Acoustic Guitar Tracking

Author
tcaylor
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 701
2008/10/30 12:06:22 (permalink)

Acoustic Guitar Tracking

I recently bought a Taylor Big Baby acoustic guitar, one of the cheaper Taylors but cheap is a relative term. I've been experimenting with mics and mic placement and found something I didn't notice before. I get a decent tone with the standard 10-12" from the 12th fret mic placement. I also noticed that I get pretty good tone if I just swivel my chair 90 degrees with the bottom of the guitar now facing the mic. Can I get greedy here and set up 2 mics in those approximate positions or will I end up with phase issues? The mics will be about 15" apart but perpendicular to each other.

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic

4 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Acoustic Guitar Tracking 2008/10/30 12:34:34 (permalink)
    Hi Tom! Great to have met you in person!

If the mics are perpendicular to each other then you should not have phase problems IF they are in close proximity to each other - that's what the X/Y configuration does - it cancels the phase difference between the two mics for that configuration. however, at 15" apart, you'd need to either: make it into an ORTF configuration or NOS configuration, OR use a straight parallel configuration using the 3X distance rule. that means you have to have your source 1/3 of the distance that you have your mics spaced apart. in other words, if you have your mics 15" apart, then they would need to be 5" from the guitar.

here's an article on that:
    http://www.recordingeq.com/articles/321eq.html

hope that helps!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    tcaylor
    RE: Acoustic Guitar Tracking 2008/10/30 12:57:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

Hi Tom! Great to have met you in person!

If the mics are perpendicular to each other then you should not have phase problems IF they are in close proximity to each other - that's what the X/Y configuration does - it cancels the phase difference between the two mics for that configuration. however, at 15" apart, you'd need to either: make it into an ORTF configuration or NOS configuration, OR use a straight parallel configuration using the 3X distance rule. that means you have to have your source 1/3 of the distance that you have your mics spaced apart. in other words, if you have your mics 15" apart, then they would need to be 5" from the guitar.

here's an article on that:
    http://www.recordingeq.com/articles/321eq.html

hope that helps!

Nice to have met you as well!

It's amazing how something that appears so simple can be so complicated. Thanks for the links.

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Acoustic Guitar Tracking 2008/10/30 13:39:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tcaylor

I recently bought a Taylor Big Baby acoustic guitar, one of the cheaper Taylors but cheap is a relative term. I've been experimenting with mics and mic placement and found something I didn't notice before. I get a decent tone with the standard 10-12" from the 12th fret mic placement. I also noticed that I get pretty good tone if I just swivel my chair 90 degrees with the bottom of the guitar now facing the mic. Can I get greedy here and set up 2 mics in those approximate positions or will I end up with phase issues? The mics will be about 15" apart but perpendicular to each other.

Tom,

I think so, I've used two mics before one at the 12th fret and one down at the nut pointing back down the neck and the recording came out great. I was using two C414s in cardioid mode. It was a spoof (think Weird Al) of needle and the damage done with just the guitar and vocal so I decided to do stereo to get it as large sounding as possible. I'll play it for you some time, it really did turn out good.

By the way nice to meet you at the DFW SUG.. we need to get together and jam.
    post edited by ohhey - 2008/10/30 13:43:36
    tcaylor
    RE: Acoustic Guitar Tracking 2008/10/30 15:24:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey

Tom,

I think so, I've used two mics before one at the 12th fret and one down at the nut pointing back down the neck and the recording came out great. I was using two C414s in cardioid mode. It was a spoof (think Weird Al) of needle and the damage done with just the guitar and vocal so I decided to do stereo to get it as large sounding as possible. I'll play it for you some time, it really did turn out good.

By the way nice to meet you at the DFW SUG.. we need to get together and jam.

I think I'll try it and see what it sounds like for the hell of it. I only have one C414 though I have a CAD Equitek 100 and an MXL cheap condenser that both sound decent.

Nice to have met you too, I'm up for jammin' sometime.

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1