Purpose of MIDI Output on a soft synth?

Author
RobertB
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11256
2008/10/30 23:04:03 (permalink)

Purpose of MIDI Output on a soft synth?

Hi all.
This question came up in a discussion in the MC forum.
What exacty is the purpose of enabling MIDI Output on a synth?
I figured if anybody could answer that, it would be P5 users.
post edited by RobertB - 2008/10/31 19:54:54

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob

4 Replies Related Threads

PaintedBlue
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Purpose of MIDI Output? 2008/10/31 00:24:07 (permalink)
    As an example, a common use is to capture the MIDI output from a generative drum synth (e.g., Jamstix, Groove Agent, Beatscape), then use the MIDI data to:

1. Drive the playback of a higher quality drum synth (e.g., BFD).

2. Customize the captured performance to better suit your project's needs.
    Chris in Indy
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: Purpose of MIDI Output? 2008/10/31 18:11:23 (permalink)
    I know this is going to sound stupid, but I use it to drive several different keyboards.

I will sometimes take the midi output from one of my arranger keyboards, and send each separate channel to a different keyboard synth midi input, which is hooked up to it's own separate audio amp, and speakers, and is also fed to Sonar via an audio input for recording. (I have a Delta 1010lt and can input/record several separate audio channels).

I can actually make it sound as if I am sitting in the middle of an ensemble of different musicians, all positioned at different areas around me.

If I want to be in the cello section, I can arrange my speakers to reflect the violin section to my extreme right, and the viola's to my left. I can put the woodwinds to my back, and the timpani far off to the rear.

I am sure this is not it's intended use ..................... but it makes for some fun in my little studio.

Chris in Indy ............... 
    Tascam US 2000, Behringer Power Pro 8, Akai MPD 18, Yamaha MG 82cx, Mackie MCU Pro, Mackie MR 8's, M Audio BX-5's, M Audio 61 es, Yamaha MM6, Roland SH-201, KRK-KMS 8400's, Shure SRH 1840's, Audio Technica AT 2020's, Windows 8.1 64 bit, Sonar Platinum, SoundForge 10, East/West Libraries, GPO, Real Guitar, Project 5v2, FM-7, 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Purpose of MIDI Output? 2008/10/31 19:51:02 (permalink)
    Reading my question today, I realize it was poorly worded. Maybe I can blame it on trying to think at the end of a very long day.
    What I was specifically asking about was enabling MIDI output when inserting a soft synth in a project.
    I've always viewed soft synths as sound modules, with audio output, and wondered what MIDI output there would be.
    PaintedBlue, your example shed some light, and makes perfect sense. Thanks.
    Chris, even though you are describing a hardware setup, conceptually it seems it is the same as the virtual arrangement I was asking about. Thanks, that also helps.
    This virtual stuff can get confusing, because you can't see the connections. Sometimes I have to step back to get a fresh perspective.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Purpose of MIDI Output? 2008/11/01 17:37:46 (permalink)
    What I was specifically asking about was enabling MIDI output when inserting a soft synth in a project.
    A good example for one type of end use would be HyperCyclic. It takes note input, and generates new notes at output, but based on the velocities and note values that you play. Because it's a VSTi synth, it won't be locked to a MIDI FX host, like Project5's or Cakewalk's arpeggiators.

HyperCyclic's forte isn't sound generation. It's MIDI note processing. So, when you Enable MIDI Output, all of those generated notes, sequences, and arpeggiations can be pointed at another synth. That way, you'll get the note processing power of HyperCyclic, but funneled through any synth / preset that inspires you. The enabled MIDI output is tied to the MIDI input on the synth of your choice.

As a bonus, HyperCyclic's output notes will all be recorded to track, allowing for some editing and fine tweaking later on.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1