Panning effects?

Author
tcaylor
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 701
2008/10/30 11:56:58 (permalink)

Panning effects?

I seem to be doing more reading than recording/mixing these days but ran across a technique I'm curious as to how to implement. The text I'm reading is related to putting delay on an acoustic guitar and says "Pan the original track to one side and the delay to the other side. The first part of this seems easy enough but how do you pan a delay? Do you have to set up a bus with the effect and pan it that way? What happens if you're using a stereo delay with a mono source?

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic

6 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Panning effects? 2008/10/30 12:40:01 (permalink)
    If I'm understanding what you're talking about, I think what the person who is writing this is tell you is to CLONE a guitar track, then pan one track hard left, the other hard right and then use a delay on ONE of the tracks. that's a common way to add depth to the guitar track in the stereo field.

OR you can accomplish the same thing (maybe this is exactly what he's saying) by using a send to a bus, send the full signal to the bus, but pan the SEND to the hard right while the source track is panned hard left. then put the delay on the bus.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    tcaylor
    RE: Panning effects? 2008/10/30 12:52:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

If I'm understanding what you're talking about, I think what the person who is writing this is tell you is to CLONE a guitar track, then pan one track hard left, the other hard right and then use a delay on ONE of the tracks. that's a common way to add depth to the guitar track in the stereo field.

OR you can accomplish the same thing (maybe this is exactly what he's saying) by using a send to a bus, send the full signal to the bus, but pan the SEND to the hard right while the source track is panned hard left. then put the delay on the bus.

thanks Beagle,

It sounds like cloning the track and adding delay there is a better method. I think that busses are normally combination points to add dynamics, eq and fx for similar instruments and that using a bus for this purpose is overkill and probably results in a confusion of what I'm trying to use busses for, at least, in the general sense. I keep trying to simplify my approach :)

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Panning effects? 2008/10/30 13:17:26 (permalink)
    Personally I don't like that approach at all anyway, but it's a matter of taste. you CAN ingest phase problems doing it that way depending on the delay time and the shapes of the waves.

my personal favorite sound to create a wide stereo depth with guitars is to record the part TWICE. try to record it exactly the same way the 2nd time as you did the 1st time. of course it will not ever be EXACTLY the same, but if you're not close you'll be able to hear differences. once you have recorded both tracks, pan one hard left and the other hard right. voila'! no phase problems, no delay plugin, just plain good sounding!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    tcaylor
    RE: Panning effects? 2008/10/30 15:20:19 (permalink)
    I have the "The SMART guide to Mixing and Mastering Audio Recordings" by Bill Gibson that is accompanied by a dvd with sound examples. One of those is a guitar panned hard left and a 50ms delayed track panned hard right that sounds pretty good. I think I'll try both methods.

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: Panning effects? 2008/10/30 21:07:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

Personally I don't like that approach at all anyway, but it's a matter of taste. you CAN ingest phase problems doing it that way depending on the delay time and the shapes of the waves.

my personal favorite sound to create a wide stereo depth with guitars is to record the part TWICE. try to record it exactly the same way the 2nd time as you did the 1st time. of course it will not ever be EXACTLY the same, but if you're not close you'll be able to hear differences. once you have recorded both tracks, pan one hard left and the other hard right. voila'! no phase problems, no delay plugin, just plain good sounding!

+1 to wide stereo depth with guitars!
    --I've been doing this with mixed (primarily excellent) results.

--Or I'd add some flanger to one guitar (played *EXACTLY* the same).
    --Note I've seemed have more ambiant-chorusy-colored depth sounds by adding the flanger wet, directly from the guitar amp (Roland Cube); rather than using both as dry signals. But then, I DI them because I'm not a stellar hacker.

--Or I add a little tone (treble) to one of the *exact* duplicates.

--I hard pan them, 85-100 LT and 85-100 RT, depending on how crowded these LT and RT extremes are. Some mixers pan the verb down the center (C) as it sinks behind the Lead vox (or such).
    --IOWs, you're ears and spacial logic must discriminate the panning.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    altima_boy_2001
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Panning effects? 2008/10/31 02:13:02 (permalink)
    You can just add the Sonitus Delay to the original track with settings like this:

Adjust the delay amount on the right channel to taste. Experiment with other controls one-at-a-time to see what they do also.

You can use me as your eSoundz referral (altima_boy_2001).
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1