New Song - Insight

Author
SoulPuppy
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
2008/10/28 01:44:58 (permalink)

New Song - Insight

OK, here is a new one. My friend, Garrin, is singing lead on this one. It's SOOO nice to have a real singer so I can just work on the music.

I really tried to geta good sound from my bass. Please let me know what you think.

Insight

20 Replies Related Threads

DarinBad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 02:33:00 (permalink)
    This is a work in progress, right? It's not sounding bad at all. I'm no expert in this genre' but it seems a bit monotonous at the moment. Garrin has a good voice but needs to practice his timing a bit more on this one. "Rectify the damage from the inside" is a good line. Keep it. The acoustic guitar sounds nice, but the distorted guitar leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. The basics are all there. The groove sounds good to me. The idea has potential (referring to the songwriting). Drums sound nice and are programmed pretty good. And yes, you did a nice job on the bass, most is tight and clicks nicely with the drums and it sounds good. You guys just need to experiment some more on this one. You never know what might happen. It's a good start, but needs some work and inspiration in my opinion. I mean that in a good way. It really has some potential. Just needs some time for some creativity to manifest. Keep at it. I have a feeling that this will be a good one in the end.

AsRock Z77 Extreme4
    CPU INTEL CORE I7 3770K
    32 GB RAM
    RME Fireface 800
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 06:58:31 (permalink)
    I'm always amazed by how loud people's mixes are. Anyway...sounds like the vocals need some reverb or some character. Oh I just notice it's not complete yet...well keep on truckin'...is there an acoustic in there somewhere which is a soundhole mounted mic?
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 08:25:21 (permalink)
    This is a good song. the playing is tight. the singing at 2:19-? is sounding like he's not familiar with the lyric as it's not phrased right or maybe you need to trim that phrase. The acoustic sounds sweet.
    THe bass line is beautiful. It's melodic and gives the song a lot of bounce.
    Darin's right about experimenting. I think the performance is alright (except for that thing around 2:19) but you can play with the vox and the mix a bit. Give yourself a few days to just play. Do "Save as" before you lose anything you don't want to lose.
    It's going to be a killer.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 08:32:27 (permalink)
    SoulPuppy,

I like this song. Has a very modern feel to the song. I agree with Darin about the electric guitar sound it doesn't work for me at the moment. However, I think that might be because I felt the acoustics have no real brightness. Are you using nylon strings on the acoustic? I'd suggest replacing the strings on the acoustic and mic it on the twelvth fret to ensure some of the brightness comes out in the recording. Also, I'd like to suggest you moving the run on vocals a bit more off center because I felt like the two lead parts were stepping on each other. The bass does sound very nice and the drums as well.

Lastly, I really like the effects you've got on the lead vocals as well.

Again, this is a very catchy and creative song. I think with a bit of tweaking you got something here.

Tom
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 10:55:42 (permalink)
    I liked this one Josh. It's a good song in the making. Around 2:21, the vox kinda jumped in a few db louder, you may want to bring that part down a tad. You're buddy can sing. Have him do a couple more takes until it's 'nailed'. Don't let this one drop... it's a good 'un.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    SoulPuppy
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 10:56:24 (permalink)
    Darin - It sounds like I need to give it another listen. I thought I was done. I was going for something a little different with the electric. I play a Les Paus w/ a Marshall stack & I think that gets a little boring at times. (Although that's the best sound in the world to MY ears)

Montezuma - I've been trying to boost the volume of my mixes for a while now. I got nearly all of my tips from these forums. I'm still not very good at it, but there are some very helpful people on here.

Rick - Thanks for the listen. The vocals on the bridge at 2:19 is one of my favorite parts of the song. Maybe I've just listened to it so much that it sounds right to me. We probably should rerecord it. We recorded the vocals the same night we wrote the lyrics. There wasn't much practicing.

Tom - No nylon strings for me. Maybe I'll boost the highs. I added chorus to the electric to give it a different sound. I can take it off.
    SoulPuppy
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 10:58:34 (permalink)
    Thanks, Larry. If we can both find some time, we'll give it another go.
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 11:50:56 (permalink)
    very cool soooo love the feel...my two cents is that the electric guitar (not the lead) and the acoustic are trying to compete for the same "sound-space" (meaning they kinda have the same tone) so I think I'd hunt for another ele-guitar sound and pull them apart mix wise....love the overall feel...kinda got that REM vibe...

really cool
    DarinBad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 12:01:29 (permalink)
    Josh, you need to go with what sounds good to YOU. I only offer an opinion that you can then mix with others' opinions. And keep in mind that this is not my normal genre either. I think the song is good, but that this recording could be better with a little more time and effort. It depends on what you want out of it. Is it something just for fun, or is it something a bit more serious? Personally, I think you guys should persue this one. Again, just my opinion. It's a worthy tune.

AsRock Z77 Extreme4
    CPU INTEL CORE I7 3770K
    32 GB RAM
    RME Fireface 800
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 12:25:05 (permalink)
    Great, raw, rock tune here. I am inclined to agree with others about the vocals. He has a great raspy rock tone, but the timing is a little off in spots. A few questionable notes as well, not too distracting, Nothing a few extra takes wouldn't cure. It is a hard thing to mix acoustic with electric rhythm. I like the electric guitar sound, very classic tone. I think some tweaking to the acoustic sound might go a long way towards blending better. Bass is doing all the right things. Drums sound very natural and convincing. I love the rawness of the track, I think it fits the style rather well. Good stuff man.

Ed Edge

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 13:10:59 (permalink)
    There was also a great deal of distortion in the song (not effects). I would look to the levels a bit.

It needs something... more harmony perhaps. Vocally and musically. It seems to be almost completely melody driven.

The song itself is pretty cool. A bit more work on the production will take it a step higher.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 14:49:23 (permalink)
    Bring the bgvox countermelody out a little more.
    The transition from verse to chorus needs some dynamics.
    The middle eight is cool but is a bit of a mess.
    Loved the outro.
    SoulPuppy
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 15:29:18 (permalink)
    jamesyoyo, thanks for the listen. What is "the middle eight"??? I've heard that before, but I don't know what it means.
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 19:29:05 (permalink)
    Josh,

Sounds like you've got a good groove going on this - it's a solid rocker. You mentioned you're still working on it, so I look forward to hearing the finalized version.

Middle eight is the break you have starting around 2:18, which is eight bars long. I like the drums, the acoustic rhythm, and the bass melody, but the vox, IMO, are a bit off in the mix, at times - I think somebody else mentioned it.

Cool tune,
    Doug

Taylor_514CMy Music:

drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 19:53:07 (permalink)
    A very cool tune. Love the bass line in this tune. The back vocals around 0:42 get lost wish I could hear them a little better and I think the main vox could come up a bit. All in all a great tune. GOOD JOB GUYS!

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 20:16:43 (permalink)
    Josh,
    Sounding good man! Nice job. Got that sweet wah laden guitar in there, that thing has got a good wah voice. Cool vocals, very cool overall vibe to this one. The acoustic guitar is a nice touch.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 20:24:10 (permalink)
    Hey, Josh,
    nice work here, good song. I like the singer, but agree with others that the vox could use a little polishing. and the guitars sound like they're played well, but they're missing some mid/highs. they don't have any clarity.

keep at it - you're moving up!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 20:47:27 (permalink)
    Great tone on that bass. I like the singer, but I would mix him up a little more. The back-ups (vox) are difficult to hear. Nice song.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    Freeze1st
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1213
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 20:54:10 (permalink)
    I really enjoyed hearing this, I don't know if or what kinda effect you are using on the singers vocals but I think you should have him re-record them with a dry clean sound and go from their on adding effects in the mix. It kinda sounds like they were recorded with effects on the mix.. Just my thoughts. I ain't no pro.

I really enjoyed hearing the song. Your new and learning this stuff, and I am semi-new so I can't really give any advice except what little I typed above.

Cool tune! Thanks for the listen

Bobby

MC4,Bossbr1600,Maudio2496,Vista HP, Stinger Electric Guitar,New York Pro Bass, MXL V67
    SoulPuppy
    RE: New Song - Insight 2008/10/28 23:46:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for listening & all of the comments. It really means a lot.

Doug - Ahhhh... middle 8... that makes sense. Thanks. If I can get in touch with Garrin, maybe we'll re-record the vox. We recorded it the night we wrote it.

Kev - Thanks for listening. Those backup vocals are trying to fade in. That's why they are low at times. When I had them up the whole time, it sounded too busy. I wanted to lose them completely, but Garrin liked them. Singers....

Tony - Ha! This is a perfect example of how lazy I am about doing second takes. The lead track has SOOOO many flubs in it I laugh every time I listen. I remember thinking, "Ehhh, it works."

Beagle - Hey, thanks for the listen & all of your help! It is much appreciated. I plan to tinker with the EQ on the acoustic guitars.

Robby - Shouldn't you be busy posting your latest & greatest hit right about now? We're all waiting....

Bobby - All effects were added later. You may be hearing the crappy mic that we used to record the vocals. Thanks a lot for listening.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1