LAPTOP Top LIST !

Author
cryptexmarble
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 289
2008/11/03 16:08:53 (permalink)

LAPTOP Top LIST !

Now dear Cakewalk People --------

Just tell us in very logic words , and without feeling bad ,because of dissing some brands.

Or ---YEEAAH !!!!
JUST tell US please , which PRESENT available LAPTOP is best for use with Your fine product SOnar 8 Producer?

IT WOULD JUST LIGHTEN UP OUR LIVES ---and our musical souls --BECAUSE we could then work - with these machines which realy work!

What You think about ALIENWARE ?

ari

24 Replies Related Threads

Noah330
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 587
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/03 16:10:54 (permalink)
    MacBook Pro

Thread Closed
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/03 17:31:07 (permalink)
    Ahh not so fast there rambo the new MBP have Agere firewire which alot of interfaces do NOT work with.

to the OP google "pro audio laptop"

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/03 18:56:32 (permalink)

PSSST, ari. The first link will send you to Scotts business.

BTW Scott, I plan on ordering a laptop from you in the next couple of weeks. Is there a reason you only offer Vista 64 (not 32bit) on a laptop when it can't really handle more than 4 gigs anyway? Yes I know XP is better for audio, just a question.
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/03 21:22:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: cryptexmarble

ari

gamers laptop, is the first thing that comes to mind. high spec, but the price reflects that also. think of the desktop you could get for the same money and it would run rings around it.

depends if money is no object, but the laptop I have is ok considering it's age etc.. the main pc I use is far better.

as well as the laptop , there's the audio interface your considering.

to give a really objective / balanced view people would have to have used at least 4-5 different sorts and the thing with pro audio being pretty much a niche market. Of course there's the thing where some people have brand loyalty towards a certain brand.
    post edited by Fog - 2008/11/03 21:23:33
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/03 21:58:04 (permalink)
    I have a DELL XPS1710 Core2Duo 2.4ghz with 2 gigs of RAM. Even though it has the Ricoh chipset whhich has been known to be problematic with Firewire I have not had any issues (i'm aware of) with this computer. I have used both an RME FF800 and a MOTU 828MKII successfully with low latency.

SONAR 8 was very fast and smooth till 1 episode of motorboating of unknown origin that I have not been able to replicate. Have installed the 8.01 patch since and am now left wondering about future stability with S8. I ran S7.02 for the last year on this laptop without 1 single crash or stability issue.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    hugojacquet
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/04 03:59:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fog

ORIGINAL: cryptexmarble

ari

gamers laptop, is the first thing that comes to mind. high spec, but the price reflects that also. think of the desktop you could get for the same money and it would run rings around it.

depends if money is no object, but the laptop I have is ok considering it's age etc.. the main pc I use is far better.

as well as the laptop , there's the audio interface your considering.

to give a really objective / balanced view people would have to have used at least 4-5 different sorts and the thing with pro audio being pretty much a niche market. Of course there's the thing where some people have brand loyalty towards a certain brand.

pro audio laptop

Nope, no gamers laptop. Gamers laptops are optimized for games/ 3D visuals, not Audio! Furhtermore they tend to be noisy, runnig hot (fast video chip) etc...

The Business notebooks from HP and Lenovo (former ibm) are KNOWN to work well for audio. They have low DPC latency figures. Furthermore you can have them with Windows XP (or downgrade option from Vista).

For DPC latency look here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=588140&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#588140

And here:

http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

DPC Latency is not everything, but if you get HUGE spikes it IS everything, stuttering guaranteed.

Notebooks by pro audio builders are barebones (chassis+ motherboard+ video+ I.O) filled with a processor, ram etc...

There are only a few REAL notebook builders in the world, Compal and Clevo to name two of the biggest. I think Compal even makes the apples....

Pro audio system builders test these for audio compatibility and if a certain model works "right" they use that barebone until there is a new model that propably does not work and have to switch to another model or barebone manufacturer.

If you do a search for Compal, Clevo (SAGER) and more on the subject you will by comparision of the pictures find what barebone is used by what system builder...

A model that was used a lot is this one:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=29175

And this one:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=90846

Here is a shop in the netherlands that uses different barebone supplyers, but rebrands them all "BTO":

http://www.btonotebooks.nl/

Hugo

post edited by hugojacquet - 2008/11/04 08:05:34
    pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/04 07:40:15 (permalink)
    I'm using a 17" Asus-something (AMD X2 CPU) with a USB interface, and a USB external drive; I got it for €700 about 18 months ago, installed XP instead of the provided OEM V*st*

list of stuff
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/04 07:58:49 (permalink)
    IT WOULD JUST LIGHTEN UP OUR LIVES ---and our musical souls --BECAUSE we could then work - with these machines which realy work!

That's the thing...
    Preconfigured PCs (laptop or desktop) generally DO NOT make great DAWs.
    They're loaded to the gills with "value added" garbage.
    They typically suffer from high DPC latency (which a casual "office user" would never notice)
    They often have rogue chipset Firewire and Cardbus controllers (not Texas Instruments).
    They generally have slow internal HDs.

You're always best off with a custom PC for a DAW.
    You can buy quality components that are known to work well in a DAW... and configure the system to be lean/mean.

The closest you'll find to a good preconfigured laptop DAW is the (now) older Mac Book Pros.
    The 2.4GHz dual-core model was ~$2000. TI firewire and it works pretty well once you shut down networking features and keyboard management. The only downside is that the stock internal HD is only 5400RPM.

BTW, If you're used to the performance of a blazing fast desktop/tower, any laptop but the fastest available is going to be somewhat disappointing.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    hugojacquet
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/04 08:11:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hugojacquet

Nope, no gamers laptop. Gamers laptops are optimized for games/ 3D visuals, not Audio! Furhtermore they tend to be noisy, runnig hot (fast video chip) etc...

The Business notebooks from HP and Lenovo (former ibm) are KNOWN to work well for audio. They have low DPC latency figures. Furthermore you can have them with Windows XP (or downgrade option from Vista).

For DPC latency look here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=588140&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#588140

And here:

http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

DPC Latency is not everything, but if you get HUGE spikes it IS everything, stuttering guaranteed.

Notebooks by pro audio builders are barebones (chassis+ motherboard+ video+ I.O) filled with a processor, ram etc...

There are only a few REAL notebook builders in the world, Compal and Clevo to name two of the biggest. I think Compal even makes the apples....

Pro audio system builders test these for audio compatibility and if a certain model works "right" they use that barebone until there is a new model that propably does not work and have to switch to another model or barebone manufacturer.

If you do a search for Compal, Clevo (SAGER) and more on the subject you will by comparision of the pictures find what barebone is used by what system builder...

A model that was used a lot is this one:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=29175

And this one:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=90846

Here is a shop in the netherlands that uses different barebone supplyers, but rebrands them all "BTO":

http://www.btonotebooks.nl/

Hugo

If have done some research and am coming to the conclusion that a pro audio system builder is asking "a bit" more than a "general purpose" system builder, BUT not THAT much....

The advantage (obviously) going with them is that they tested (and bought!) all the "wrong" barebones for you only to withold "what works" (like having good low dpc latency figures...).

Not all are equal however and I would put my trust in ADK or Studiocat...

Hugo
    post edited by hugojacquet - 2008/11/04 08:16:49
    LOSANO
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 195
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/04 08:41:56 (permalink)
    Thosiba satelite with vista is among the best, for it is giving me zero latency, right now i've more than 15 tracks, but i'm still recording without major issues

S7PE, YAMAHA DGX 505, LEXICON OMEGA, CUBASE LEE, TASCAM DP-01FX, ALESIS SR-16, DISTORSION DS-1, Qosmio X775 / i5-2430M / 17.3" / 6GB / 640GB-7200, Alesis MultiMix 8USB, Toshiba -. Akai Professional MPK49 Keyboard USB MIDI Controller Regular, M-Audio FireWire Solo Mobile Audio Interface Regular,  MXL 990/MXL 991 Recording Microphone, Fostex Powered Studio Monitor Pair. MPK49.
    jcschild
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/04 09:25:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rumleymusic

BTW Scott, I plan on ordering a laptop from you in the next couple of weeks. Is there a reason you only offer Vista 64 (not 32bit) on a laptop when it can't really handle more than 4 gigs anyway? Yes I know XP is better for audio, just a question.

you can have Vista if you insist we still think its pointless and a downward choice.
    for the most part everything works with it but its a resource hog.

Scott
    ADK
    pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/04 10:37:12 (permalink)
    fwiw, it's a 2Gig Asus Aspire 9300, no probs but i'm not taxing Sonar too much either

list of stuff
    Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/04 11:11:53 (permalink)
    Hi Ari,

If you're interested in models that we have reviewed, check out our DAW Labs site and click on 'Buy A System' and then 'Laptops'.
    http://www.cakewalk.com/PCResource/

the new MBP have Agere firewire which alot of interfaces do NOT work with.

I have experienced similar results as well. If you plan on going with a new MBP it might be worth investigating a USB audio I/O solution.

Willy Jones 
    Cakewalk
    jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2765
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/04 12:15:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jcschild

ORIGINAL: rumleymusic

you can have Vista if you insist we still think its pointless and a downward choice.
    for the most part everything works with it but its a resource hog.

Scott:
    I'm not sure if you're saying Vista is pointless or XP is? Please clarify.
    Also, forget about Vista (especially Vista 64) if you have any TC Powercore products. The only available Vista 32 driver is a poorly-performing beta and TC has no immediate plans to do Vista 64 drivers - IOW - you'll see the next ice age before Vista 64 drivers.

Jack
    Qapla!
    jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2765
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/04 12:18:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: LOSANO

Thosiba satelite with vista is among the best, for it is giving me zero latency, right now i've more than 15 tracks, but i'm still recording without major issues

I have an older Toshiba Satellite 1955 with a 2.53 or 2.8 GHz P4 chip (depends on what specs you read), 1 gig ram, XP Home SP1, TC Powercore fw dsp, and can run 16 tracks no sweat with Sonar 5 Producer. Waiting on the smoke to clear on S8P updates before going that route; I've waited this long to upgrade, waiting for another few weeks won't bother me.

Jack
    Qapla!
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/04 12:20:26 (permalink)
    Wow, the odd thing though is that all these laptops are more expensive than getting the $999 just-older MacBook. I don't see why to not go for that and just beef up it's RAM.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    rumleymusic
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/04 12:23:33 (permalink)
    Scott:
    I'm not sure if you're saying Vista is pointless or XP is? Please clarify.
    Also, forget about Vista (especially Vista 64) if you have any TC Powercore products. The only available Vista 32 driver is a poorly-performing beta and TC has no immediate plans to do Vista 64 drivers - IOW - you'll see the next ice age before Vista 64 drivers.

He is saying Vista is pointless. He is right about it being a resource hog and a pain ITA to work with, but for those who want Vista, I am wondering if there is a specific reason why he doesn't offer the 32 bit version. TC isn't the only company that doesn't offer 64 bit support on their products. (Though I suppose you can just order a computer without the OS and put in the one you want)
    jcschild
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/04 16:23:19 (permalink)
    i offer it i just make you ask for it that way i can make sure you know what you're getting into and if it wll meet your needs or expectations.

Scott
    ADK
    rumleymusic
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/04 16:41:14 (permalink)
    i offer it i just make you ask for it that way i can make sure you know what you're getting into and if it wll meet your needs or expectations.

Oh I see. Just so you don't get anyone calling back saying the performance sucks without you being able to say "I told you so.."

I was planning on sticking with XP anyway.
    jcschild
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/04 17:34:03 (permalink)
    well we dont really lilke people ordering on the net... but it happens anyway.
    and we still end up calling to be sure we are meeting needs, the Vista thing is just one way to avoid that issue without a conversation.
    due to the many false expectations people have of Vista and the reality of the pitfalls for now we keep it that way.

on the video site vista is default on many systems. (video software has moved much faster than audio)

Scott
    ADK
    jb
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2020
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/04 17:41:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ...wicked

Wow, the odd thing though is that all these laptops are more expensive than getting the $999 just-older MacBook. I don't see why to not go for that and just beef up it's RAM.

And for $95 you can pick up a 320 g 7200 drive from OWC that pops right in.

Celeron 300A o/c 450, SBLive, Win98SE
    Stevvy McMantooth
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/11/05 10:34:21 (permalink)
    I humbly recommend the Stevv - 9000

That's BullSh%T Stevvy... and you know it!

stevvy - pronounced (St) + (hěv'ē) st-heavy
    cryptexmarble
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/12/21 14:22:21 (permalink)
    SO - DELL INSPIRONS ARE NOT GOOD FOR AUDIOPRODUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: LAPTOP Top LIST ! 2008/12/21 14:34:12 (permalink)
    For what it's worth, I had a Gateway that was useless for DAW work, and after I dropped it down a ladder at the theater I replaced it with an HP dv9830us, which is wonderful. I turn off wifi and other unecessary stuff and it works great. I've recorded multitrack (16 tracks @ 24/48) twice and it was flawless. :-)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1