Tweaking Dimension Pro Pads

Author
texasfrank
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
2008/10/31 01:28:28 (permalink)

Tweaking Dimension Pro Pads

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tweak the Pads so that they are more practical to use for an accompaniment to a melody? The problem (on many pads) I have is that when I play live I have to play the left hand accompaniment pad one or two beats before it is written to make it sound in synch with the melody because it takes that long for the pad to build up sound. I have tried dragging the first node in the amplitude modulator so that it doesn't start low but that's not doing what I want it to. I'm not sure if I want it to "play faster" but I wish it wouldn't take as long to get the pad playing at a decent volume.

5 Replies Related Threads

kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Tweaking Dimension Pro Pads 2008/10/31 02:29:30 (permalink)
    Then you have to discover which envelope of which element is controlling the attack. Sometimes its the amp envelope and sometimes its the filter envelope.

First let me ask, are you familiar with how an envelope is used to control the attack and decay of a synth sound? If not, there's a discussion in the manual.

Open the pad, Affected.

Note it has one and only element, which makes it easy.

This pad has a slightly elongated attack, and if you look at the amp envelope, you see the peak is around .5 sec.

However, the filter envelope has much greater influence on the attack. To prove this to yourself, reach up and turn off the filter -- just set it to Off, and listen to the sound. Do you hear how it now follows more closely to the amp envelope?

When you open the Filter envelope, notice how the sound designer implemented this filter envelope -- see that the first peak is around 2215 ms?

Return the filter to LP2, and drag that first envelope point back towards 400ms. Test the sound -- is that more responsive?

If not, then move it again to 200ms, and next, click the Amp tab and change the first peak there back to 200ms.

Play another note -- is this more of what you want?

When you have what you want, save your new Program to a separate folder -- maybe one called My Pads or something creative like that. Saving to a different file, you can always start fresh with the original programs.

One more thing before I leave you to your new career as a sound designer (to rake in the big bucks!) Learn to use the MIDI matrix -- more advanced sounds use the MIDI matrix for a surprising number of effects (even more so if you happen to own Rapture, also.) So if you can't figure out why a sound is behaving in a particular manner, and you've checked and rechecked all envelope parameters, don't forget the MIDI matrix. The programmer just may be doing something in there.

OK, one more thing after the one more thing -- One last place to hide effects is right in the SFZ files, themselves. SFZ files are nothing more than text files -- you can read them in any text editing program like notepad. They have a structure defined in the following file: SFZ Specification.

A designer can even embed commands in an SFZ file to manipulate both the amp and filter envelope of a sound. This kind of trick is not a common occurrence, and I don't really recommend you work this way, since DimPro and Rapture have far better tools for manipulating an envelope. The Dimension Pro and Rapture the designers have in general placed special SFZ files like these in folders named to indicate their uniqueness, ie, folder names like "Effects" and "Twisted Sfz". I don't recommending that you jump right into editing the SFZ files, in fact I caution you to stay out of SFZ files, that is if you value your free time. Just be aware that the SFZ file you happen to be working with may itself be the source of a particularly squirrely sound design problem that isn't revealed by careful examination of the program parameters -- and even then, assume you missed something! Envelopes in SFZ are rare, primarily because they're hard to get working. (For instance, see this thread: sfz definition filter eg ).

--kwgm
    texasfrank
    RE: Tweaking Dimension Pro Pads 2008/10/31 16:07:01 (permalink)
    Hi,

Thanks, I did follow your advice and moving the first node in the Amp modulator to the left. It brings me much closer to what I want. I will tweak all of the pads I like and make a new folder for them. That alone will make the presets useful to me.

I was able to turn that off the LP2P filter using the drop down box in the Filter section at the top of the DimPro control panel. I do not know what you mean by the following because I don't know where that is accessed in DimPro. Can you tell me how to open the filter envelope?

When you open the Filter envelope, notice how the sound designer implemented this filter envelope -- see that the first peak is around 2215 ms?

Return the filter to LP2, and drag that first envelope point back towards 400ms. Test the sound -- is that more responsive?"

I probably will never open up an sfz file but I did glance over the specs. Music is a hobby for me (I play favorite oldies songs for myself and friends) and that's looking a little too much like "work" to be fun! I will learn more about the MIDI matrix as that's visual and doesn't require text programming. If you know of any online resources that give a better explanation of how to tweak DimPro presets I'd appreciate a link. I read the brief manual that comes with DimPro twice. It is more of a quick start guide and it doesn't explain very much, particularly lacking in explaining what the modulators do. I look forward hearing your response about how to open the filter envelope.

Thanks
    kwgm
    RE: Tweaking Dimension Pro Pads 2008/11/02 00:54:10 (permalink)
    The filter envelop is in the mod section, exactly where the amp envelop sits. There's six modifier envelopes there.

Click the Filter 1 tab and you'll see the filter envelope. Click the Pan tab, and you get a Pan envelope. Click the Pitch tab, and you get the Pitch envelop. Click amp, and you get the gain envelope once again.

capisci?

If you don't, look in the manual.

--kwgm
    texasfrank
    RE: Tweaking Dimension Pro Pads 2008/11/02 14:10:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply. I'm seeing five tabs (not six) in the modulator section which seems strange. They are: Amp, Pan, Reso, Cut, Pitch. I double checked the pdf manual using a search and did not find anything about a filter tab either. The manual pictures only 5 tabs as well. I did experiment with it and I think what you're referring to is located under the "Cut" tab in the Modulator section. I did drag the first node to about 400ms and that improved the response time. Between the Cut tab and the Amp tab I can create the sound I'm looking for. Thanks for your help.
    kwgm
    RE: Tweaking Dimension Pro Pads 2008/11/02 21:29:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: texasfrank

Thanks for the reply. I'm seeing five tabs (not six) in the modulator section which seems strange. They are: Amp, Pan, Reso, Cut, Pitch. I double checked the pdf manual using a search and did not find anything about a filter tab either. The manual pictures only 5 tabs as well. I did experiment with it and I think what you're referring to is located under the "Cut" tab in the Modulator section. I did drag the first node to about 400ms and that improved the response time. Between the Cut tab and the Amp tab I can create the sound I'm looking for. Thanks for your help.

You're correct -- it's the Cut tab, for filter cutoff, to which I'm referring.

Sorry for the confusion.

--kwgm
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1