OT-"project"

Author
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
2008/11/07 23:33:27 (permalink)

OT-"project"

I apologize up front for anyone who takes offense because of this message. It is not intended to be offensive in any way to anyone.

I'm thinking about the next project, because I finished the colab with Jan and Jon and have to pick one. And there are dozens... Some new (a passle) and some old?

And I started thinking about my old analog stuff. Songs I recorded starting in 1990 on a 4 track cassette analog recorder, with a Casio FZ1 sampler and some sequencer I can't remember.

It's 8 songs, and they all have stories (literally) and it was my first journey in to writing and recording. So rather than work on one of the new ones, I think I'm going to try to do this whole CD.

It's on cassette now, but it's 8 songs... It will be a project starting this weekend, but not ending next weekend... That’s going to take a year for me (God willing I’m still kicking this time next year) and that's if I work at it. I'm kicking it off 2morrow.

Is anyone else working on "a project" that is bigger than their next song? I mean something big? Something that will take a while? Or that’s just “big” for whatever reason?

**please note, this does not mean that your next song is not a monster hit, really good, or the best one you have done yet, please do not take it that way. It should be considered in the spirit presented, considering the thread as a whole.**

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

9 Replies Related Threads

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: OT-"project" 2008/11/07 23:55:22 (permalink)
    FWIW:

I started recording on a 4-track tascam back in 85. Moved up to an 8-track in 92. Have hundreds of songs. There are a few I have always wanted to remix/record. Let me tell you, I spent waaaaaaaay too many hours importing track by track, syncing them, and then screwing around with eqs and compressors trying to make it sound the way it was in my head, but at the time didn't have the tech chops to flush it out. Even re-recording them was more of a chore than a blast of creative juice.

After beating my head against a wall (and pissing off my wife!), I chucked the whole idea. I took two days and imported quite a few as a straight stereo mix from my old equipment, then took the wav file through Ozone and found all sorts of interesting things that I never could hear before.

I guess my point is this: my favorite songs are moments in my life that I captured in the moment. They may not be perfect, but they tell a story that is true. As I get older, I have come to the conclusion that those tunes should be left in the past, that the energy required to grab that lightning again could be better channeled after new pursuits. Sure, some incomplete tunes I have dredged up and finished, but that is a combo of old and new that I can live with.

As good ol' Walt Disney would say: "Keep Moving Forward". Best of luck.

post edited by jamesyoyo - 2008/11/07 23:56:39
    Nikolas
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: OT-"project" 2008/11/07 23:59:18 (permalink)
    I wish! I've been struggling both personally and technologically with two current tunes. The first being painful to complete over the last two months, the second only on it for the last day and I like it better than the first one. Part of me wants to just move on and part of me wants to go back. I think it is wise to go back and not junk what at one time felt like it was something worthy of creating (in my own mind anyway). I have four or five tunes I recorded on a Tascam digital 8 track before I moved on to computer recording. I never went back to those recordings, but it probably is worth exploring. I think it is great that you are going for it. I'll watch and listen and hopefully be inspired to do the same.

What's that screaching noise!

Dell Optiplex 755, 6550 dual core, 4G ram
    M-Audio Fast Track Pro
    Sonar 6 HSXL
    Violins and guitars

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=800951&content=music

Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: OT-"project" 2008/11/08 00:03:08 (permalink)
    When you're a one-man band such as I, each and every song is a "big project".

Taylor_514CMy Music:

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: OT-"project" 2008/11/08 00:14:01 (permalink)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/Douglas Kirby

“Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties.”
    -Erich Fromm

Same here, bro.
    Taylor_514C
    RE: OT-"project" 2008/11/08 00:20:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesyoyo

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/Douglas Kirby

“Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties.”
    -Erich Fromm

Same here, bro.

Right - probably just about everybody on this board is a one-man band.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: OT-"project" 2008/11/08 00:57:08 (permalink)
    James, I'm fealin ya...
    "I guess my point is this: my favorite songs are moments in my life that I captured in the moment. "
    Great point.. and on being a one man band? Welcome to the club! We've got jackets!

St. Nick, don't give up on your dreams.

Taylor, I agree being a OMB has it's challanges, but it has it's rewards too :-) No one to ***** at but your own self!!

post edited by robby - 2008/11/08 10:19:02

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    dudemanjch
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 584
    RE: OT-"project" 2008/11/08 02:08:28 (permalink)
    I am working on a "solo" project at the moment, which is liberating for me because I have always been the drummer in my other band.

I have 7 tracks on which I play everything (your standard drums, bass, gtrs, and vox) and started about three weeks ago. I am trying to have it done by early December in time for the "holiday season." At the moment, I have all the drums done, the bass on 6/7 songs, and guitar on 6/7 songs. Throw in some solos, write some lyrics/melodies, record 'em and knock that bad boy out.

It is a bit ambitious, and I have been criticized for "rushing" it, but I feel good about it and they are turning out better than anything I have done in the past. Some track demos can be heard here:

LRS Demos

Debut Album, all in SONAR!

Listen:
    Soundclick
    MySpace

Support:
    Facebook Fan Page

Purchase:
    iTunes
    Amazon.com
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: OT-"project" 2008/11/08 10:07:34 (permalink)
    Nope, I've done that before though. Basically a "concept album" - took me about a year. I started feeling kind of trapped by it, like I was confined to working on material that fit a certain style. But it was a real sense of accomplishment when it was done. Look forward to hearing your progress as this comes along!

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    Taylor_514C
    RE: OT-"project" 2008/11/08 10:35:32 (permalink)
    Robby - that's the problem, that there is nobody else besides me to **** at but myself. At least when I was in a band, I could blame somebody else

But seriously, regarding projects, I want to finish up recording solid demos of songs I've written, and then move on to writing and recording newbies, so that's my project. Regarding the schedule, it's all a matter of how much time each track and song takes. Some days I just don't have the inspiration, so I have to back-off and revisit later. If I lay down tracks when I'm not inspired, it sounds like garbage, so there's no point in doing so - best thing to do is to wait until I'm in the groove again.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1