not with headphones.
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/26 22:06:22 (permalink)
    I have my monitors and 4ft. from my head. I have HD280pro headphones which are great for certain components of mixing, such as soloing a track, panning, applying and checking reverbs and delays. But, when its time for applying eq or compression, limiting, I use my monitors. If it sounds good thru the monitors, its sounds better thru the cans. Headphones at volume are too dangerous to me at this point. I stood directly in front of drummers for too many years, and it took a long time for my hearing to get right after I stopped performing live. I take my hearing preservation serious now.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/26 22:09:26 (permalink)
    Previously, I said "me too" .......use monitors not cans... here's my 2 cents as to why:

Speakers.. the stereo kind and headphones are designed to give a certain sound coloration. Generally this coloration is perceived by the human ear to be "sweet".... especially compared to the "flat sounding" reference monitors.

On the other hand, reference speakers are "supposed" to have a flat response... basically not favoring, flavoring or coloring the sound you are hearing...an accurate representation of what you have recorded. So theoretically, you are hearing an unbiased sound...exactly what you should want. Making this "flat sound" actually sounding good, on the reference speakers, should give you a good sounding mix on a wide variety of speaker systems from high end home stereo systems to boom boxes, car stereo speakers to Ipod earbuds.

Use whatever you want to use on the tracking stage of the recording process.... but when mixing do your mixing on flat refernce monitors. When you think you are done, listen to your mix on a variety of other speaker systems BEFORE you release it.... be sure it sounds good on all kinds of speakers.

SIDE NOTE: Above, I mentioned that reference speakers are supposed to be "flat frequency response" ..... however, go to your local pro music department and compare them..... there is a different "coloration" of the sound depending on the model and manufacturer.... go figure!!! They still beat using cans & stereo speakers to mix.

Ditto on the volume levels.... mix at a low to medium level... your hearing will last longer and your ears will not fatigue as quickly at lower volumes...
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/10/26 22:14:28

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/27 00:02:18 (permalink)
    good mixes with headphones only are the exception rather than the rule. headphone mixing usually has several flaws:

1. everything sounds better, so you think the mix is done before it's done.
    2. unnatural stereo field.
    3. emphasizes delay and reverb.
    4. typically not able to reproduce bass correctly (either hyped or lacking).
    5. worse for ear fatigue since your ears are right next to the source and general fatigue as you have plastic stuff on your head.

if you can correct for most of these then you can get a decent mix on headphones. headphones have one advantage and that is they are not affected by lack of acoustic treatment or bad placement like monitors. if you have the option though, decent monitors in a treated room will almost always provide better results.

i would always use headphones as a reference like i would a car stereo but i wouldn't mix on a car stereo or a pair of ipod earbuds either.

- jack the ex-cynic
    KenJr
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/27 00:03:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ralphwiggum

My opinion is that you should mix through monitors/speakers as opposed through cans. Why? Because most people who listen to your mix will be listening thru speakers and not with headphones.

LOL where do you think most people listen to music these days? Maybe in their car or on their PC...but 90% listen on an iPod, Zune, etc...

My Gear/Studio Pics
    My Music

<--Yes, that's a Paul Reed Smith acoustic...and I want one!!
    JavaMan
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/27 09:41:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mixmkr

Solution: buck up and use the speakers more?? and it'll still sound good in cans??

The answer to this question is yes. Headphones are good if you don't have access to monitors (if you learn what your mixes really sound like in the real world i.e. learning how to accomodate your mixes to what may be lacking in the headphone after you reference your mixes in the real world enviorment, car speakers, boom boxes etc). But there is no substitute for monitors in a "well tuned" room. and i say that from having a similar experience to yours after using akg 240's for a few years and getting use to how they sounded, but once i got my room tuned things are the opposite now, i use my headphones for tracking only and mix on my monitors.
    post edited by JavaMan - 2008/10/28 01:39:36
    silvercn
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1238
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/27 15:50:43 (permalink)
    My way so far (and I am by no means an expert !) goes back to what someone else mentioned - phones and then ther car stereo - but taken further I will listen on other common systems that people are using these days; like a decent pair of computer speakers with a woofer on my office computer (I think great sound by the way- listening to CDs and XM Radio on line..) I will take down written notes of tweaks I think need doing after listening on these systems, go back to the studio and redo some things - with phones / occassionally monitors....then try it again. With the relatively cheap cost of CDs, to me this has worked out to be good. I agree with the post about when is the last time the typical listener fired up some high quality speakers? or monitors in a treated room for that matter.
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: speakers VS headphones 2008/10/28 10:23:56 (permalink)
    I have the Sony 7506 headphones, and I like them as well. If I can get my mixes on my monitors to sound reasonably close to what I'm hearing through the cans, then I figure I've done a decent job of it.

I do enjoy fiddling with eq on individual tracks (especially complimentary eq) using the headphones - I prefer to do it that way actually.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1