Secure your computer! NOW.

Author
yasunali
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2008/11/01 04:55:35 (permalink)

Secure your computer! NOW.

i almost went mad when i was anoyed by virus. also,when i logged in other software forum, i noticed an increasing amount of threads here with people getting infected with various viruses, getting hacked etc. i guess many people here may have the same problems, so there comes this post, may this help you.

So here goes my quick and dirty guide to securing your computer.

1.Get a firewall
2.Get an antivirus program
3. Set windows to download updates automatically

Control Panel -> System -> Automatic updates
Check the checkbox, and tick the second or the third radiobutton.

This will be available if you are running Win2000 (latest Service Pack) or Windows XP. If you don't have the latest service pack for 2000, get it NOW. If you run Windows 98 or ME, don't run Windows 98 or ME.You can also go to Windows Update on a regular basis.

7 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Secure your computer! NOW. 2008/11/01 08:16:38 (permalink)
    Absolutely.

I recommend AVG 8 from Grisoft, very light on resources (although not as light as 7 for some reason, that was almost imperceptible)

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: Secure your computer! NOW. 2008/11/01 20:58:57 (permalink)
    I run the Windows firewall...but I never run a virus program. I would like to know how people get viruses on their computer. Don't tell me you are opening strange emails and clicking on exe files attached? Visiting salacious websites? Downloading from dubious p2p programs?
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Secure your computer! NOW. 2008/11/01 21:12:27 (permalink)
    There are some viruses and other malware that do not need you to open the email and click on things in a site.... they just kinda jump on board... I'd install some kind of viral/malware protection.

I use Computer Associates security suite.... it has all the stuff you need. I disabled windows fire wall..CA has one and I'm behind a hardware firewall as well. Kind of a pain at times but hard to be seen by hackers and bad people..... not impossible...just slightly more difficult for them. Plus, I never let this computer set & run all day long w/o me being on it...unless it's disconnected from the net.

I switched to CA from Symantic...because Symantic was getting pricy on their renewal costs.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jamesg1213
    RE: Secure your computer! NOW. 2008/11/02 10:58:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: montezuma

I run the Windows firewall...but I never run a virus program. I would like to know how people get viruses on their computer. Don't tell me you are opening strange emails and clicking on exe files attached? Visiting salacious websites? Downloading from dubious p2p programs?

AVG detected a Trojan Horse on my PC a few months ago. I suspect it was attached to a free plug-in I downloaded around that time, so be careful out there folks!

Jyemz

soundchaser59
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 558
    RE: Secure your computer! NOW. 2008/11/02 11:09:21 (permalink)
    Sorry to be the dissenting opinion here, but.......

All of these suggestions are absolutely the worst thing you can do to a music computer.

If you absolutely must use one computer for everything, then you have no choice but to install protection. But dont expect your music apps to run without problems then.

The real solution is to have a separate dedicated computer for the music/studio stuff that never touches the internet or the email, etc.... it does nothing but record and mix music.

Ya know, I had AVG on my office computer, but what good is it if it lets my computer get infected first, then after the virus has ruined everything AVG pops up and tells me the virus is there? Geeee Thanks...... then it was unable to repair it.

Good AV software should prevent the infection from happening at all. The only one I've ever used that prevented everything from infecting the machine was McAfee. I like Norton, but I've had a cople of viruses get past Norton and infect my machine, and Norton could not remove it. But that was a few years ago, maybe it's better now?
    post edited by soundchaser59 - 2008/11/02 11:11:33
    jamesg1213
    RE: Secure your computer! NOW. 2008/11/02 11:32:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: soundchaser59

Sorry to be the dissenting opinion here, but.......

All of these suggestions are absolutely the worst thing you can do to a music computer.

If you absolutely must use one computer for everything, then you have no choice but to install protection. But dont expect your music apps to run without problems then.

The real solution is to have a separate dedicated computer for the music/studio stuff that never touches the internet or the email, etc.... it does nothing but record and mix music.

Ya know, I had AVG on my office computer, but what good is it if it lets my computer get infected first, then after the virus has ruined everything AVG pops up and tells me the virus is there? Geeee Thanks...... then it was unable to repair it.

Good AV software should prevent the infection from happening at all. The only one I've ever used that prevented everything from infecting the machine was McAfee. I like Norton, but I've had a cople of viruses get past Norton and infect my machine, and Norton could not remove it. But that was a few years ago, maybe it's better now?

Not the case with the Trojan AVG found for me - it went straight into the Virus Vault without doing any damage.

Jyemz

RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Secure your computer! NOW. 2008/11/02 11:58:46 (permalink)
    I have separate PC's for recording and internet/email/other uses.
    I think that is the best remedy.
    I've never had a problem on my DAW, but recently, even with Kaspersky AV, I got infected on my other PC.
    All sorts of really weird activity and I was at the point of considering a HD wipe and starting over.
    I found this - http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
    They have a free version as well as a $25 version which includes real time protection.
    I ran this program and it found all sorts of stuff.
    Once the infections were cleared, my PC was back to normal.
    Just a heads up.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1