Another JamStix Question, I'm Getting There...

Author
soundchaser59
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 558
2008/10/31 19:28:54 (permalink)

Another JamStix Question, I'm Getting There...

If I understand everything I'm reading in the manual and trying on the screen, the basic idea behind JamStix is that it's a super duper software drum machine?

What I'm really asking is this - am I still looking at having to be a drummer by programming my own patterns and bars, and stringing the bars together to make parts, etc?

In other words, there are no canned patterns? (like there are, for example, in EZ Drummer?)

That's ok, not quite the hurdle I wanted to tackle, but it's ok, I can do it....... but if there are canned patterns somewhere, I'd sure be interested in that. I am not a drummer and never have been able to convincingly program realistic sounding drum patterns. Ok to fool the parents, but not to fool a drummer.

Also, if I understand correctly, I can more or less import the EZD patterns into JamStix and play them using JamStix sounds and drummers? If I do that, am I basically using JS as a sound module then?

I am definitely amazed at the program, it's awesome. But I need to find a shortcut that will let me avoid the intense pattern programming that I was not very good at when I had my old SR16. I was using the SR for sounds and playing and recording the patterns using 1 or 2 fingers on the piano keyboard (recorded by the sequencer) to pretend that I was the drummer. I am really good at programming midi notes, but I am not very good at knowing "W.W.D.D."?? (What Would Drummers Do?)

I will continue working thru the manual more tonight..... I have a new coffee maker!
post edited by soundchaser59 - 2008/10/31 19:32:33

10 Replies Related Threads

RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Another JamStix Question, I'm Getting There... 2008/10/31 19:58:07 (permalink)
    Well, I don't use Jamstix, so I hope I'm not wrong but I believe you basically start it and record the output to a midi channel.
    Then you can tweak it if you wish.
    You could certainly use midi grooves from EZ and have them trigger Jamstix, as long as the notes assignments are the same it would work.
    I'm sure there is a Jamstix user who will chime in soon.
    mose
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: Another JamStix Question, I'm Getting There... 2008/10/31 20:15:11 (permalink)
    Jamstix is so flexible that you can do anything you want. If you set Jamstix to jam, then the brain will come up with the patterns all on its own. That's why I got Jamstix. You don't need canned patterns. If you want to use canned patterns, though, then you can set Jamstix to jam with MIDI and send the MIDI track to Jamstix. You can set Jamstix to jam with audio and send an audio track to it. If that's still too much involvement by Jamstix, you can turn off the jamming and have Jamstix use the MIDI pattern as direct input. Even if you set Jamstix to jam with your song, you can still go back and edit measures in Jamstix by hand to add or remove hits and instruments. You can also drag the Jamstix pattern to a MIDI track and edit it further from there. You can do as little or as much as you want. I prefer little.

www.soundclick.com/russellmosemann (Electronica flavored ear candy)
    soundchaser59
    RE: Another JamStix Question, I'm Getting There... 2008/10/31 21:55:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mose

If you set Jamstix to jam, then the brain will come up with the patterns all on its own. That's why I got Jamstix. You don't need canned patterns.

I dont really WANT to use canned patterns if I dont have to, but I dont really want to spend the hours programming every little hit and shuffle and bar either.

What you said above is exactly what I was hoping for when I persuaded myself to buy it. I guess I haven't come to that part of the manual yet.

Does the "Brain" simply spit out random patterns in whatever tempo and time sig the sequencer is set at? Or does it actually have some way of detecting the patterns in the audio (rhythm guitar, in my case.....but might be keyboard at times) that I play as I play it? I dont see how it can do that, but be nice if it does..... so far, all I've read is that it will match the dynamics by adjusting the velocity of the hits according to how loud or soft I play.

Is this "jam and bam" ability coming up later in the manual? I've only read from the start, since it's the only way to know where to go later if I think of something I want to edit or try. But YES I would really love to play my electric guitar and have JS spit out patterns that match the rhythm of my playing. That would be super coooooL!
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Another JamStix Question, I'm Getting There... 2008/11/01 10:06:17 (permalink)
    It will follow the dynamics of audio or midi input to some degree but it will not syncopate. There is an AudioM8 plugin that you insert in the track you want Jamstix to listen to. It will adjust the power/velocity level based on the input coming in to it, if you want it to.

The patterns that the brain comes up with are based on the style and drummer you select, and on the manual adjustments you make with the sliders on the right side of the pattern screen.

The Poodle Chews It.

soundchaser59
    RE: Another JamStix Question, I'm Getting There... 2008/11/01 11:39:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Clydewinder

The patterns that the brain comes up with are based on the style and drummer you select, and on the manual adjustments you make with the sliders on the right side of the pattern screen.

This is key info! Thanks! I will focus on that angle when I get to that part of the manual.

I need to take a week off work so I can get to Xpert Level JS sooner!
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Another JamStix Question, I'm Getting There... 2008/11/01 15:18:51 (permalink)
    Soundchaser....

Once you get the hang of working with JS, you can open a new project... insert JS into an audio track, (track #1) choose the kit, style, & drummer, insert a couple hundred midi measures for JS to follow, and literally have a drum part in less than 10 minutes. Then take a few minutes to edit it..add about 20 minutes...maybe..... and you are done. The songs on my Soundclick site are all done with JS and the song "I'm Forgiven" was one that I spent less than 25 minutes TOTAL TIME on creating, and editing. It's that easy.

On entering the midi track: I normally set JS up to "Jam with Midi" so to do this I add a midi track (track #2) and using staff view, I add ONE quarter note. I copy and past that measure about 200 times. JS does NOT play that track, it simply looks and see's a midi track with data, and says to itself, " I need to play during this measure" and it creates it's very own unique drum track. If you set up JS 4 different times using this method, JS would play 4 slighlty different patterns each time.... it's as close to a real drummer as you can get...without the problems a real drummer has.

Go to my website www.herbhartley.com and read the stuff there on Jamstix.... I have some info that will help you get started.

Edit: BTW... I never touch the sliders and knobs in the control section called "The Brain". I just let it play..... having said that...it is possible to tweek and tweeze JS for hours upon hours to get the drums absolutely perfect...like a drummer might want.... I however, do not find that to be necessary.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/11/01 15:24:37

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    soundchaser59
    RE: Another JamStix Question, I'm Getting There... 2008/11/01 17:16:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

Soundchaser....

Once you get the hang of working with JS, you can open a new project... insert JS into an audio track, (track #1) choose the kit, style, & drummer, insert a couple hundred midi measures for JS to follow, and literally have a drum part in less than 10 minutes. Then take a few minutes to edit it..add about 20 minutes...maybe..... and you are done. The songs on my Soundclick site are all done with JS and the song "I'm Forgiven" was one that I spent less than 25 minutes TOTAL TIME on creating, and editing. It's that easy.

On entering the midi track: I normally set JS up to "Jam with Midi" so to do this I add a midi track (track #2) and using staff view, I add ONE quarter note. I copy and past that measure about 200 times. JS does NOT play that track, it simply looks and see's a midi track with data, and says to itself, " I need to play during this measure" and it creates it's very own unique drum track. If you set up JS 4 different times using this method, JS would play 4 slighlty different patterns each time.... it's as close to a real drummer as you can get...without the problems a real drummer has.

Go to my website www.herbhartley.com and read the stuff there on Jamstix.... I have some info that will help you get started.

Edit: BTW... I never touch the sliders and knobs in the control section called "The Brain". I just let it play..... having said that...it is possible to tweek and tweeze JS for hours upon hours to get the drums absolutely perfect...like a drummer might want.... I however, do not find that to be necessary.

Awesome assist here, Hacker! Thank You!

I just got done practicing the guitar lix for a Christmas play, so now I have my cup of fresh Kenya Java Cava ready and I'm about to tear into JS with real zeal. I will try it.

I'm afraid on some songs I need the drums to be "just a certain way precisely" and I will find that much easier to do now with JS, much easier than it ever was on the old SR16 drum machine locked to the Atari 1040 sequencer. (Yup! I go back THAT far! LOL!)

I love the John (Bonham) sounds the bst of all! He was the all time best rock drummer ever! Hard for me to say that, because I grew up listening to Mahavishnu (Billy Cobham) and Chicago, and I always wondered how they recorded and mixed Danny Seraphine's drums so tight and clean. But even he did not have the unique catchy signature that Bonham had!

Thanks again, very helpful!
    post edited by soundchaser59 - 2008/11/01 17:20:57
    soundchaser59
    RE: Another JamStix Question, I'm Getting There... 2008/11/01 17:57:30 (permalink)

....as close to a real drummer as you can get...without the problems a real drummer has.

You mean it doesn't drink, smoke, do drugs, eat my food, borrow my car, skip out on the rent, and....... oh, never mind! LOL!!
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Another JamStix Question, I'm Getting There... 2008/11/03 15:21:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: soundchaser59

....as close to a real drummer as you can get...without the problems a real drummer has.

You mean it doesn't drink, smoke, do drugs, eat my food, borrow my car, skip out on the rent, and....... oh, never mind! LOL!!

But it could steal you girlfriend if she's looking for something smarter than you.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Another JamStix Question, I'm Getting There... 2008/11/03 16:59:16 (permalink)
    quote:

ORIGINAL: soundchaser59

quote:

But it could steal you girlfriend if she's looking for something smarter than you.

Yeah...that's exactly what I meant.....and he don't show up 2 hrs late either.... or need a shower and deodorant.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/11/03 17:00:10

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1