Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune

Author
CreatingNoise
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1666
2008/10/30 19:26:28 (permalink)

Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune

Hey folks, we are back again. Things have been moving quickly for us lately and we have another new tune called Bad Day. It is the top song at this link....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=833098

We hope that you are not tired of hearing from us and will take a listen. Feedback wanted and critiques welcomed as usual.

Tom: Synths, vox, lyrics, audio clips and mixing.
Robbie: Drums
Tony: Guitars, drum loops

Another tune in the vein of the last couple, short but trying to be interesting still. We hope you will listen and find something that you like.

21 Replies Related Threads

Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/10/30 20:08:57 (permalink)
    Man, I never know what's coming from you guys - I think I've said that before

Drums and rhythm guitars sound solid, as well as the lead vox. One minor crit - sounded to me like there was a loud vocal at 1:05. Overall the mix sounds great on my rig.

Loved the section from 1:12 through 2:08 - that was awsome, the rhythm and the vocal 'hey's. What was the synth tone in that section?

Excellent tune guys - lots of creativity and originality in this one.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/10/30 20:10:56 (permalink)
    Lots of creativity in yous guys. Good job.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/10/30 20:28:49 (permalink)
    Taylor - Nice catch on the 105 issue...hopefully I got it (I owe ya one!) I'll have to go back as see if I can figure it out (the synth sound) I'm pretty sure it was from Rapture LE. Glad you enjoyed the lil ride and once again thanks for covering our "6"

GH - Thanks for the thumbs up!...oh wait...your pic's always like that....never mind ;) Thanks again brudda...
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/10/30 22:56:20 (permalink)
    Pretty cool songs gents. Sounds great.

There did seem to be a few timing issues sprinkled here and there, near the beginning and after a couple of minutes (sorry did not note the exact times).

As a key player, I, of course, would liked to have heard more of the synth and have it a bit louder in the mix. It had a nice tone, but seemed "tentative" if you know what I mean (not affirmative).

Well done guys.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    SoulPuppy
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/10/31 01:29:18 (permalink)
    The percussion in that mid-section was the standout part for me. You guys really make me want to be less lazy! I'll give it another listen tomorrow. It sounds like another solid tune from you guys. Nice work.
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/10/31 10:58:13 (permalink)
    WOW, another thinker, out of the box tune. This tune came together nicely, love that funky feel. I love how you guys change the effects on the lead vox. I did have a problem with the drums on my end. They seemed just a bit on the low end and not as clear compared to the guitar and lead vox. GREAT TUNE, keep them coming.

LATER
    post edited by drumstixkev - 2008/10/31 11:04:10

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/10/31 13:29:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CreatingNoise

We hope that you are not tired of hearing from us and will take a listen.

No..and yes!

Love this, maybe your best yet guys. Man, that riffy section with the reverse reverbed 'hey's is just fantastic, almost Iron Maiden-ish there. Terrific stuff, don't let up.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/10/31 14:02:40 (permalink)
    "We're not in Kansas anymore"? Loved the lyrics on this Tom! Great singing and I must add that Tony's guitar kicks a** Big Time on this! You gents just get better & better with each tune, not only the playing, but the creativity that flows out is fantastic. Don't shut that faucet off man!

I'm heading down to Williamsburg, VA. this Sunday for 6 days, but the wife has me on a short leash as usual. It would've been nice to jam with you gents! Again, great song from a terrific crew.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/10/31 14:24:30 (permalink)
    Wow! This is solid! Great sound. I love the drums especially. Great playing and singing you guys!
    CreatingNoise
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/11/01 07:26:35 (permalink)
    Shad--thanks for giving our tune a listen. Thanks for the good feedback. Tom tweaked the drum roll at the beginning which was probably one of your timing issue comments. Tom has been venturing into synths with his keyboard on the last two tunes so the comment about him being tentative is probably right on. As he feels more comfortable with it, he'll be more likely to bring it up in the mix. Right now he is just adding a little light flavoring to the mix.

Josh--we appreciate the listen and the kind comments. Robbie and Tom did the drums very quickly the other day on this one. We usually only get Robbie's services for a few hours each week. So the drums are a mix of my original drum loops and Robbie's kit. Both Robbie and Tom like to use a combination of both and this tune was no exception.

Kevin--thanks so much for putting ears to the tune. Thanks for the kind comments. I agree, Tom created some really cool vox textures on this one. He goes for the mood and I got it loud and clear on this one! See the comment to Josh above about the drums, that could play into what you are hearing. Tom will tell you that he feels this is an area where he is looking for improvement, unfortunately if he looks to me for help, he'll be let down as I don't know jack about recording/mixing drums.

James--thanks for listening and letting us know we are not lousing up the joint with our stuff. Thanks for the kind comments. We tried some leads in the heavy area but the "heys" just fit so much better! Glad you thought they were cool.

Larry--thanks for checking this tune out and for your very kind comments. We'll keep the faucet open as long as possible, we are having a blast! We hope that our neck of the woods treats you and wife well this coming week. Enjoy yourself and don't forget to have some good old Pierce's BBQ before you head home.......if ya like BBQ! If you hear strange music wafting to your hotel room, it might be me and Tom working on the next one............or it could be demented Muzak. Have a safe and fun trip.

Janet--thanks a bunch for checking out the tune and for your kind comments. Much appreciated.
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/11/01 10:33:15 (permalink)
    When one considers what it takes to create a finished tune...hearing something like this is amazing. The spark of imagination for the idea and then the creative talent to not only write but perform the part. And not just any part...a part that "fits" -that captures the "soul" of the tune. The knowledge to take all these wonderful talents and capture them to share. Apply the recording tools/effects with taste that are so hard to use right.
    When all that happens at the level of this I'm simply amazed. When I listen it's with admiration and a big smile for a wonderful music creation by very talented musicians.

Ace.
    Michael

(Even the ending was there.)
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/11/01 11:41:24 (permalink)
    Like that thick dark guitar.

Drums need to come forward a little, vox back just a hair.
    Kick drum too clicky, too in front and too busy for my tastes on the 1:08 mark.
    Love hat Kansas-nod riff (Kerry Livgren, eat your heart out!) at 2:00.

Super cool track.
    CreatingNoise
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/11/01 18:13:44 (permalink)
    Michael--you are most kind with your comments. Thanks so much for listening. We are glad that you found much to your liking on this tune and are flattered that you found the song to meet the high standards you spoke of.

jamesyoyo--thanks for stopping in to listen, we appreciate it. Thanks also for your specific feedback and kind comments. I'll go back for a relisten with those things in mind.
    Ian Ferrin
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/11/02 18:11:56 (permalink)
    Very creative. Really interesting and compelling.

This'd be a nightmare to mix? I agree w/ jamesyoyo that the drums could be a bit, just a bit louder.

Probably, if you need to go to the next level w/ this you ought to take it to a pro studio and have them mix it. This is pretty good though just as is. Really great job.

Peace,

Ian

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
    CreatingNoise
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/11/03 10:19:48 (permalink)
    Ian, thanks for taking a listen. Tom does all the mixing on DT projects and spends quite a lot of time doing it, so I'd have to say yes, most DT songs are probably a nightmare to mix. Thanks for kind comments and for the feedback on the drums.

For now we are pretty happy just playing with the tunes ourselves but there may come a time when we want to see what the next level is like. Thanks for the comment.

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/11/03 21:52:12 (permalink)

Hi Tony

Another great piece of work from you guys - very innovative; I can't quite put my finger on why, but I feel like I'm listening to the b*****d love child of INXS and Talking Heads with this song, and I mean that in a very nice way

The middle part is worthy of a song on it's own, I really like that!

Cracking stuff

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

CreatingNoise
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/11/04 09:37:44 (permalink)
    Steve, thanks for taking the time to listen and for your kind and great comments. Indeed a b*****d child is a very welcome description of our work! Glad you liked the rocking part too. Tom will love the Talking Heads reference!

BTW--saw you over on the JP sound thread, nice work with the screen shots and stuff. You are a great source of info for all things JP! How you likin that Variax?
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/11/04 10:19:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CreatingNoise

Steve, thanks for taking the time to listen and for your kind and great comments. Indeed a b*****d child is a very welcome description of our work! Glad you liked the rocking part too. Tom will love the Talking Heads reference!

BTW--saw you over on the JP sound thread, nice work with the screen shots and stuff. You are a great source of info for all things JP! How you likin that Variax?

I am just loving the new guitar Tony - the models are very convincing, although knowing Line 6's stuff I sort of took that as read.

What's impressed me more is just what a nice bit of gear it is to play - I'd heard issues surrounding the build quality but I'm very impressed with both this and the finish.

Once you get used to the lack of 'real' pickups, and crank it up through one of the Line 6 amps, it's easy to feel like you're playing the 'real' thing!

Steve

CreatingNoise
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/11/04 12:31:40 (permalink)
    Steve,
    I saw some pics of your Variax in another forum thread and it is sweet looking for sure! Glad to hear you like it. I recall you spent a lot of time researching that move, sounds like it paid off! I'll have to pop over to your tunes, have you used it on any tunes yet?
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/11/04 13:04:31 (permalink)

I've laid down a bit of stuff with it Tony - mostly all works almost in progess though!

However, if you click on the SHS7XL-FIRST TRY link in my sig, I'm using it for the right panned rhythm guitar - I set it up using the Link 6 Workbench software as a Strat 'body' with a PAF 'pickup' (set at +3dB) in the bridge position... nice!

notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    RE: Bad Day, a new Distant Towers tune 2008/11/04 13:11:42 (permalink)
    This is very well done... Killer production...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1