Sound Card problems

Author
Kluson 2003
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
2008/11/03 12:22:24 (permalink)

Sound Card problems

Hi Guys.
Dave the beginner here , hope you can help.
When I use GT3 I disable my sound card Soundblaster X-fi Fatality. and use the Pod xt with gear box.
Once I have finished recording and want to go back to the soundblaster card I get everything running fast and people have high pitched voices. Is there a way of using GT3 without disabling my own sound card.
I have been given a line 6 ux2 by a mate, should I use that instead of the pod?
Is there a way to use my own sound card with the UX2?
thanks again guys

5 Replies Related Threads

stratmanforever
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 453
    RE: Sound Card problems 2008/11/03 12:41:44 (permalink)
    Hold tight kluson. I myself aren't familiar with line 6 ux2 but there are people here at the forum with the same quipment you have and are very well versed at the problems you are having so don't go far cuz a solution is surely on the way. Sorry I can't help but I'm kinda a newby too.

[link=http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=877045][/link]

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Sound Card problems 2008/11/03 14:27:39 (permalink)

Dave, I'm not familiar with the POD XT but I do know my UX2!

You should be able to permanently hook up your TonePort and use that as your soundcard - it's got some well written ASIO drivers that, coupled with Line 6's 'ToneDirect' monitoring mean you should be able to record with unnoticable latency.

Then you can forget all about your Soundblaster

BTW, it's likely a mismatched sample rate (in the SB card) that's causing your playback woes.

Unplug your POD and then try opening GearBox with the TonePort plugged into a USB port (not a hub) and see if it recognises it. If it does, you're in business and you can disable the SB card, however, you'll have to hook up some speakers to the TonePort for playback.

Next step will be to set up GT3 to recognise the TonePort using the Options>Audio menu; if you get this far, you'll be cooking on gas Dave!

If you need any help along the way - post back, you know where we are!!

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Kluson 2003
    RE: Sound Card problems 2008/11/03 14:40:22 (permalink)
    Hi Steve thanks for that. Is the sound card in the UX2 better than the soundblaster?
    What do I do about speakers. at the moment if say I am listening to I tunes whilst I'm working will i be able to have the UX2 as the default soundcard.
    Right now I have Logitech 5.1 , Will I be able to use a sub with the UX2.
    I have a pair of Wharfdales but would need an amp for them.
    Is that right
    I guess the UX2 would become my default sound card? is that right|? Other than that I would have to buy a pair of active monitors? again is that right, Many thanks
    Dave
    SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Sound Card problems 2008/11/03 15:31:20 (permalink)
    Here we go Dave!

Is the sound card in the UX2 better than the soundblaster?
    For recording with, definitely.

What do I do about speakers. at the moment if say I am listening to I tunes whilst I'm working will i be able to have the UX2 as the default soundcard.
    Yes, but you'll need to connect either the UX2's ¼” analogue outs (x2 - one for each stereo channel) or the ¼” stereo headphone socket to an amp/speakers or to powered monitors; or use the digital or optical outs with compatible equipment.

Right now I have Logitech 5.1 , Will I be able to use a sub with the UX2.
    I'm pretty certain the UX2 can only work with stereo files Dave.

I have a pair of Wharfdales but would need an amp for them. Is that right
    I've never tried just running speakers direct from my UX2 Dave, but it works fine with a hi-fi amp (using two ¼” jack → RCA cables) and speakers.

I guess the UX2 would become my default sound card? is that right?
    It's up to you Dave - you can use the UX2 as your go-to card for recording and playback in GT3; if you want to also use your 5:1 system with the SB card as well then you'll have to swap between the two as required. Not ideal I know, but it does give you the best of both worlds.

Other than that I would have to buy a pair of active monitors? again is that right
    When it comes to mixing and mastering your recordings, a decent pair of (powered or unpowered) monitors will go a long way to making the process easier. My solution was to get a pair of Edirol MA-15D powered monitors (as recommended by Doc) which I connect to my UX2 using the digital out.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Kluson 2003
    RE: Sound Card problems 2008/11/03 15:55:26 (permalink)
    many thanks Steve, I really do appreciate all the help .

I am having problems with the plug in though.....Sorry!!

With a bit of luck the POD can go to E bay!. I can open the POD farm as a stand alone programme from my desktop with a short cut, but can't open from GT3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1